Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E68 Excenter's Broken
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:20 pm 
Yesterday, when I pulled the frame from the single's skin, the excenter, that is, the thing that tensions the frame in the skin, came apart. My guess is it probably cracked-through during assembly, and held together well enough until the lever was released during disassembly.

I fished the broken bit out of the skin - here're a couple of pictures: the first one blurry but showing more of the broken part; the second clearer, but showing less...

Ugh, no more solo expeditions until I get this fixed :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 pm 
Shucks! :( Is the factory going to honour any warrenty replacement?

-Andreas

Post subject: Heh, heh, heh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:28 pm 
I don't think so.

Pretty sure this is one of the first boats Ralph Hoehn imported to use as a demo and mods boat, and is the one pictured on his website, pouchboats.com - it's manufacture date is probably '00. Demo boats probably have no warranty, and this boat is so old as to be out of warranty. Never even thought about whether Pouch has a warranty...

I'd originally imagined I'd cut a new piece from wood, but the repeated stresses to which that part is subjected would probably require greater resiliency than, say, plywood or something else as readily available.

Ralph suggested cutting another from some HDPE, which is probably a more durable material than the odd-feeling plastic/nylon/dunnowhat material the factory used. This, I think, is the best idea. I'll try to find a cutting board the correct thickness, or close enough to snug with washers. Failing that, I'll check Tom Yost's site for a materials supplier.

Chris