Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:44 pm 
Hello!

This is wonderful to find a forum on these boats.

I have an old 18'-foot long Pouch 2-seater built around 1968. The wood is in fair shape with one broken piece that I am replacing when I get a little time. But the skin is finished. It is shreds. I have not thrown it away since I am not sure if I can save anything from it. It was handed down to me from my mother and has been in the famly for some time so I thought I would go through and restore it. I know that newer models are far superior to this one but I don't know whcih way to go with it.
I would like to get a new skin for her and wonder if anyone knows where one could be had within reason.
I am in Maine. Can anyone help with information?

I also have a steering and sailing rig with this boat.

Post subject: New Pouch skin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 pm 
Keep the old skin, it can be used as a template for a new one. If you can't find somebody in the US to make you a new one, you order a new skin from Pouch in Germany. Or you can ask Ralph Hoehn, http://www.pouchboats.com/ although I never got a reply from him when I used the forms on his website or his email address.

If you have a RZ 85 (most likely), you can even order a new hull online at http://www.poucher-boote.de. A new skin in PVC would cost 535 euros without tax, which is pretty cheap for a new hull. Don't get red, it seems to fade very quickly. Shipping cost is quite reasonable, I looked into it once (DHL).

You might be interested to hear that Marian Gunkel says on his Pouch boat pages ( http://www.pouch-inoffiziell.de ) that the quality of the boats has decreased between the 1960s and 1989. So your kayak is probably higher quality than a newer boat from the 70s or 80s. Many people in the German forum faltboot.de think that the RZ 85 is one of the best designs for a double, except for the assembly. Some even think that it is the best double of all, but some East German pride might be involved there...

Post subject: Re: New Pouch skin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:59 pm 
Anne wrote:
Keep the old skin, it can be used as a template for a new one. If you can't find somebody in the US to...

Thank you very kindly, Anne.
I am working on all of this info you've stated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:16 pm 
Just to add, If I had to "shoot from the hip" that is find a way to get my own skin, I'd start at a tarp shop. As Anne said, you'd be able to use the old skin as a pattern. You can use your choice of hull materials from PVC, hypolon, cotton or synthetic decks, etc. A tarp shop would have the necessary sewing machines to go through these materials, + be able to mount the necessary grommets (if any). They'ed probably be more expensive than Anne's resource (which is probably better anyway), hense my referal to "shooting from the hip".

If you haven't already started repairing your frame, I'd recommend trying to match your wood as much as possible. I've seen some rather badly botched repair jobs with regular marine plywood and pine 1 x 1. If your Pouch is like many wooden framed boats, it may be constructed of Baltic Birch plywood and ash for the longerons. I can say from personal experience that ash and birch (my Klepper) are a much better choice than marine plywood and pine (my Folbot). If you have any hardware needs, chances are that Anne's resource is also you're best bet.

"Saludos"

Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:24 am 
I went to the Poucher site and got some dodgy feedback from the Browser when I clicked around a bit too much I did not have my translator on so it could have been anything. But I wonder if there have been any issues getting say a hull(new skin) where use your credit card to pay for your purchase. Is there a possibility of fraud? I sent a query in English and got a reply they said there was no agent in New Zealand which did not surprise but did seem keen to make a sale. Given that the Ralph guy does not answer his email in fact it bounces back are they a legitimate business? I just went back to the site with the translator on and it was the proceed to check out connection and at that stage the warnings started popping up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm 
I tried out the Poucher Boote online shop. When I went to the checkout, a warning came up that their security certificate is self-signed. I know that the company and website is legitimate, at least it was a couple of years ago when I bought some parts. If you don't want to buy the skin via the web you could try it over the phone by credit card, if they ship to NZ.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:44 pm 
Thank you Ann I will do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Mark Ekhart at http://Longhaulfoldingkayaks.com has also been known to make new skins using the old one as a pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 am 
forum fanatic

I don't know how things works where you live, but in Sweden the RZ-85 seems to rather common -- not common in lakes or at the see, but common in basements and closets...

So once in a while people seems to find the sacks and try to sell them for totally random prices.

I have seen at least two almost unused complete vessels for less than 200 euros. And that is very much less than a new made hull should cost. So perhaps it is the same where you live.... if you just wait you can find a complete kayak at a low price.

/Erik

Klepper Aerius II (late 70-ties) with Sail rig
2 * Klepper Aerius I (late 70-ties)