Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pakboat Quest?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just opened my new issue of Canoe & Kayak ( the boat book issue ) and see on page 75 that Pakboat have the Quest 135 and 155. They look similar to the XT series kayaks, but different. I wonder if the XT's are now gone? So little information out of them and I really considered an XT-15, but now, who knows? I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any information. All I could find was a German site with bad English translation.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject: Re: Pakboat Quest?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:29 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Very interesting - is this what you found?
http://www.outdoorfeeling.com/cgi-bin/detail.pl?produktid=4090
http://www.outdoorfeeling.com/cgi-bin/detail.pl?produktid=4091
Hull shape looks more Swede form than xt models and they have extra folds at bow, stern and in front of/ behind the cockpit along the deck edges, perhaps for better waterproofing? Very light too, although no mention of how wide they are, and not available until April 2013 :-(

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:50 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yes, those are the ones. Prices here in the U.S. are $1515.00 for the 135 and $1595.00 for the 155. Near the same pricing to the XT models. They call them "Transitional" kayaks. As they say: " A long step from recreational kayaks, yet larger and more nimble than larger sea kayaks". I would guess they will be on the website soon.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:06 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I wrote to Pakboats for more info and Alv said that "the Quest frame is simpler than the XT one, and it is not as stiff. We think the Quest is a nice option for light to averge weight paddlers. Larger people will be better served by the XT-17"
The dimensions he gave for the 155 and 135 were

15 ft 6 in, 472 cm
24 in, 61 cm
13 in, 33 cm
32 lbs, 14.5 kg

13 ft 8 in, 416 cm
23 in, 58 cm
13 in, 33 cm
29 lbs, 13.2 kg

Looks like the XT 15 with its 23” beam sits comfortably between these two, albeit heavier and stiffer than either. I wonder if anyone has ever considered replacing the velcro on the xt15 with waterproof zips, as this seems to be the only question mark hanging over the xt 15 for seaworthiness.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:40 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Looks like the Quest models will be out before spring. This from the Pakboat site:

We are ready to start production of the Quest series of folding touring kayaks. The Quests are simple, very lightweight and inexpensive. They look great – and they are a joy to paddle! The Quests should be on the shelf about the end of February.

In a way, the Quest development started with a 21 ft XT double. Pakboats introduced the XT series a few years ago as lightweight touring kayaks with excellent hull stiffness. The XTs are all of that, and we did not know at first just how far the XT structure could be pushed. The original 15 ft XT-15 and 16 ft XT-16 double are both very nice kayaks. So is the XT-17. We made a 19 ft XT double to test, and it performed very well. And a 21 ft XT-21 double was used very successfully in an offshore race last summer. In fact, it won its class! We are not sure what we will do with the long XTs. Clearly, the XT frame structure lends itself well to making long and sleek doubles. It is equally clear that the XT frame structure is overkill in a short solo kayak – and that realization was the seed that grew into the new Quests.

The Quest 135 and 155 share the same main design elements. Inflatable tubes along the sides have 3 cells on each side to provide ample and reliable flotation - an important safety feature. Quests inherit the excellent seat from our XT kayaks (a kayak is only as comfortable as its seat). The deck seal is improved with "wrapovers" from the hull onto the deck, deck rigging has been added, and the simple frame structure makes assembly a breeze. Each Quest packs into a single compact bag – it is the ultimate travel kayak.

We are very excited about the new 13 ft 8 in (416 cm) Quest. It is long enough for effortless cruising yet fits into a size range where there is almost nothing else available in a folding design – certainly not with polyurethane materials for $1515 and a weight of only 29 pounds (13.2 kg). The Quest 135 is ideal for smaller paddlers, and it is delightful to paddle even for average sized adults.

The 15 ft 6 in (472 cm) Quest 155 offers more space for overnight gear. It is the ideal companion when you need more boat than the 135 can offer. The 155 is in its element when your travels cover many miles and hours of paddling.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 pm 

Jake wrote:
... "We are not sure what we will do with the long XTs. Clearly, the XT frame structure lends itself well to making long and sleek doubles. It is equally clear that the XT frame structure is overkill in a short solo kayak – and that realization was the seed that grew into the new Quests."

Hmm... I wonder if Pakboats will discontinue most of the XT models in favor of the new Quest model. This is only a speculative interpretation, as the highlighted sentence is a bit ambiguous. Alv doesn't seem that motivated to keep producing the XTs though.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:27 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I don't think there's any suggestion that they're going to stop producing the XT series , but back to the Quest....

Anyone off to Canoecopia this year? If so I'd really like to hear your initial impressions of the new Quest 135. In particular...
How rigid is it compared to the XT15, for example?
How waterproof does the deck look with the new side flaps?
How robust iis the coaming for spray skirt attachment?
How much flare is there in the sides at midpoint, or are they completely vertical
Is it 13' 6" or 13' 8" long (web lists both)?
What are the dimensions of the bag it folds into?
Is there any provision for thigh braces?
When is it available? :-)

Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can get answers to any of these questions!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 pm 

Simon, You have covered all of my questions about the Quest 135. I am interested in seeing how it compares with the K Light Classic and the Kurrent. I like most things about my K Light Plus well enough to consider replacing it with a new model just to have the improvements that have been made in the past 15 years (and my choice of deck color!). I'd also be happy to consider the Kurrent in an "expedition" weight model. There seems to have been some talk about this at Feathercraft but the folks there are tight-lipped to say the least. The Quest 135 might be a good fit, also. Easy assembly and sub-35 pound weight are very good things. The boat also looks very handsome, also a good thing. The beam, at 23 inches, is considerably less than either of the FC models and that might make some difference in paddling characteristics but I don't think there will be any unpleasant surprises. I'm sure that the Quest models have been tested very thoroughly by this time. According to what little info I've received from Alv, the Q 135 will be of simpler construction than the XTs and, perhaps, a bit less stiff which is OK with me because I actually like the slightly "flexy" feeling of my K Light. So far as durability of the hull is concerned, this is what I got from Alv:

"The first Quests will have materials that are much tougher than the new super light Feathercrafts, but they are not a match for Hypalon hulls.This is something we are working on.It would be hard to build a Hypalon kayak with triple cell flotation tubes and keep the weight under 30 pounds."

Jake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I agree that the Quest 135 sounds like a Goldilocks solution in many ways Jake - not too big, not too small, just right :-)

My Fujita, at 13 foot, 24 inches wide and 26 pounds is incredibly agile and seaworthy for
my 150 lbs but I'm looking for something just a big narrower and longer with the weight a bit further back and a more asymetrical hull for faster sprinting, more effortless tracking and less tendency to bury the nose in waves.

Actually the aspect of the new Quest I'm probably least worried about is hull durability. First of all polyeurathane is pretty tough - I have it on my Incept. Secondly i use Sikaflex 290i DC (black) with primer to fix abrasion damage on the hull of my Narak and as long as you prepare the surface carefully first with sandpaper and acetone it does an incredible job that's at least as robust as the original pvc skin if not more.

Any idea when the Quest will be in the shops?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 pm 
forum fan

I also emailed some questions to Pakboats, so thought I'd share the response:
Alv wrote:
Yes, there will be a rudder option. In fact, the bolts [that will] attach the rudder bracket are preinstalled on the stem, and the boat frame is prepared for foot pegs that accept the foot controls.

I will be at a show (Canoecopia) in Madison, WI this coming weekend and will share space with Dave and Patti from Kayaksailor. We will discuss [using the Kayaksailor on the Quest 135 vs. the XT-15] with them during the show.

Too bad I can't make it to Wisconsin this weekend!

Sold: Pakboats Quest 135, Firstlight 480C, Dagger Edisto, Ocean Kayak Sprinter
Selling: Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm 

From the photos I've seen the Quest 135 seems to have a definite swede-form hull which should prove an asset to tracking. Thanks for the Sikaflex info. Years ago, I used a Sikaflex product to extend the useful life of whatever decrepit wooden sail boat I happened to own at the time and, as I recall, it was pretty good stuff. Regarding availability, I called Pakboat and was told that the first shipment of Quest boats is due to sail from China "sometime this week". That's kind of a downside; I would feel better if the boats were made here in North America. Score one for Feathercraft (but one wonders how long they can continue to compete with similar products costing a bit more than half the price of Pakboat and Folbot).

The following is something from Pakboat regarding the Quest models:

I am preparing for the Canoecopia show in Madison, WI this coming weekend - and we have some news:

For the first time, Pakboats will be there as an independent exhibitor (in previous years we were at the show as a Rutabaga vendor). That means that we can offer a more generous show discount, and there will be no shipping charge to addresses in the lower 48 for boats ordered at the show.

The most exciting piece of news is our new Quest touring kayaks. The Quests look a lot more like other popular kayaks in that the bow has a longer "overhang", and the sterns are steeper. End caps are welded to the hull, and so are "wrapovers" that the deck rigging is attached to. These changes effectively prevent water from splashing against the Velcro deck seal, and the new deck rigging give the Quests a sharp new look. The Quests are made of anodized aluminum and polyurethane coated fabrics. You can see a picture of the 155 on the home page of www.pakboats.com.

Quest 155 is 15.5 ft long and replaces the XT-15 (more on that below). The 155 has many of the components from the XT-15, but it is improved in several ways. We still use the excellent XT seat, but installation in the Quest is a lot easier. The same is true for the optional foot pegs, and bolts for a rudder bracket are preinstalled.

Quest 135 is a 13.5 ft "transitional" model that replaces the Puffin Swift that we offered a few years ago. There is not a lot of similarity. The 135 is much nicer in every way, and it offers smaller paddlers a very enjoyable portable kayak.

Getting back to the change from XT-15 to Quest 155 - there is a little story: Designing the XT series, we decided to put in structural "I"-beams along the sides to make a stiff and lightweight frame. The XT-15 and XT-16 were the original members of the XT family. They were (and are) solid and well behaved kayaks. So is the longer XT-17. To find out how long we could make an XT, we made an 18 ft XT-18 and used it to paddle the Blackburn Challenge, a 20+ mile open water circumnavigation of Cape Ann. Next we made a XT-19, and it performs quite nicely. To take another stab a the Blackburn Challenge, we even built a 21 ft XT-21, and it came in first in its class! I am not sure what we'll do next, but our experience made it quite clear that the shorter XT models have more frame structure than they need. We went for a simpler structure with great ease of assembly - and we invite you to take a look at the Quest.

I hope that many of you will make the trip to Canoecopia this weekend, and i look forward to seeing you there.

Greetings,
Alv Elvestad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:26 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks Jake!
Shame the 155 is 24" wide. But then the seakayaker mag said the xt 15 was wider than pakboats say it is. Anyone measure theirs?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:24 pm 

siravingmon wrote:
I don't think there's any suggestion that they're going to stop producing the XT series...

A couple months ago, I emailed Alv for more info about the XTs. He indicated that they will probably eventually switch to the polyurethane hull, but not until 2014 at the earliest. I was tempted to get the XT-17 since it so reasonably priced, but I did some research on PVC, and man, that is some nasty stuff!

I agree - the Quest models appear to be a nice size for day paddles and weekend trips. I'm looking for a bit with a bit more capacity, and am hoping that eventually the XTs will be upgraded with the polyurethane and the better water-sealing, while maintaining the more rigid hull.

I'm guessing Alv will wait to see how well the Quests work out before making any major changes to the XTs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:46 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

And Jake quoted Alv as saying
Quote:
Quest 155 is 15.5 ft long and replaces the XT-15
. :(
So is anyone going to Canoecopia, or know any shops in the States that have advertised that they're selling the Quest 135?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The Pakboats demo day on May 18 in Enfield NH looks like a great opportunity to try out the new Quests for anyone in the area :http://pakboats.com/-) There's also a sneak video peak of some of the features here http://www.canoekayak.com/gear/pakboat-quest/

Last edited by siravingmon on Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.