Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:03 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

You weigh about the same as me so you won't need ballast - it'll just slow you down :D Once you've tried sitting directly on the hull you'll see what I mean

Speaking of tracking, my Quest tracks better in sidewinds than any other kayak I've owned or tried, by which I mean it responds very well to slight edging to eliminate weathercocking, so I wouldn't worry about how high in the water it appears to sit.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:51 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I revisited your initial reports of using your 135 and back then you raved about using just the foam seat. But you've changed your mind about that over concerns about long term impacts of directly sitting on the frame and/or the skin? Just want to make sure I've got that right. I really do feel like I need to be sitting lower in it. The wobble was annoying and I felt like it was impairing my forward progress, having to correct as it flopped from chine to chine.

I guess I'm a little hesitant about drilling out the frame -- have to study your instructions and the boat carefully to make sure I understand what the method is. I'll pick up some stainless hose clips today (going to the supply house anyway as I am in the midst of building a bathroom).

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yes I changed my mind about the long term viability of sitting directly on the hull. The Narak hull was waaaaaaay thicker and heavier but when you think about it the Pakboats hull is really thin and since I've moved to Sri Lanka all my outings are solo.... Now I sit in that (great) seat, without the air pad and with my butt just touching the hull. Maybe I reversed the seat itself too, I cant remember...

You are NOT drilling a hole in the frame, by the way, just drilling out the rivets in the 2 longitudanal seat support rails. To drill out a rivet you don't even need to make the original hole bigger and you could always re-rivet it later. Sitting low will completely transform your experience and make it a joy to paddle :-)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:56 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for the details on that, Simon. Removing the rivets will be first on my agenda tomorrow morning.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I used a hand drill for this to take it nice and slow...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Also, make sure the bolt heads of the hose clips face inwards so they don't accidently tear the sponsons if they are burred, and use a ring spanner to adjust them rather than a screwdriver

I'd post a photo but I tried for half an hour then gave up :-(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:51 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I removed the seat and have been staring at it for half an hour. I'm wondering if you and I have completely different seat assemblies. My sling seat is framed completely by tubing, crossways and lengthwise. The width of the crossbars means the lowest the sling frame can go is very tightly wedged between the lowest chine bend of the crossribs, so there is no physical way that the sling seat could contact the keel bar or skin no matter how it was attached to the frame -- it would still be at least two inches above it. Other than dismantling the entire thing and shortening the crossbars I am not seeing how lowering the seat more than an inch can be accomplished.

This boat was a trade show demo so I am wondering if it was an early "beta" and they changed the seat design.

I've taken photos-- here is the link to them so you can assess if we are dealing with the same animal. The first photo is the seat assembly itself, the second is inside the frame where the seat would rest -- that's behind the seat and the inside measurement between the lower chine angles of the rib is actually a half inch narrower than the seat frame (though it can be jammed in). ( Ignore that the chine longerons are off center -- the boat is partially dismantled at this point). The other three photos show what happens when I force the frame as far as I can into the space between the ribs. As you can see it will only go just below the clips that are supposed to support the seat frame. I could use cable ties to secure the frame in place where I have it resting, but that only gains me an inch of lowering and still places my derriere at least 2 inches above the keel bar. Take a look and help me out here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodle ... 7040353610

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

Last edited by KerryOnKayaks on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:13 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Same seat. It's a hammock with the long protruding longitudanal seat rail tubes facing aft. You lower the fabric seat by bringing the front and rear cross bars closer together, in this case by moving the aft clip on the longitudanal seat rails forward

The original rivet hole is just covered by theright hand edge of the clip in this photo

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj516/siravingmon/Quest/89CC6BC5-5D13-4E42-8FB8-2CABE4A90C9F_zpsiwdlfqji.jpg
(Album made public now)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

One other thing. I moved the front cross tube so it sits inside the loop of seat just behind that same cross tube in your photo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:29 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

If this doesn't help I'll upload more photos this weekend when I assemble it again (it's all packed away at the moment)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:33 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks, I think I've got it now. Your explanation was very clear. I totally missed that it was the sling itself that was going to change position, not the frame.

Have to run out to vote first (Primary election day here in Pennsylvania) but I'll tackle the seat when I get home.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:26 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Looking at your photos, it appears to be pretty much the same seat I have. In one of the photos it appeared you had the seat frame under the bracket rather than inserted in the bracket. I just insert it in the bracket, and don't have any issues. I hope you figured it out.

If I may inquire, who'd you vote for? At this point I wonder when the Bernie camp will finally accept the reality that he won't be the nominee. Regardless of your thoughts about him, that's just reality. But I'm digressing...

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:49 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Please do not try discussing politics on this forum. That is "the apple of discord".

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Apathizer, I had installed the seat originally per the instructions but when I took the boat on its maiden voyage last Sunday it was clearly too high (as I feared -- my bottom is more than 3" above the top of the keel tube.) It kept wanting to flop onto one chine or another which made it very annoying to paddle. I'm accustomed to paddling a hard chine boat (both my Greenland replica and my Easky hardshell) so I know it isn't me, it's the boat. Siravingmon is trying to instruct me in how to lower the seat the way that he has in his Quest so my center of gravity is optimal in the boat. Apparently I have an early model Quest and the seat height was an issue they corrected in later versions. The shots you saw were of one attempt I made to position it lower.

As to voting, I cast my ballots with mixed results. Some of my selections won, others did not. That's democracy. I'm a registered Democrat and either of the front-runners would have been fine for me. I have to say I'm ashamed of the other party's members in my state, but not surprised. The GOP only has themselves to blame -- if you're going to invite every crazy in the neighborhood to your party just to boost headcount, don't be surprised when they burn the house down.

I've truly missed both Jon Stewart and Steve Colbert during this election cycle. Trevor Noah does an OK job on TDS but it just isn't the same. Larry Wilmore is uneven and just doesn't have the punch or interview skills of Colbert. He's usually just recycling the same topics as the prior show.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'll try to take step by step assembly photos this weekend

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next