Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pakpod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:38 am 
is it possible to mount the pakpod behind the seat as opposed to the front ?

Post subject: Re: Pakpod
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I expect so. Pakpod needs 2 pairs of dees. The foremost pair of dees on the Swift stern are actually alongside the coaming, so you probably wouldn't be able to use those, and you'd need to fit it to the back two pairs. The straps are adjustable.

However, you'd lose the advantage of having a readily-accessible deck bag. Also, it would be less convenient for long-legged people who sit on the back deck to get legs in.

I bought a Pakpod recently. I haven't used it for re-entry practice, but I have put it on the paddle as an outrigger, and checked that I can lean quite a lot of weight on it. It's much more buoyant than the foam paddle float I used previously (because it has more volume). And it makes a good deck bag.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 am 
faltbootemeister

I have used the Pakpod several times on the Wisper. If it was just a bit shorter it would be easier to reach all the way in from the cockpit.
Stil, I have not used it as a paddle float. On a dry run, I could not clip the forward part to the straps... again, I find the bag to be too long to reach from inside the cockpit.
...or maybe there's a trick there I don't know about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yes, I remember finding that getting the front buckles done up from the Wisper cockpit was a bit difficult. I think I managed to get one of them done, and left the other one until I was somewhere I could land. I wasn't wearing a sprayskirt, which makes it easier to slide forward in the cockpit. At a push, say you'd used it for re-entry in conditions where you had to do the skirt up as soon as possible, you could just clip on the back two buckles, and I think it would be okay.

Pakpod was designed for the Puffin range, and with their shorter cockpits, it's probably easier.

I still think it's a good bit of kit. I did once try re-entry in the Wisper with a foam paddle float. If I accidentally rocked the boat away from the float while squirming back into the cockpit, the float lifted out of the water and I fell in on the far side. The Pakpod with a bit of weight in it (e.g. a litre bottle of water) won't lift up so easily. And since I want a deck bag anyway, not having a separate float is one less thing to carry.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:12 pm 
Not discussing the aspects of using it on Pakboats, - just some related comments or cautions from my and other people experience.

As an air-filled paddlefloat - there exist some (not usable as a deck bag), and they are not popular. The only 100% reliable float is a piece of foam. If air leaks out (through the puncture, seam or whatever), it doesn't work anymore.

As a deck bag. I've made a couple out of daypacks for my FC boats. Tried to find a suitable size and shape on the market, and couldn't, so had to make it.
Rolled-up closure isn't convenient for frequent use and restricted accessibility (one hand, or need to watch the balance, etc). OTH, zippers aren't reliable, according to reviews, sometimes stop working after a few years or more. On my first bag, which was already a few years old daypack before converted to deck bag, zipper failed after 3 seasons (acceptable with roughly $5 value of old daypack). Rolled-up closure lasts forever, but fabric wears out on edges and wrinkles and starts leaking (I can see that on my drybags). While on a drybag this will only result in items getting wet (if you get swamped), on a paddle float this may result in loss of functionality.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:58 pm 
faltbootemeister

Those are good points. Another reason I don't use the Pakpod as a paddle float is that it makes me nervous distconnecting it from the kayak. In the deck bag I usually carry personal things I use while paddling. It the float gets lost for some reason during re-entry, all its contents will be lost as well.
So far I have been usuing an inflatable paddle float. It takes longer to set up than a foam float, but it's not as intrusive when stored on deck behind the cockpit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:14 pm 
I don't know why a foam paddle float on the aft deck is "intrusive", but I myself don't admire those standard foam "bricks". Some people made their own foam paddle float conforming to the peaked shape http://kayakfit.tripod.com/Paddle%20Float.htm (Instructions are embedded somewhere in the middle of the text).

Losing a deckbag while using it as a paddle-float would be terrible, and this is why one should not keep any crucial items in deckbag. Mine carries rainjacket, fleece vest, flask and laminated maps - losing it all would cause a discomfort, but wouldn't force me to call for help, and most likely I wouldn't have to cancel a multiday trip - though probably would try and make it shorter or simplified the route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:39 pm 
faltbootemeister

[quote="Alm"]I don't know why a foam paddle float on the aft deck is "intrusive"

Let's see... maybe the choice of the word "intrusive" was not quite correct. I really meant an inflatable float does not occupy as much space on deck as a foam paddle float.
I have also stored the inflatable float, rolled up, right under the Pakpod. Quite handy, and almost totally non-intrusive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:14 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I don't object to a foam float taking up space on the back deck. My wish for something better (for my purposes) dates to a couple of trips earlier this year when I had to pack boat and everything else for a journey by bus and train. Any reduction in weight and/or volume is desireable if you're going to do that, hence my liking for the dual-purpose Pakpod.

For those interested in make-your-own foam floats, there's an interesting topic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2526
This Wisper user made his float to fit in the foot end of the seasock, as he found it more comfortable than the stock footrest. It also holds the seasock open, for those who don't like to feel it draping round their feet.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:30 pm 
Quote:
My wish for something better (for my purposes) dates to a couple of trips earlier this year when I had to pack boat and everything else for a journey by bus and train. Any reduction in weight and/or volume is desireable

For these exactly reasons (also, - for flying, when it serves a double purpose as a "personal item", in addition to much bigger carry-on bag) I made a deck bag out of a small backpack. Weighs 300g or less and folds very compact. I've treated it with some water repellent. Foam float takes some volume in the FC bag, but adds very little weight, so the total weight is still very low. Commercial deck bags, except for very small ones, are made of heavy materials, weigh 500g or more, and don't fold compact. Deck bag doesn't have to be waterproof - it only should have some water-repelling properties, because usual items in the bag can't be damaged by water.

Sometimes it is not desirable to save a little weight, adding more potential problems later with a double-use item. I had to use a paddle-float only once in the last 5 or 6 years, and when I was in the water, quickly recalled what I had already forgotten - when water is cold, self-rescue should be done quickly. Paddle-float should be released with one click of one buckle, because when you are swimming, everything is much more difficult to do, and the longer it takes, the more difficult and dangerous it becomes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:55 pm 
paddler

Hello friends,

I found the combination of deckbag and paddle float really ingenious, so I bought it immediately. I use it any day I am paddling. I paddle a feathercraft big kahuna and normally with the sea sock. So I have no accessible room for all the things I need when paddling, food, camera, ... Therefore I have the pakpod always in front of me and can open it easily.
But since I am used to question the function of all the gear I use and try to improve it, I modified the pakpod too. I found the stiff plastic plate within the pakpod which serves to keep enough volume for use as paddle float quite nasty, because it prevents the pakpod from being rolled or packed into the kayak backpack. On the other hand, I wanted to use it as a paddle float (and in fact have already used), and then it must have sufficent volume. Therefore I put a valve into the lower part of the pakpod. I took this valve from a porous pakboat sponson and glued it with aquaseal. Now I can inflate the pakpod, when I need it as a paddle float, but pack it as small as any other waterproof bag.

Artnat.