Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:41 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Just a quick update. I just finished a two day camping trip on Vashon Island. On the last day I paddled from Lisabuela on the west-central side of the island to the north end ferry.

Unexpectedly, I encountered some extremely rough winds and steep waves during the last mile. I would guesstimate the winds were in the 12-15 mph range (with some gusts a bit higher), and the waves were in the 4-5 foot range (with a couple closer to 6-7 feet :shock: ). Again, I wasn't expecting this, and I wasn't really psychologically prepared for it, and had I known of the conditions before hand I would have made other plans.

Despite all the stress and difficulty I was having, my Quest performed exceptionally well. I was bombarded by wind and waves from all directions, but never capsized. Surprisingly, the Quest didn't seem to flex much, and also didn't take on all that much water either. Since I only had a splash deck and not a spray skirt much of the water entered via the cockpit area. Had I been wearing a full spray-skirt the amount of water would have been even less. In any event, the fairly small amount that did enter wasn't enough to effect performance.

While I hope never to have another similar experience, the way the Quest performed in such conditions is reassuring. The velcro seam continues to be surprisingly how effective. While it's not 100% watertight the amount of water that gets through -even in rough conditions- is so minimal it's not a concern at all. It's a wonderful boat!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:22 am 
paddler

Excellent posts. Thank you for the details. I've only had my Quest 155 once, out on Bellingham Bay for 2 hours. I concur with what you've written from my limited experience. It's great to see that the Quest 155 can handle the conditions we find ourselves in in the Puget Sound.

I had a Falbot Cooper in April. Took it out on a windy day in Chuckanut Bay. I thought the Quest 155 felt faster than the Cooper. But, hard to compare fairly. It was windier than yesterday on the April day. I felt the Cooper's frame flex caused some inertia loss (?).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:54 pm 

yew wrote:
I had a Falbot Cooper in April. Took it out on a windy day in Chuckanut Bay. I thought the Quest 155 felt faster than the Cooper. But, hard to compare fairly. It was windier than yesterday on the April day. I felt the Cooper's frame flex caused some inertia loss (?).

I just responded to your post in the introduction section, so this is a little redundant, but worth discussing.

Yeah, the Cooper frame flex was one of the downsides for me. It's not a problem in calm to moderate conditions, but in anything rougher than moderate turbulence it seemed flexy less responsive. In addition to being stiffer, the Quest also seems less leaky.

The only minor issue I've had so far with the Quest is two corroded snaps: One around the cockpit and one on the hip/thigh pads. When I ordered a cockpit cover they sent me some replacement snaps for a nominal price (I think it was about .60 cents each or something like that). I replaced them a few days ago (flaring tool), and while I haven't paddled the boat lately, the new snaps seem to work fine. The cockpit snaps actually seem somewhat unnecessary to me anyway, and while the hip pads enable better fit and control, they aren't critical either.

It's great to have you on the forum. You're input and discussion will be great appreciated. It's a bummer the weather has been so crappy lately, but it's winter in the PNW, so it's expected.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:43 pm 

Just a quick update with my Quest. Yesterday I went out for about an 8 mile paddling while fighting strong headwinds of about 12-20 kt and 1-3' waves. While I certainly had to work hard against the headwind, my Quest continues to perform very well. It tracks very straight paddling directly towards a headwind and also did well paddling diagonally.

I did take on a fairly significant amount of water, so checked the hull. The keel section at the end of the bow-base (the bottom, not the upswept end) was pretty badly worn, and there was a scratch that completely penetrated the entire fabric and was leaking. It was easy to repair, and since that section is especially prone to wear from landing and launching I added some additional material for extra protection.

Other than significant wear in the bow-keel area, the hull skin is in very good shape. Just some minor sporadic wear, but nothing major.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart