Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Taimen 1
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:46 pm 
In the unlikely event anyone is interested here is an update on my Taimen developments.
I was first going to reduce my Taimen 3 to a sort of 1 1/2 seater but now I have made it into a genuine small 1 seater which is sooo much lighter to carry around.
It was simpler than I had expected. I assembled the bow and stern assemblies with the two-piece stringers and the front coaming to link them; using the front and rear cross frames only. I then linked the main assembly's longitudinal keels by cutting them a bit shorter (to the same length from the centremost pin sockets as the middle normal joining section) so they now can be pushed together in the same way as the frame did originally. This is done by cutting out an extra tube piece to lengthen the front keel (using an internal frame joint de-rivetted to allow it to be inserted into the extra piece and re-rivetted). The joint is one of the original fork joints and the male socket from the original de-rivetted and re-rivetted into the front end of the rear keel. It takes a bit of grunt to force the stringers together but it all works! The skin has the front section cutaway just behind the front seat and the rear cut away just ahead of the rear seat then they were trimmed to a small overlap; glued and taken to my friendly local upholster who ran two stiched seams along the join. I reinforced it with a strip of spare skin over the joint and I took the opportunity to glue some wear strips along the stringer lines and D ring patches for lines. It is short so the rudder is useful for tracking as much as steering.
There was so much spare skin that I used it to make a PBK type spraydeck which allows it to be sealed when it is ashore.
Despite other's comments across the web I found the material to be of excellent quality betraying the aviation works origins of the design. Even the jointing pins now work freely as I hand fettled them and the pins and tube joints are lubricated with a dry wax lubricant used for bicycle chains (comes as a lurid turquoise liquid.)
A fair amont of work but it cost €200 and another €20 for the sewing so I am well pleased. The only further lightening I could do would be a pvc skin but the original seems so tough it hardly is worth while. It now weighs about 18 kilos and travels a treat on a lightweight €20 second hand folding golf trolley which is secured to the rear deck. Currently it sails with the assistance of a large fishing umbrella which doubles as a shore shelter.
The current project is to see if I can get the umbrella to work as a small tent with some sort of extension. Mind you, the biggest way to reduce weight now would be to reduce my 100 kilos.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group