Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:45 pm 
paddler

I've nearly finished repairing my 1950s RZ85 and put it together today. It went together beautifully once we had overcome our reluctance to apply the required pressure to join the sides in the middle. That needed courage, since each end seemed to be in as far as was possible and we had at least 2 inches overlap at the mid-point. Once done, of course, no problem. However, I'm thinking of making a modification and would be grateful for some advice.

I'm going to have to re-install the bow and stern pieces, but I'm concerned that these have to be screwed through the skin. I'm only intending to use the kayak on quiet local rivers here in Brittany, so I'm not going to use the rudder. I'm therefore considering sealing both bow and stern, rather than using the metal strips on the outside. The internal wood pieces can be fitted into the slots in the front and back assemblies - we tried this today on a temporary basis and it worked perfectly. What material and adhesive should I use to do this, assuming that it's sensible to do it?

Regards,

Folbot Citibot
Advanced Elements AF Sport
Pouch RZ85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Michael, your description of the bow and stern fit is beyond anything that I've seen in a folding boat. I find it a little hard to imagine through holes between the skin and the frame. Could you post some pictures of what you've got? It may provide some more insight for people viewing this thread and offering advice.

Some of these older designs are really interesting and might offer some new ideas to us folk that don't know no better... ha.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:12 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

This set up is actually pretty common in many of the German folders, but not Klepper! At bow and stern you have the internal deadwood and external metal trim pieces permanently attached to the kin, usually with screw through the skin. This entire assembly is clamped together, much like the rudder fitting on our Kleppers. Nose around the German site faltboot.org a bit. As an example, for this Pouch click in the upper bar on "Typen", then "Faltboote", then "Werfte". Enter "pouch" in the box above "Weft", click "filtern" and all the versions of the Pouch business appear! Click on "VEB Wassersport und Campingbedarf -Pouch", then "modellvarianten", select "Pouch-RZ85-1". Below the nice overall photo are a number of words in blue, clicking any osf these opens a new window with a nice photo. Click on any named "Bugsteven" or Hecksteven", especially any followed by "todhoelzer". This will show a photo of the deadwood, stem and metal trim.
Hope this mini tutorial in navigateing the, IMHO, most informative site for "old school" folders helps!

To get back to Michael's question on fixing the deadwood, I would recommend strapping the deadwood to the internal stem, maybe with gaffers tape, or nylon webbing pulled taught and secured. Alternate might be double sided tape to stem or skin? It is typical to wire the deadwood to the stem, for both photo's of the frame and when making a replacement skin. Can't really get a good fit without doing that!

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:38 am 
paddler

Dennis, your question has been has been comprehensively answered by Chris - thanks to both of your for the interest and advice. I followed Chris's excellent tutorial, which clearly illustrates the way the RZ85 is put together - you just need to imagine the skin between the wood parts and the metal strip. I've also found a parts diagram of the RZ85 at www.patcool.de (click on 'Pouch', then 'RZ85 1 bis 3 von Pouch', then 3rd item 'RZ85 - Gernstzeichnung'). Parts 01.111 and 01.211 are inside the skin, and parts 00.303 and 00.304 are on the outside.

I've definitely decided to fix the stem and stern pieces to the bow and stern assemblies using brass plates. This means that I need to seal the skin (which has screw holes in it). I don't have a repair kit - what's the best way to do this?

Michael

Folbot Citibot
Advanced Elements AF Sport
Pouch RZ85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:52 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Michael,

Does your hull still have the PVC strips on the bow and stern? If these are just loosely glued on, you can replace them with new PVC strips. Otherwise, I recommend new strips either a bit narrower, or clearly wider than the old strip. These can be glued to the hull with H-66, or vinyl glue.

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer