Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pouch paddlers here!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:45 pm 
If you are a Pouch owner lets start sharing information.
I have a 2001 model E-68. I've toured with it, but now using it to paddle around Mochima National Park in Venezuela.
Each time I paddle my Pouch, I learn a bit more about it, and paddling in general. Overall I like the boat.

Post subject: Pouch RZ96
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:36 pm 
I'm a proud Pouch owner but sadly, the RZ96 is on a different continent. Should get it sometime this summer. I hope the re-designed steel connectors on the frame work well.

Anybody with a Pouch with the new clips (probably only on 2005 models)?

Post subject: Pouch connectors
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:32 pm 
Anne,
Ralph sent me some new connectors, the pin-in-the-hole-then-twist kind because mine where rusting due to salt water paddling. They are sitting in a box because the originals are rivitted on big time! He says the new connectors are stainless and should not rust. I am just wondering the best method of putting on these new connectors.
I only live and work in South America, but I am from the USA. I accepted delivery of my E68 in Anacortes, WA in the summer of 2001. So how does your RZ 96 rate? I've thought about getting one.
Barin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:29 pm 
I believe my connectors are slightly different from the pin-in-the-hole-then-twist kind. Here is a picture (click on picture titled "Klappbeschlag").
http://www.poucher-boote.de/index.php?id=75

I was trying to find out about the different types of connectors before buying the boat, because I read that the first RZ96s had some terrible metal/plastic connectors that wear out after a few times. From what I understood from the faltboot.de forum, Pouch then introduced the pin-in-the-hole-then-twist kind. They work well (hold the boat together), but the twisting appears to be hard. The new kind seems to pin-in-the-hole-then-fold (instead of twist). I can't tell you much more because I havn't seen the boat yet. But once my brother has assembled and used the boat, I should know more about the connectors and the rest of the RZ96.

I believe there was a discussion on the German forum about replacing the metal-plastic connectors with the stainless steel one and how to put them on. I can look for the thread or you can try posting the question in English. There are plenty of Pouch users in the forum. http://faltboot.de/forum/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:11 pm 
My connectors are like the ones shown on Ralph Hoehn's Pouch website, http://www.pouchboats.com, pin-in-the-hole-then-twist (BTW thats me in the Venezuelan pictures). They are all metal, but I guess I got an early version where they are not made of stainless steel hence the rust.

Right now I am trying to combat the rust and prevent more by using the marine spray lube on the connectors. This makes them easier to twist too.

I am planning on getting a Dremel and wire brush attachment to clean the rust then painting the connectors with marine-grade paint.

The rusting connectors is my biggest gripe of the boat. Otherwise I like it. In fact, the more I paddle it, the more I like it.

Ralph was trying to convince me to get the RZ96 a few years ago, but I have an older Klepper Aerius II Expedition that is in good shape right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:22 am 
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a used E-68, for about 1000 €

Got any opinions, recommendations?

How long does it take to assemble?

Any advice appreciated!

Post subject: E68
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:31 pm 
I don't know much about the E68 but since nobody else has replied, here is what I read in forums:

- the E68 performs well
- assembly is easy
- the boat is very heavy

I believe Pouch doesn't make the E68 anymore. They developed the SZ2005, their new fast single.

$1000 euros sounds a little expensive for a used E68. But if you like the boat and if it's in good condition it might be worthwile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:10 am 
Thank you for your reply - I also find it a bit expensive..

I might go and look at it this weekend, but the seller doesn't want to spend the time of letting me try it out in the water first, which also makes me a bit sceptical

It would be nice to get a folding kayak, though, since I don't have a good place to store a hardbodied one, and I live just a couple of hundred meters from the nearest body of water

All the best/ Torbjörn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:57 pm 
Ease of assembling should be you first priority - since you'll have to do this every time. With long or difficult assembling (say, more than 30 minutes) you will be reluctant to go for a short Sunday trip, and eventually will be using this boat very infrequently. At least, the seller should allow you to assemble it. I think, the lowest price I have ever seen for an old Pouch at ebay.de, was 350 Euro. Price can be higher when skin is better - new skin costs more than 60% of the new kayak price.
Alex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:46 pm 
The E68 is one of the heaviest singles. Even if you are only a couple of hundred metres from the water, you will appreciate a lighter weight kayak. The Pouch E65, Klepper, Folbot and Feathercraft singles are all lighter than the E68.

Post subject: E68
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:47 am 
I haven't checked this site lately...sorry.
I have an E68 and it is light enough to carry and load on top of my car. I don't know what heavy means. I guess it weighs about 20 kg. But my other kayak is a Klepper Aerius II Expedition and its a behemoth at about 40 kg.
It is fast. It seems to cruise at 4 knots in calm water (Beaufort scale 1 - 2). In chop (Beaufort 3 - 5), perhaps 3 to 3.5 knots.
Assembly time does take a while. By the time I get all the details done, i.e., extra floation, rudder cables/foot pegs, deck bungees, water bladder, etc. It takes about 50 minutes. The Klepper assembly time is faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:24 am 
Thank you all - this is very good info :)

I've noted that it's pretty hard to find this information - it seems kayakers aren't very 'online' - maybe because they preferr to be 'onwater' :)

I am growing doubtful of this kayak - if it takes such a long time to assemble (as one poster noted), then there is of course the risk that I won't take it out as much as I would otherwise

The reason that I'm looking at this particular model is that there's a guy selling one in a city nearby (Stockholm) - a New folding kayak seems to me to be too expensive for a kayaking beginner like myself.. it's a bit of a dilemma, but maybe I should be satisfied with just renting kayaks (at a place a bit outside town) for a while

Or maybe it's time for "Plan B" - getting a girlfriend with access to a house near the water ;)

Thanks, and have fun on the water!
/Torbjörn