Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Quest 150 kayak
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:12 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Alv wrote:
Your other comments are well taken. Unfortunately, our marketing shortcomings have a lot to do with the people here. We have always been small and focused on product, rather than selling. At least, we are making some progress with product...........

That confirms what Kerry and I have thought. I know there are only about 2-3 employees (I know it's no more than 4), and everyone of you is first and foremost a designer/engineer rather than a marketer. While that means you make great yaks that are also a great value, it also means marketing is secondary.

I'm glad to see you're making progress though. :)

Last edited by Apathizer on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:02 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

siravingmon wrote:
Please don't take my buried comment personally, Alv. I actually think you're doing an amazing job with the product. No one else is pushing the boundaries of rod and air tube folding construction, and coming up with such wonderfully pragmatic solutions!

I agree. In terms of moving folding boats forward, Alv, you are one of the very few.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:05 pm 
forum fan

Are there foot pegs supplied with the Quest 150 and are there other deck colors beside the light blue shown on the Pakboat we site?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:35 am 

vagabond wrote:
Are there foot pegs supplied with the Quest 150 and are there other deck colors beside the light blue shown on the Pakboat we site?

Since the boats don't seem to be in stock yet I can only speculate, but I'm pretty sure foot pegs will be available since they had them for the previous versions. As for the deck color I have no idea...

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:37 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Wow, just saw this thread and am very happy to hear that the Quest has risen like a phoenix! I continue to enjoy my 135 very much! But since the 135 and 155 were phased out I've been frustrated to not be able to explain to the folks who admire mine where they can obtain a similar craft for themselves. I used to keep print-outs of the Pakboat specs and company information in my car to give to people at launch sites who asked about the Quest and Puffin (I have an older one of those too) -- I can start doing that again!

Pakboats need to be particularly marketed to us older folks. I often invite people I encounter during launch and landing to lift my Pakboats. People around my age (66) and especially women, are amazed at how easy they are to heft and transport when set up. And when I describe how they can go along with you as checked airline baggage, well, that's an active retiree's dream!

Looking forward to checking out the new model at the PB site.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm 
forum fan

I am curious about the colors and the lead time. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:19 pm 

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Wow, just saw this thread and am very happy to hear that the Quest has risen like a phoenix! I continue to enjoy my 135 very much! But since the 135 and 155 were phased out I've been frustrated to not be able to explain to the folks who admire mine where they can obtain a similar craft for themselves. I used to keep print-outs of the Pakboat specs and company information in my car to give to people at launch sites who asked about the Quest and Puffin (I have an older one of those too) -- I can start doing that again!

It does seem like a nice yak. Its size should suit a variety of paddlers, about 130-180 pounds. It's supposedly easier to assemble and more durable than the previous Quests', and seems like a great value at about $1400.

I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems like the kayak market, and folders in particular, is shrinking. Younger persons seem less interested in kayaking. Most persons interested in kayaking probably have a personal vehicle and for most of them a hardshell makes more sense.

Hopefully it's only a temporary shift, but who knows. The younger generation seems less interested in outdoor activities than their ancestors.

Last edited by Apathizer on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:45 pm 
forum fanatic

Slowly, but surely, we are making some progress. The 150 is in production, and we should see boats here sometime in March. In the meantime, you may be interested in seeing the assembly video. It was posted on youtube this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVcgCLy ... e=youtu.be
If you are familiar with the previous Quests, you may notice that the structure of the frame has changed somewhat. The support rod for the air tubes is no longer there. Instead, the seat side rails have become longer (and stiffer) to add hull stiffness to the mid-section. The air tubes are tied in with non-elastic cord to locate the tubes firmly. You need to inflate the upper tubes first to avoid possible damage, but it does make assembly more convenient. The back band is now independent of the deck, so you can paddle the 150 without the deck. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:36 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Many thanks for this Alv,

Apart from the substition of the support rods by (elongated) seat rails and the move to 2 rather than 3 air tubes per side, I see you've also replaced the two longitudinal bow deck ridge support tubes with 2 straps in tension, another refinement that'll further simplify assembly and keep the weight down at the same time. Nice! :-)

You also appear to have added an extra set of rib rods at the stern (same as the bow ones), or was this also a feature of the Quest 155?

Is the deck material also different from on the 135/155? (It looks shinier in the video)

The only thing that looks slightly more complicated than on the 135/155 is the more robust-looking bow-and-stern cam-and-strap arrangement which I see now runs across the kayak

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:58 am 

siravingmon wrote:
Is the deck material also different from on the 135/155? (It looks shinier in the video)

I'm guessing Alv will address this, but I think at one time he said the production was delayed because they changed to a different manufacturing facility. According to the web site, the new hull material is more durable than the previous model, and I would guess the deck material might be as well.

From what I can glean from the video, the 150 does in fact seem very much like a simplified version of the previous models. It looks like a great yak, especially for such a reasonable price.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:33 pm 
forum fanatic

The deck fabric is the same 600 denier ripstop material we have used for several years, but we have laminated a thin TPU film on top. It is true that the handles have changed, and they are a little more complicated than before. The advantage for us is that the handles can simply be replaced if something goes wrong. The old handle was a part of the skin and very hard to repair.

It may seem like a silly thing, but it can be really annoying when a snap fails on a boat in Australia or a plastic part fails in Africa (both have happened). We try very hard to make parts both reliable and replaceable, and we still have surprises at times. But even Toyota has recalls .........

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Alv, I have one question on design components. I like most everything about my Pakboats (have a vintage Puffin and a Quest 135, also recently got custody of my ex-boyfriend's XT-15), but one thing that is inconvenient about the newer models is the sponson valves. Why is it that you don't use the long tubing type with the twist mouth inflation valves any more? That is so much more convenient.

After having had a sponson rupture some years ago by leaving it inflated on a hot day while transporting a kayak on the car roof, I now always open the valves on the sponsons when I am not in the water. With the Quest, this means I have to peel back the deck to reach the flush valves. It's also a bother to have to haul the pump around -- the flush valves are not really designed for mouth inflation. It's so much handier with the old Puffin (and my Feathercraft Wisper) that I can reach the sponson and seat inflation tubes easily from the cockpit and inflate or deflate by mouth.

If you think it is better to use the flush valves, is there a reason why they could not be moved closer to the cockpit (perhaps just behind the seat back) so that they can be reached, at least to release them, without having to strip back the deck?

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:07 am 

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Alv, I have one question on design components. I like most everything about my Pakboats (have a vintage Puffin and a Quest 135, also recently got custody of my ex-boyfriend's XT-15), but one thing that is inconvenient about the newer models is the sponson valves. Why is it that you don't use the long tubing type with the twist mouth inflation valves any more? That is so much more convenient.

Hopefully Alv will respond as well, but just thought I'd give you my 2-cents.

The Folbot Cooper I used to own had long-tube twist mouth inflation valves. While they were easier to inflate, I found they just didn't maintain air pressure very well. Conversely, while the 'flush' valves on my Quest aren't as easy to inflate, they seem to hold more pressure and maintain it better (no or minimal leakage as best I can tell). The only time I notice significant pressure drop seems due to temperature change when I start in the late morning or early afternoon when it's warm and finish in the evening when it was about 15 degrees cooler.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:28 pm 
forum fanatic

We still use the hoses and twist valves on our PakCanoes. I don't like them on the kayaks because the pressure should ideally be higher than you can achieve by mouth. It is true that we have had some inflatable tubes that have not taken the higher pressure as well as we'd like. That is something we have worked on, and I hope the new crop will be tougher. The canoes are different because the needed pressure is lower, and it is more convenient not to need a pump on a long trip.

I inflate the tubes as hard as I can easily do with the pump we ship with the boats. You can't overinflate the tubes that way - unless the temperature increases significantly during the day. Exposed to direct sun on a hot day may be too much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks, Alv. I had not considered that (the higher pressure that the flush valves allow).

I've been getting more used to using the flush valves, just requires developing a new routine in assembly and loading. I've found that it works better to wait until I have the kayak on the roof rack to peel back the deck to relieve the valves (to avoid overheating expansion rupture.) I haul the boat deck down, so if I open the deck end with it inverted, any accumulated water in the hull immediately drains out, then I can reach up and open the valves.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15