Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swift Backpack
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:24 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

As other people have noted, the duffle bag supplied with the Puffin Swift is compact, but not convenient to carry. It's awkward with the single shoulder strap and really too heavy to swing from one hand.

So I recently bought a backpack for my Swift, a 100-litre bag of a type sold for fishing kit. This has most of the space as one big compartment. Some hiking-type bags are divided into sections, which wouldn't work. It's more than big enough - a smaller size would probably have done. But a bit of extra space is always helpful when packing up a wet boat on the bank, never as neat and tidy as stowing a dry one at home.

My Swift, made before they lightened the sponsons, is around 14kg. In the bag (which itself is fairly heavy) with repair kit, sponson pump and mooring rope, I weighed the whole package at 18.5 kg. (I hand-carry a second bag with paddle, PFD, spare clothes etc. Some of that would fit in the backpack, but I prefer to split the load.) The backpack has a padded back and good straps, and I had no problems carrying it around 300 yards to my nearest put-in. With the duffle bag, I always had to use a luggage cart.

So I'm very happy with the backpack, and I'd recommend the idea to anyone who can't drive their Swift right up to the water.

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:54 am 
Quote:
So I recently bought a backpack for my Swift, a 100-litre bag of a type sold for fishing kit. This has most of the space as one big compartment. Some hiking-type bags are divided into sections, which wouldn't work. It's more than big enough - a smaller size would probably have done. But a bit of extra space is always helpful

Mary,
May I ask what is the make of the backpack?

I have a Sport (as you may remember) which is lighter than the Swift. I've had three sets of luggage wheels (one set broken/one set useless/one cumbersome). I've carried it over my shoulder and in many different ways, ignoring what I might have been doing to my back. One month ago I took my Alpacka (no weight: 4lbs) in one hand and carried my gear (which weights almost as much as a boat!) over one shoulder. After one minute on the lake I injured my upper back (not the unstable lower - the stable upper! And still not fully recovered one month later). Although I was playing too soon with no warm up and getting the packraft to jump in the air - it's possible - on a windy day with strong waves, I'm certain the injury was mainly caused by all the mistakes I've made in not carrying the boats properly.

A good backpack, sensibly carried, sounds a good idea.
Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:08 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Rods.

My backpack is marked "JRC Cocoon Rucksack 100". I bought it second-hand on Ebay, after doing various searches on backpack/rucksack, 90/100. It has padded adjustable shoulder straps, and a waistbelt which I haven't need to use yet, but would if I had to carry it any distance. There are various external pockets for smaller items like sponson pump, ropes etc. The main compartment has an optional divider, but I zip that open so I've got the maximum space for the folded skin.

A 90-litre backpack would probaby be big enough for your Sport. But yes, get a decent backpack, get the weight even on both shoulders - or mainly on the hips if you use the belt. Your body will thank you!

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:42 am 
Thanks for the reply, Mary.

I'll look into it.
Cheers,
Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Long Haul can make a custom pack for you, too. I had them make a backpack for an inflatable I used to own- compact and not very expensive at all. It's a simple Hypalon sack with shoulder straps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:26 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

If you want to really carry the thing, get a decent pack. I prefer Osprey, and my wife has a great Gregory. There are plenty of other good manufacturers, as well. 70-80 liters ought to work well.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:43 pm 
Just a little contribution on the topic of boats in backpacks: I own a big Lowe packsack from around 1980, which consists of one big sack - no compartments - big enough for my Puffin 2, paddle and PFD. Some additional items I put in an extra bag suspended from the shoulder straps on the front side. So far I have hiked only a couple of kilometers to get to remote access points. Wouldn't be a problem to walk further. The reverse action is less uplifting, squeezing the wet gear into the sack. But so what, it works, and it's still much better than carrying the built-up boat plus extra gear.
Greetings
Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:08 am 
Quote:
So far I have hiked only a couple of kilometers to get to remote access points. Wouldn't be a problem to walk further.

Wolf,

With a Puffin 2 and an extra bag that's very immpressive. Your Viking heritage shows. Wecome to the site.

Cheers,
Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:08 am 
Sorry, no real Viking heritage here, Rods. Born and raised in Germany, I lived in Canada for a long stretch before winding up in Sweden.
Maybe I should have mentioned that some elements of the total load have to be fastened outside the pack, e.g. some of the aluminum tubing, the padle rods, the PFD. But the pack features lots of straps, D-rings, nooks and crannies, in addition to some simple modifications I made myself (although for another purpose initially). The bag hanging from the shoulder strap cannot be very big if it is not to impede you while taking on terrain. But heavier items (e.g. water, tools etc.) can be put there, since it tends to balance the heavy load on your back nicely.
For longer trips you'd probably have to carry a bigger bag in your hands, but for shorter ones you can have your hands free, which feels much better.
One-compartment packsacks like this old Lowe would be considered awkward for most purposes these days. The frame, belt, strap and padding system is not the most advanced by today's standards, yet still quite okay, with many adjustment-features. I still have the original instruction-sheet, but there is no model designation or liter volume stated there.
Happy Trails!
Wolf

Post subject: Re: Swift Backpack
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:10 pm 
Paraglider Rucksacks are great for carrying all gear. Kayak, PFD, 4 piece paddle, water, shoes, kitchen sink etc.
Designed for heavy loads, also lightweight, very comfy, have great compression straps and can occasionally be picked up cheap on ebay.
I use mine for my paraglider when flying and for kayak when kayaking. Brilliant :mrgreen: