Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:22 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Any other Pakboat XT-15 owners have suggestions on protecting the bottom sponson from the sharp edges on the outside of the seat frame? We just got the boat a couple of weeks ago and on the third outing we set the kayak down on the launch ramp (not hard, mind you) and heard a "pop" and found the seat crossbar had popped a hole in the sponson. It was on a day outing and we didn't have the patch kit so we just deflated the same sponson on the other side and paddled the boat with a slightly flaccid and slower hull for the time being.

We love the kayak otherwise but this was very distressing to have happen on a new boat. We've had trouble with the seat popping off the chines, too, despite fastening all the straps snugly -- this seems to have contributed to the puncture. We are planning to use some pieces of plastic or neoprene now to shield the sponsons at these 4 points while we also perform the puncture repair but I thought I would pick the brains of other users for tips and/or materials that have worked for them.

Thanks in advance.

Kerry

Feathercraft Wisper
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15
Skin-on-frame 1935 Greenland hunting kayak replica
Dagger Magellan beater

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:36 am 
I assume that you have updated Paboat about the problem? Sounds like a design flaw they need to correct for coming model years. And then I'd guess that you'll get a new seat FOC, apart from the sponsoon repair. Some padding probably helps, but you really should not have to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 am 
I also recently acquired a new XT-15 and love it, but had the same problem. I talked to Pakboats; they are aware of the problem and are working on a new fastening clip for the seat to the chine tube. Meanwhile, they suggested tightening the 4 straps that tension the seat to the chine tubes. I thought I had done this properly, as tight as they go, but maybe TOO tight could also make them pop off? Meanwhile, perhaps Ty-wrapping (plastic ties for electrical wires) the seat to the chine tubes is the answer.

I know Kleppers and Nautiraids, and like any other equipment, they have "tricks" and you need to get to know them. Fittings popping open is not uncommon in stressed circumstances, and for that reason reinforcement is sometimes necessary. The XT-15 has a completely different construction and plenty of its own tricks that will take some time to learn to get just right. I'll need more time with mine to feel l have all that in hand.

But what a fine craft! Handles beautifully, both tracks and turns well, very comfortable, relatively light in weight and compact when packed up. Both narrow and forgivingly stable, an exceedingly rare combination. narrow enough to straddle and sit down in the cockpit, coaming just big enough for an over-60 6-footer to pull his feet in after sitting down. A fun boat. They have found a winning combination that I'm happy to learn to work with. In fact, for me, although it can be annoying from time to time, learning these tricks is part of the fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:05 pm 
Tubular frames are different from those in Kleppers where cross-member are locked to the long members (except for the deck-bar on some ribs), and seat base is essentially locked too. I am not familiar with Packboat, though popping out in different parts happened in all tubular frames that I had. The worst was the problem in Russian Triton L1, much less in FC Kahuna and almost none in FC K1. Tension of the frame is one reason, fewer cross-members with larger spacing between them is another one. (FC K1 has more ribs than Kahuna, and less tension because of longer and less curved hull, so popping out almost never happened).

All such incidents in Kahuna and K1 (and deck-bar in Klepper-ish Longhaul MK1) occurred either during assembling or when lifting/flipping/carrying the boat ashore, pretty much like in the above incident with Packboat, but it never caused any damage. Packboat obviously has a problem in this area and may be needs better fastening straps like those in Folbot Cooper (it had a lot of popping out before the factory added the straps). May be (just a guess, since I don't know this design) the seat base should be modified too, so that popped out part wouldn't damage the sponson.

Semi-permanent solutions like cable ties usually make assembling and dissembling longer, defying the very purpose of a folder, though I carry a few in my wilderness repair kit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Follow up on our sponson puncture problem: we finally dismantled the boat this Spring (my boyfriend had stored it suspended with rope sleeved with old hose tubing from a beam over the living room couch all winter!) and used the factory supplied kit to patch the small puncture hole. In the process, we realized we had goofed in our first set up in the way we suspended the seat. Just in case we make that error again, we also added a reinforcing patch on the same place on the opposite tube. Overall, still really pleased with the quality, design, ease of set-up and performance of this kayak. Don't get me wrong, I love my Feathercrafts, but the Pakboat is way easier to assemble and load with gear. And that seat is so comfortable I've nicknamed it "The Barcalounger." Super nice boat for the price.