Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:04 pm 
Hi Everybody,

I'm new comer in kayak and 6 months ago i've found my light craft choice : complete Pouch RZ 85 with all original sail (main sail + jib).

Assembling
After having checked all parts in order to see that nothing was missing, i began with bow and stern. I had doubt about wood resistance when i put a lot of pression in the center part in order to place all wood part in contact with the skin, a little afraid but it cames good.
The second difficulty was assembling the edge of the cockpit, wood part and hole were sometime very hard to map in place, better to be 2 persons at this time.

Preparing sail rig
After having changed sheets of rudder, i used the center wood part which sustains leeboards to insert one clam cleat in the center for main sail and 2 laterals for jib sail. My idea was to not add a second wood support to limit adding elements. Focus on simplicity. Better place for leeboards is perhaps just behind the mast, in front of the advanced seat, but i want to control everything in the rear seat.
I've tuned an old windsurf trolley to launch the kayak in the water and walk short distance separate me from the beach.

First time....prudence is always the best choice
We go on the river, prepare the sail, water condition is flat but as usual there's some current and the main preoccupation is wind looks to increase consistently, around 15 knots. I've never tested this kayak without sail, i'm ready to go with a 10 years old child with me...so 2 or 3 seconds after seat in, i note immediatly than capsize or difficulty to deal with our direction could occur, i jump out (i can walk easily...not swim !) and decide to forget the sail for this test, too much wind and so inexperimented, bad idea, i'll test it another day alone in 5-10 knots maximum.
We went with paddles, and 10-15 minutes after gone, i really appreciate the smoothly efficiency of the rudder, stability is perfect, and we take a correct speed with few effort. Pleasure to discover our river on a light craft versatile and precise is very cool, we've a lot of pleasure. Very few water comes in, i use sponge to clean it.

Security
Even for a small daily adventure, i took my mobile phone in my PFD, water, food and dry suits in waterproof bag attached behind me, sponge, bailer, 2x10 meters sheets to fix the boat or for dragging. Flottation bags : 60 & 45 liters at extremities.

I've repeated twice this experience with my 6 years child, with big pleasure to experiment silence and different point of view so close to glassy water. These test convince me Pouch was the good choice for me, it takes place (5,50 m long) in the garage but his capacity to go with 2 adults and material will be appreciate to go for more consistent daily adventure...and finally testing the sail.

As sailor fan, i can't imagine paddling too strong if the wind can take me to the right place...

Last edited by Confotasao on Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

A beautiful boat you have there. Thanks for posting. I look forward to hearing how you get on with the sail.
Merci,
Ian

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

What a great looking boat, and a great start in this sport, your young one will have super experiences and memories.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:23 am 
Thanks for your positive feedback.
I'll test the sail in situation just next august, not before.
I'll make a complete feedback in september.
:wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:09 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Gorgeous boat! Is this a brand new boat? Sure looks like it.

Jarmland's advice for the sail is excellent... a nice lake would be advantageous as well.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:41 pm 
Yes i've to try sail in softer condition, i know keeping main sheet in hand is very safe, but it may also be very boring (i remember my Optimist learning) or tiring, i've to practice, less than 10 knots for first approch.

My boat must be a new old stock or something similar, everything is really in good shape.

Good to read that RZ-85 is hard to capsize, your experience of sailing is precious.