Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:32 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I just went to the Pakboats site, and it now indicates that's it's under construction. Hopefully they're upgrading it, and there's no major problem (or worse, they're no longer in business :? ).

I really hope they're upgrading because, quite frankly, their web site always seemed totally inadequate; there's little detailed info about their boats.

http://www.pakboats.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I completely agree -- their marketing materials have always made me cringe. A real shame since I like their boats, own two and am often recommending them to people. A major drawback to their advertising and even site catalog is that so much of it displays the kayaks WITHOUT the decks, so people tend not to associate them with being a true kayak and fail to appreciate some of the models best features. So frustrating to not have a good information source to link to people who could be potential customers. My brother is a designer and marketing pro in upstate New York -- I always think of how he could do a great job revamping their promotional stuff.

It would be so much better if they would have multiple views of each model, with and without deck and perhaps an exploded diagram, animation or video of boat assembly. Some user testimonials and more photos would help too. They are such great boats for the price -- too bad they are presented in such an uninspiring manner.

Personally, it bugs the heck out of me to go to any website and be told it is "under construction". I say -- just work on it quietly behind the scences until it is ready, then post the danged thing. Seeing "under construction" or "coming soon" implies carelessness, procrastination and lack of consideration for the potential consumer. It's like posting your profile on the personal ads site but adding "still married - can't date yet."

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm 

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Personally, it bugs the heck out of me to go to any website and be told it is "under construction". I say -- just work on it quietly behind the scences until it is ready, then post the danged thing. Seeing "under construction" or "coming soon" implies carelessness, procrastination and lack of consideration for the potential consumer. It's like posting your profile on the personal ads site but adding "still married - can't date yet."

To be fair, I don't know if that possible unless they're changing the address. I'm not a web-designer, but I think it's sort of like trying to occupy a building while it's under-construction; not impossible, but difficult.

I hate to admit this, but I think one of the reasons (unconsciously) I might've bought a Folbot Cooper is because they have such a prominent marketing campaign. [So does Feathercraft, but they were way to expensive.] At the time -about 3 years ago- I was unware of Pakboats.

From what I've been able to ascertain, Pakboats are probably a bit better than Folbots, but since their web site is so modest, comparatively few people know about them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:06 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I have to confess I owe Alv (Pakboat owner) an apology if he saw my prior post. I visited the updated Pakboat website last night and was duly impressed with the new format and the graphics. I'd still like to see something with a detailed exploded diagram of the boat frames or an animation of the assembly, but I think the new site is much improved and certainly one from which one can get a better idea of what the boats are all about and how versatile they are.

Now if they can just come up with some more dynamic print ads.......

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:12 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'm sorry to see the XT-15 go but the new Quest models look great and I would love to try one out. If I did not already have a FC Wisper, the Quest 135 would be at the top of my list for personal folder right now.

Actually, as I continue to slink toward decrepitude, there may come a day when I sell off the Wisper and get a Pakboat to replace it. The PB's are SO much less of a pain to assemble. I may be getting too old to assume the "kayak pretzel yoga" positions necessary to align the longerons and position the cross ribs in Feathercrafts for much longer

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:33 pm 

Hmm... The site doesn't seem to be any different than it was a couple weeks ago. I guess the web-site was just down, or maybe they just made a few minor updates.

There's a good chance I'll get a Quest 155 eventually, but I'll until there's more experience/input from paddlers with real world experience. It looks like a great boat, but with something so new, you never know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:00 pm 

"The PB's are SO much less of a pain to assemble"

I'm not sure if that's true with the Q 135. I read through the assembly instructions and there were twelve separate steps in the process. Maybe it's easier to assemble the XT 15. Right now I'm thinking hard about the Feathercraft Kurrent. Assembly looks much easier than the Quest and 31 pounds is a nice thing. BTW, FC boats are on sale and that is a rare event.

Last edited by Jake on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:53 am 
faltbootemeister

Pakboat XT-17 as a double? The XT-16 offered greater than 400 Lbs capacity. The XT-17 must be a double for two youngsters :(