Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sling seat adjustment
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:29 pm 
paddler

Hello All,
I purchased a Saco two years ago. My intent was to access remote ponds and lakes for fishing. I previously used a 2006 Puffin II for the same purpose. The Saco sling seat is very comfortable. Wonderful boat for paddling and sightseeing. However, at my age and size (67, 6’2”, 240 lbs.) stability is a major concern. I was uncomfortable with the twists and turns necessary to fish from the sling seat as it was hung. I spoke with Alv about lowering the center of gravity. He suggested bringing the seat crossbars closer together but cautioned only a minor adjustment was necessary. I moved the rear crossbar 1/2 inch. Two days ago, I had a chance to test that adjustment. On the water, I slid my fingers between the seat and keel. My guesstimate was a 3/4 inch gap between seat and keel. I paddled for 20 minutes. The ride was pretty stable. I returned to shore and put the baseball diamond shaped blow up pad between the seat and keel with slight air pressure so as to contact the seat to keel. The ride was very comfortable and no stability concerns. I will have no issues fishing with this arrangement. Probable TMI but I believe this adjustment may provide food for thought. Thanks for listening.
Fishingron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Good information, Ron. I had to do a more complicated adjustment to lower the seat on a beta version Pakboat Quest that I bought a few years ago -- they had made it too high and I had the same stability issues. Just a little bit of lowering center of gravity does have a huge effect. I like your idea of putting an insert between the lowered sling and the frame and skin -- I have been a little worried about abrasion and may try that with a piece of closed cell yoga mat -- also have an inflatable pad like you used and will try that too.

It really is remarkable how the slightest fractional difference in your center of gravity can affect kayak stability. I have a rigid skin on frame Greenland replica kayak with no seat at all, just a lumbar positioned backbanc and I sit on a scrap of 1/2" thick Ensolite foam laying on the frame and skin in the cockpit. Last summer I was heading out paddling with some friends and was going to use that kayak. I happened to have a 3/4" thick closed cell seat pad (the kind people use on car seats or at stadiums) in my car and thought I would try putting that on top of the Ensolite for a little extra cushioning. This kayak is quite narrow (20") and hard chined but I have paddled it for years and feel very stable in it and am very used to the way it handles -- have NEVER capsized even in rough conditions.

But we had only paddled out about 100' from the beach when one of my companions behind me shouted something. As I turned my head and shoulders to see what was going on, to my shock I went right over into the drink! Just that extra 3/4" of elevation had made me top heavy enough to capsize on flat water with a slight shift in position! It was more embarrassing than dangerous as the water was warm and I was near enough to shore to swim in dragging the boat, which only weighs 31 pounds. It wasn't worth the effort to pump it out and climb back in out on the water. But the incident taught me to not add anything that raises my butt even 3/4 of an inch!

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm 
forum fanatic

There is no doubt that the solution works. But it also brings you a little lower relative to the gunwales, so paddling will be less comfortable. And personally I like to have my feet lower than my body. That position is also affected by the change. How tight to make the seat is a bit of a balancing act, and there is no right or wrong way. The change is easy, so feel free to experiment.

Instead of drilling multiple holes, you can move the seat temporarily and lock it into place with a hose clamp (that we'd be happy to supply).