Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:03 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi! (FIXED)

I recently bought a never used RZ85-3. I have some problems though:

One missing piece (the back part of the rail)
This seems like a simple one to build. Can anyone supply me with some pics and measurments?

I have two frame 3 and no frame 5!
Shouldn't be so super hard to convert one of the frames. Can anyone compare frame 3 and 5 and tell me if it should be possible.

The next super big problem is actually solved: The skin was extremely tight... but with cupé heaters for a car and much violence -- I finally got it stretched.

Thanks!

/Erik S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:56 am 
HI Erik,
have you solved the problems with frame 3 and 5 ?? i have a RZ85-3 and if you want some help no problems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:06 am 
Starback wrote:
... The next super big problem is actually solved: The skin was extremely tight... but with cupé heaters for a car and much violence -- I finally got it stretched ...

That seems to be a general problem with PVC hulls. The owners of those boats in faltboot.de recommend treatment with warm water or laying the hull into the sunlight (sunshin provided :mrgreen: ) for a while. It will expand and get more supple.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:29 pm 
Frame 5 is 80cm wide (widest point),frame 3 just 77cm. Frame 3 is higher, parts of it have different angle.

Good news: The parts of the ribs are screwed. If you have two of them frame part 3, you can built yourself one frame 5 from a frame 3 quite easily. I could help with detailed photos and exact measurements.

Regarding tightness: A tight hull is good, but if the hull is sitting too tight on the frame in length, the bad result will be a boat with a negative rocker after a period of time. You find that neg. rocker on some of the former GDR folding kayaks, RZ85-3s and Kolibries, because of that. People of Germany nick-named these boats as (the only) GDR bananas (bananas were rare fruits in the former GDR), so be alerted. Try to adjust the frame if it is possible or sand it a little shorter at bow and/or stern. Start building the correct rib, the hull should fit much better after that.

regards, Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:57 am 
Regarding rocker sort of. I looked at an RZ-85 this afternoon and the guy selling showed me that it was possible to lift the stern an inch and a half say two inches and the midships remained on the floor is that much flex a good thing? It is an old boat I should point out. And is it clearly denoted on the rods or frames whether it is an RZ85-3 or when it may have been manufactured as there is no documentation remaining with it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Thomo wrote:
Regarding rocker sort of. I looked at an RZ-85 this afternoon and the guy selling showed me that it was possible to lift the stern an inch and a half say two inches and the midships remained on the floor is that much flex a good thing?

What matters is how the boat performs once it's in the water. Many wood-framed boats are pretty flexible on land but perform just fine once launched.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 am 
forum fanatic

Thomo wrote:
And is it clearly denoted on the rods or frames whether it is an RZ85-3 or when it may have been manufactured as there is no documentation remaining with it?

It is normally printed in the "ladder"-piece, but it can fade away rather much. If you don't understand what the "ladder" is, then it is not a RZ85-3 :-)

In Sweden I have seen at least 10 old Pouchs for sale, and all except one has been RZ85-3. The other was some RZ85 variant with bottom piece of plywood (not ladder like) and also the most other parts in plywood. I searched some then, and got the impression that that version was a very bad variant.

/Erik

Klepper Aerius II (late 70-ties) with Sail rig
2 * Klepper Aerius I (late 70-ties)