Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pakboat Saranac
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:32 pm 
forum fan

We have just purchased a Saranac for my husband and I. All was great, but then we added the deck. The deck doesn't fit well and the velcro seems to barely be holding on. Maybe it will stretch in time? There were no instructions, nor have we found anything online. I'm not sure if the deck is correctly installed or now. There is an aluminum piece that seems it should connect to something, but I can't see what it would attach to. More importantly, my husband's feet are up at my hips. He's not comfortable, nor does he feel very secure. I don't think there's room to move the seats enough to help. We really like the boat, but aren't sure what to do. Any suggestions?

We'll take it out on the front lawn tomorrow and see if we can figure out anything.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Pakboat Saranac
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I had a Puffin 2. The deck fit very solidly. Alv (Pakboats owner) is very good about warranty issues. To be honest, though, I found that I preferred using it without the deck, even in the ocean. Very easy to do recoveries that way-- while treading water I could just flip it upside down with one hand and lift an end to empty it.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject: Re: Pakboat Saranac
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:15 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Attachment:
redpuffin tiny copy 4.jpg
I agree, send a note to Pakboat. They have been very responsive to my questions about the two I have owned over the years. My vintage Puffin came with complete instructions and I am sure you can get that from them at least.

The decks do stretch a little but you might also want to send Alv some photos. I have run into problems with a replacement deck from them that did not fit my Puffin at all. I had sent them my serial number and they insisted the deck they sent was the right model. But I believe they change the frames and designs a little over the years and the decks don't always fit from earlier or later model years. Here are photos of what I had to do to make the new deck fit. The yellow one is the old deck and the red one shows the 3" wide splice that I had to sew into the new deck to make it fit. Alv offered to refund my money if I wanted to return it, but I liked the design so much with the molded handles and arrow graphic that I modified it myself. It fits snugly and perfectly now, but it was clearly 3" too short for my frame before the modification. I used heavy coated ripstop dacron that I bought on line and UV resistant thread for outdoor furniture. Also used black Sharpie marker pen to continue the arrow design across the splice. It was a little terrifying to cut the cover in half right across the deck but I am glad that I did it. Materials were about $15 and it took about 2 hours of pinning and sewing to get the extension and extra velcro patched on. Not saying you should do this, just underlining that I think they don't always match the deck with the right model of boat. The fact that the seats and openings don't seem to be aligning well suggests that might be the case with yours too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15