Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:09 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Quest assembly can't possibly be more exasperating than most Feathercrafts. I sold my '96 K-1 Expedition largely due to the utterly horrid assembly process. My first and present FC's are similar to each other and just barely tolerable. I have had some unpleasant battles with the boats on hot days. And the danged chine longerons have a nasty habit of popping out of their crossrib slots during use. The simple facts that PB's have the deck going on post frame assembly and they have bungie retainers on the frame clips are huge assets.

Another advantage of the XT's is that they are great frames for sail assemblies. And my assessment is that if you had a major incident of frame or skin damage in the field, it would be far easier to jury-rig a repair in an XT than most other SOF folders I have dealt with.

Yeah, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I think it's unfortunate not many people seem to know about Pakboats. While they aren't as aesthetically beautiful as the more expensive manufacturers I think they work just as well for the vast majority of conditions.

Here's a link to the assembly instructions for the Quest 155 Alv sent me. It's my understanding assembly for the 135 is exactly the same. [Since it's an email link, I didn't know I could past it directly before I made all those separate posts for the Quest instructions. :oops: ]

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=b ... &safe=1&zw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:48 pm 
recent arrival

I did read a review somewhere that they found the seat to high unstable . yhe had to sit on the floor. pakboats response was they ere going to redesign the seat. maybe they had no luck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:00 pm 

I tend to be a little skeptical when people complain about "instability" in a kayak with which they are unfamiliar. So many popular rec style and even "light touring" kayaks are flat-bottomed barges with such predictable (and boring) primary stability that people who have never been in a kayak with a more seaworthy hull or hard chines tend to overreact to a perceived sense of "tippiness" when they first paddle them. My favorite kayaks feel "tender" when sitting or paddling in flat water, but I know to trust their solid secondary stability and actually prefer the ease of handling that the "instability" affords.

I say, if you want that kind of garbage scow "stability", buy a raft rather than a kayak.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:23 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

As the owner of a skinny 20.5" Nautiraid Narak and a Quest 135, among other kayaks, I'd agree that the stock seat is unnecessarily high, at least for my 150 lb and particularly considering how capable the Quest is in rough seas with a lower seat. However, Alv explained to me how easy it is to lower the stock seat by un-rivetting the seat crossbar stops and sliding them along a bit before re-rivetting them. I haven't got around to it yet as I'm comfortable enough sitting on a foam pad on the keel, the same solution I have on all my kayaks. The Quest, fitted with thigh straps, edges and rolls just fine with this set up, as well as being more stable.

Personally I think it's a huge shame sales didn't meet expectations. For small paddlers its dynamics are outstanding.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:38 pm 

In fairness to other Quest users (and to qualify my biases) I have long legs and a very short upper body so I admittedly have less problem with center of gravity issues than the average man would.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:56 pm 
forum fanatic

I am Alv Elvestad of Pakboats, and it may be helpful if I join this discussion to clarify some of the points which have been raised.

Let me start with the title "The Quest Seems to be Discontinued": it is true that we have decided to reduce the prices to sell out the remaining Quest stock. It is too soon to say what the replacements will be like, or when they will appear, but it is unlikely that it will be before 2017.

In the meantime, the Quests will continue to be our "light touring" kayaks, and they will be supported the same way we do with all our boats – we still supply parts for the canoes we made in 1995, as well as for every boat we have made since then. My personal take on the Quests is that they are great travel kayaks. They handle well, and they will happily travel as airline baggage. The bag will hold your PFD and a 4-piece paddle in addition to the Quest.

Shortly after the introduction of the Quests we found that there were concerns about hull stability, which turned out to be related to the height of the seats. Quest seats are slings, supported between cross tubes fore and aft. The production seats were made too tight, and it took a while before we realized that there was a problem. Once we did, we shortened the distance between the cross tubes by 1/4 inch. This dropped the seat surface by something over an inch, and the Quests became much more stable. Recent Quest buyers have not mentioned stability issues. If even more stability is desired, it will not be hard to drop the seat even further, using the same method. We would be happy to provide instructions upon request.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:38 pm 

siravingmon wrote:
As the owner of a skinny 20.5" Nautiraid Narak and a Quest 135, among other kayaks, I'd agree that the stock seat is unnecessarily high, at least for my 150 lb and particularly considering how capable the Quest is in rough seas with a lower seat. However, Alv explained to me how easy it is to lower the stock seat by un-rivetting the seat crossbar stops and sliding them along a bit before re-rivetting them. I haven't got around to it yet as I'm comfortable enough sitting on a foam pad on the keel, the same solution I have on all my kayaks. The Quest, fitted with thigh straps, edges and rolls just fine with this set up, as well as being more stable.

Personally I think it's a huge shame sales didn't meet expectations. For small paddlers its dynamics are outstanding.

Hmm... I wonder how easy this would be and how much difference this would make. And also, why didn't Alv do this in the first place! :x

The kayak industry, esp folders, is extremely competitive. Now that Trak has lowered their price, I'm think about getting a Seeker. I do like how easy it is to load/unload gear in the Quest, but the Seeker is easier to assemble and more durable. I still think the jacks are unnecessarily complex, but they're now apparently very reliable from what I've read. A used Seeker in good condition costs about $1500, and considering all the included accessories this is about the same price as a Quest, which includes no accessories. However, the Quest 155 is 16 pds lighter, and much easier to transport, which is something else to consider.

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
In fairness to other Quest users (and to qualify my biases) I have long legs and a very short upper body so I admittedly have less problem with center of gravity issues than the average man would.

I'm sort of the opposite. I'm 5'9", with average-length legs, and a long torso. Consequently, 'tippy' kayaks can be problematic for me.

Last edited by Apathizer on Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:48 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Light weight matters not just fior transportation; my friends and I are always impressed by how easily the Quest 135 accelerates to catch surf or swells - it's far better at this than my friends' high end fiberglass kayaks and in my experience on par with a P&H Delphin for catching small surf and better at catching ocean swells, aided by its short length, although the Delphin is way better at changing direction in surf due to its torsional stiffness

PS thanks for posting, Alv! :-)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:10 am 

Alv wrote:
Shortly after the introduction of the Quests we found that there were concerns about hull stability, which turned out to be related to the height of the seats. Quest seats are slings, supported between cross tubes fore and aft. The production seats were made too tight, and it took a while before we realized that there was a problem. Once we did, we shortened the distance between the cross tubes by 1/4 inch. This dropped the seat surface by something over an inch, and the Quests became much more stable. Recent Quest buyers have not mentioned stability issues. If even more stability is desired, it will not be hard to drop the seat even further, using the same method. We would be happy to provide instructions upon request.

Thank you very much for clarifying this Alv. :D

I must say the compactness and lightness of the Quest models is really appealing. I don't fly much, but since I don't have a car it's important that the packed boat is easy to manually transport, and conducive to public transit.

Since the issue with the seat height has been resolved, that makes them even more appealing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:59 am 

While it's obvious that a lower seat height lowers the center of gravity, I've found that raising the seat level a few inches higher than my heels makes for considerably more efficient, less fatiguing high-angle paddling. With its ample 25 inch beam, my Kurrent has enough initial stability to tolerate a higher CG, at least in flat water paddling. The Quest, having less beam, would likely not be as tolerant of raising the CG.

It's good to know that Pakboat has plans for continuing its kayak production. I wonder, though, how their next iteration will improve on the Quest or, for that matter, if it will.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:58 am 

Jake wrote:
It's good to know that Pakboat has plans for continuing its kayak production. I wonder, though, how their next iteration will improve on the Quest or, for that matter, if it will.

I don't want to speak for Alv, but I think he mentioned they might be some variation of a Puffin. Who knows, though. It's still probably just in initial conception.