Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repair info for E65
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:38 am 
I have just bought a Pouch E65 made in GDR about 1990 or earlier. I need to replace one of the stringers as well as refasten heaps of joints as it's been used in saltwater. I understand the stringers to be made from beech or ash. Is it ok to use oregon instead. Alloy rivets seem to be used extensively as well as steel screws and most of these are corroded in varying degrees. What can be used to replace these? Fortunately the skin is in excellent shape. Any help appreciated, Regards Peter from Brisbane, Australia

Post subject: Re: Repair info for E65
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not familiar with a wood called "oregon". You want wood with the straightest grain you can find and a minimum or knots- ideally it should be clear. Ash is ideal. Elm, white oak, and honduras mahogany come to mind. You also want to use woods that are rot resistant, like You can replace the rivets with new ones, and the corroded screws with stainless steel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:41 pm 
Thanks Michael. What we call oregon pine you would probably know as Douglas Fir. Ideally I would like to use the same species of timber as originally used. I will get in touch with Pouch in Germany. I just thought I could connect with someone who has this particular model or similar and could point me in the right direction. Regards, Peter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Ah. You left out the "pine" in your original post. ;-) I don't know why you couldn't use a good straight grained spruce, pine, fir, or cedar. Similar softwoods are commonly used in non-folding skin on frame kayaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:30 pm 
Thanks Michael. Over here we drop the pine and just call it oregon. Nth/Sth hemisphere differences eh? Anyway I have a few options re straight grained, lightweight ,moisture resistant wood so no worries there. I had hoped to connect with someone that owns one of these to swap notes but I guess there are not too many left of these now. Cheers, Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:59 pm 
The kind of wood you are looking for is ash wood indeed, a hardwood but also flexible. Beech is not ideal because of high weight and less flexibility, you could only use it for the ribs, but it is not first choice.
Skin-on-frame constructions feature a larger number of rods and so the stability of softwoods will be sufficient.