Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PakBoat set up time
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:33 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Actually, I got the Wisper used for $2200. I rarely buy new or pay full price for kayaks

As to looking for long term comfort, I regularly do 6 to 8 hour day paddles and, now that I'm retired, plan to do multi-day overnight wilderness trips camping out of the kayak. Also want to be able to take one or two folders on trips overseas. So boats being comfortable for long durations and having trustworthy structure are important for that.

Yeah, sadly I'm still about 20 years from retirement. :cry: When I do finally retire (fingers-x'd) who knows how I'll feel. Since I'll have both a pension and IRAs, I'll probably be able to afford a top of the line yak. While $2200 is good deal for a Whisper, that still ain't cheap.

But for now I'm very satisfied with my Quest. For me it's comfy, and while it's not as durable as higher end yaks like Feathercraft or Trak, for the conditions I usually paddle in (mostly flat-water with occasional unexpected rough conditions) I doubt it will ever be seriously damaged. And as we've mentioned, it seems like just about any damage the Quest might incur can be easily fixed, at least temporarily. The hull and deck are easily repaired with the spare fabric and adhesive, and even if any of the metal components are seriously damaged, Gorilla Tape should work as a temp fix.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:57 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

One of the reasons why I bought my Quest was that it was at the time the second lightest (29 lbs) and narrowest (23") seaworthy kayak available for its length (13'9"), after the much more expensive NZ First light 420. Now that the original Feathercraft Kurrent is no longer made and unless you go to carbon fibre poles, you won't find a lighter seaworthy kayak over 13 feet (the Quest is 13‘ 9"). This makes it a joy both for carrying into and out of the water and for accelerating when catching waves but does mean the hull material won't be as thick or as durable as some of the heavier kayaks of a similar length
As Feathercraft say of their only slightly heavier Kurrent 2.0, "Care must be taken when approaching shore. The paddler needs to exit the kayak before landing to lift the kayak over sharp rocks, shells and barnacles. Smooth sand beach landings only."

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:10 am 

siravingmon wrote:
One of the reasons why I bought my Quest was that it was at the time the second lightest (29 lbs) and narrowest (23") seaworthy kayak available for its length (13'9"), after the much more expensive NZ First light 420. Now that the original Feathercraft Kurrent is no longer made and unless you go to carbon fibre poles, you won't find a lighter seaworthy kayak over 13 feet (the Quest is 13‘ 9"). This makes it a joy both for carrying into and out of the water and for accelerating when catching waves but does mean the hull material won't be as thick or as durable as some of the heavier kayaks of a similar length
As Feathercraft say of their only slightly heavier Kurrent 2.0, "Care must be taken when approaching shore. The paddler needs to exit the kayak before landing to lift the kayak over sharp rocks, shells and barnacles. Smooth sand beach landings only."

True, though for most paddlers the Quest should be plenty durable enough. No matter how durable, it's good practice to avoid contact with sharp objects like oyster shells, barnacles, and jagged rocks; they can potentially damage even the most durable kayaks - folding or hard shell.

The Quest certainly isn't intended for surfing or rough conditions, but will get you through should you encounter them. I know from experience with an unanticipated encounter with really rough 6'+ swell. :shock:

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:06 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Apathizer wrote:
The Quest certainly isn't intended for surfing or rough conditions, but will get you through should you encounter them. I know from experience with an unanticipated encounter with really rough 6'+ swell. :shock:
Provided you have a low seat, I think it's fine in rough conditions, although the highish sides do mean it gets knocked about a little bit more in a nasty power boat induced washing machine type chop than my F1, my Fujita or the old model AirFusion. Unlike the latter 2, however, you don't have to worry about the sprayskirt coming adrift

It actually surfs rather well given that it's not as torsionally stiff as a hard shell (meaning it's not so easy to change direction on a wave as a short hardshell). It has a buoyant bow that doesn't porpoise easily and being light and with a taut skin, catches waves very easily, much better than my F1. Perhaps due to the high sides, I find it a bit harder to side surf in a breaking wave than the F1 or the Narak I used to have (but I could just be getting rusty!), and when you finally do lose it and tumble, it's a PITA trying to get the sand out of the gunwale sleeves

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:43 am 

siravingmon wrote:
It actually surfs rather well given that it's not as torsionally stiff as a hard shell (meaning it's not so easy to change direction on a wave as a short hardshell). It has a buoyant bow that doesn't porpoise easily and being light and with a taut skin, catches waves very easily, much better than my F1. Perhaps due to the high sides, I find it a bit harder to side surf in a breaking wave than the F1 or the Narak I used to have (but I could just be getting rusty!), and when you finally do lose it and tumble, it's a PITA trying to get the sand out of the gunwale sleeves

You are far more adventurous than me :!: :D

As you've probably figured, I avoid highly tumultuous conditions if at all possible. That said, it's good to know my Quest can handle them to at least a limited degree, which, hopefully, will be about as much as I'll need.