Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm 
Hello,

My first post here and I wasn't quite sure how to title it. I have a 12ft pakboat puffin with the bright yellow deck that velcros on. I would like to either replace, or cover this deck with a camo deck cover for use when fishing or duck hunting. I'm not sure how to go about this. My basic idea is to find the camo material and cut it to the exact size as the current deck, or maybe slightly larger, and then place velcro tabs on top of the existing deck with corresponding velcro on the underside of the camo material, and just hope for a good fit. If anyone has a better idea of how to accomplish this I would be happy to hear your advice.

Thank you,
Salish
Seattle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:31 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I think you have the right idea, with the velcro. I've sewed various covers for things before, including a canoe spray deck, so I have some suggestions.

I would suggest lightweight nylon or polyester uncoated packcloth. Waterproof coated fabric can be hard to sew and tends to gum up needles. I've purchased fairly soft digital desert camo breathable waterproof fabric on line that has been reasonably priced. Taslan nylon is nice, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABU-TIGER-STRIP ... 339466e3c0

Most of the fabrics come 60" wide -- I would buy 5 yards -- good to have some extra. Buy one of the cheap papery tyvek white paint dropcloths to use as pattern material. Lay it over the deck of the set-up boat and and use duct tape pieces to hold it smooth to the sides so you can trace the outline with a marker (don't use a sharpie or indelible marker because it might bleed through and stain the deck -- a hi-liter usually works without leaking through or just use a ball point pen). Don't worry about marking the cockpit. Now cut around the outlines adding about 3/4" around the edge for the seam. This is your pattern.

First measure and cut two 6" to 8" strips the full length of your fabric (which will be either 45" or 60" wide in most cases). These are for the overhanging edge of the deck cover. Then lay the pattern on the remaining width of fabric, pin it smooth and cut that out.

If you are using nylon fabric, use a candle or a small propane torch on low flame to gently melt the raw edges of the fabric to seal it from unraveling. This will not work with dacron or polyester. Be very careful -- you only have to get the fabric close to the flame, not directly in it or it will catch fire. you will see it start to melt and shrivel a bit. This is kind of tedious but will really make the item last longer.

Now pin the strips to the deck piece, one on each side folding back a couple inches of extra at each end before pinning, starting at the point of the bow end (actually, bow and stern are the same on this boat, I think, but I would mark the bow anyway to be sure) and then work your way in each direction, pinning the narrow strips as you go every few inches. it helps to use quilting pins, which are long and have ball ends -- a box of them is a few bucks at a fabric or craft store. You will have extra fabric on each side when you reach the stern point. Just cut most of it off, leaving about 2 inches of extra on each side which you fold back like at the start. Now machine stitch a 5/8" to 3/4" seam around the entire pinned edge. It helps to have a card table or other surface set up beside the sewing machine to support the large piece of fabric as you sew. Once this is done, turn it inside out and see how it fits over the boat. If the fit is good, then fold over the bottom raw edge of the strip about a half inch and either pin it or stitch it down.

Once that is done, fold each strip over about an inch and stitch again, near the narrow stitched hem, so you have about a 3/4" tunnel sleeve the length of the strip. Get at least 27' of 1/4" bungee cord elastic and thread it though the tunnel -- you can buy a bodkin, plastic or metal, at a craft/fabric store that you can use to fish it through. If you have a plumbers or electricians snake, those will also work to fish through the sleeve and then pull the elastic through. Once the elastic is in place, slip the cover over the kayak but inside out (with the seam showing) pull the elastic snug and tie the two ends together or slip a nylon plastic toggle lock over them and knot the ends. (I will have to continue in a second email )

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:44 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

(continued)

You should also flame melt the ends so the bungee sheath doesn;t fray.

Now flip the cover over and slip it back on. If you like the fit, now cut your opening for the cockpit, a little smaller than the actual size., about an inch all around. I would feel for the lip through the material and trace it first with marker, then cut. Take the oval you cut out and lay it on another piece of the fabric and cut another oval about 4" wider around that oval piece, then cut the center out around the original oval so you have a large ring-like facing. Remove the cover from the kayak, pin this facing around the cockpit opening you cut in the deck cover and stitch them together. Now turn it inside out so the facing tucks down under the coaming inside the boat. You could hem the outer edge of this lining ring with a line of stitching or just flame seal it. You can stitch or glue velcro tabs under the deck and to this lining ring to hold it underneath the cockpit coaming. And, as you already planned, add velcro to the deck to hold the cover in place, though I think the strip with the bungee will do a pretty good job of holding it below the velcro rim of the true deck.

Anyway, hope this longwinded instruction makes some sense. I've based it on having made spray decks and cockpit covers as well as familiarity with the Puffin. By the way, Pakboat is selling off a bunch of older model Puffin spray decks they still have in stock for $69 if you just wanted to buy another yellow one and paint it or sew or glue camo fabric directly to a second deck.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:48 pm 
recent arrival

Oh My Goodness,

I haven't been online for quite some time (a year?) and I was reading some of the older posts in the pakboat forum. To my absolute horror I just discovered that I didn't respond to KerryOnKayaks response to my post, and this is after she poured her guts out with super detailed instructions on how to recover the deck on my Puffin. I thought I had replied - I am so very sorry, Kerry. Please forgive me!

Cliff
Seattle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:06 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

No, problem. I post on forums a lot and usually don't even notice if there has been follow-up. But thanks for the thank you. Did you ever make the deck replacement you were planning?

Actually, since I posted my instructions to you I have modified a replacement deck for my Puffin. I had the same plain yellow deck that you had but did not like it -- it was stained and cruddy looking. So I ordered one of the newer red ones with the rubber carry handles and paddle holding velcro straps from Pakboat's clearance sale for $69. When it arrived it was 3" too short (they had mismatched it with my model). But I liked it so much I literally cut it in half and added a 3" splice to make it fit. Looks great now and makes the boat more functional.

I posted a description of the project on this forum .

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6321

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:45 pm 
forum fan

What are you doing with your old deck, assuming it is still in good shape?
Geoff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:04 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Geoff, sorry it took so long to get your message and get back to you! I haven't been on the site for a while and did not get a notice of your message.

You asked about my old Puffin 12 deck. I have no plans for it at all. In fact, if you want it, you can have it, just send me your address and I will box it up and mail it to you. I have been trying to clear out the "horde" of unused gear and kayak stuff in my basement. It's in good condition, just has some faint grey marks that make it look a little scruffy (i think it was dye transfer from the black cotton canvas duffel bag that the original owner had it stored in), but it's in completely functional condition.

I have several photos of the Puffin from last summer with that yellow deck on it, before I swapped out for the modified red one. Can't post them on here but if you send me a direct contact email I can send them to you.

Did you end up buying the Quest 135 the guy in Michigan was selling? I love mine, which I bought from Pakboat on sale as a demo -- though I was kind of chagrinned when I saw I could have bought that used one for almost $200 less, and with a rudder, if I had waited a few months. That boat in Michigan is a great deal -- congratulations if you bought it!

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:24 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Aha! I discovered I do have a photo on Flickr showing the yellow deck I have. Here is the link (also shows the red deck that I modified to replace it.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodl ... 639707309/

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15