Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shucka Spam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:47 pm 
Yevgeniy wrote:
Werner, may I ask what the last part regarding the Shuka means?

If I remember correctly, I did a Google search on Shuka or Shucka, while researching a suitable boat for one of my brothers, and found links to old bulletin board postings the gist of which Werner outlined above. The same messages on different boards - didn't strike me as genuine posts.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:49 pm 
Hi everybody!

I'm back from my vacations. It would be a nice one, but I have broke my wrist on my ride with mountain bike yesterday, so I will be typing this with one hand. No paddling and biking for long time...

Maybe I was and still am overoptimistic but I must say that I still stick with my previous post. I am using Ladoga on fresh calm water (two nearby rivers and small lakes) and it is nice handling boat. In my view it is one of the nicest handling folding kayaks with open cockpit option. No falling apart incidents.
The only two things that should be more emphasised in my previous post are:
- Ladoga-1 is boat for lakes and calm rivers - for fresh waters. Some of the materials used in boat are not salt resistant.
- power hungry assembly of the boat. In my experience it takes two average persons for assembling Ladoga-1 otherwise you will probably bent some of the long tubes. Ladoga's simple "clutch" solution for connecting the stingers and chines makes assembling the boat very hard and is the main reason for bended long tubes as Alex already wrote.

Because of the assembly issue I would _not_ recommend Ladoga-1 for most paddlers.
Half a product... I would rather say a product with two strong limiting factors (and a third if it has high price tag - any above Packboats).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chrstjrn, my previous post was on my first impressions regarding Ladoga-1. I don't think that Alex condemned a nice boat (from his point of view at least).
Boat is nice but it has some real problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was not my intention to provoke you Alex. Your posts are very good, unbiased and helpful for any potential and current boat in a bag owners.

I purchased closest kayak that fits my needs - Ladoga1, BUT i was aware of boats "specialities" thanks to you and other Ladoga-1 owners.

Of course you are right, if you look at the Ladoga from serious ocean/traveling point of view that this is unfinished boat with improper materials used in some parts of the boat. No doubt about that!
I would say 50% to 70% finished product.

I am also glad that you detailed some of the boats "specialities" that you had experienced. Old and "new" Ladoga have common ground and lots of the old "specialities" are still present in current design.

Since I own current version (Jan 2005) I'll list some features that I believe are different from previous design that Alex had.

Differences/improvements:
+++ strong and durable new plastic parts, no plastic connectors in the bow and stern.
++ single keel tube, single keel stripe on the bottom of the hull, new handles, some anodised parts beside keel pipe, new seat and backrest (different from that on SK pictures - I believe that my Ladoga is newer than tested one), reduced weight (17.4Kg for striped down boat and 18.8Kg for boat with installed seat, backrest and spraydeck).
+ cockpit tubes with proper alignment are easy to connect - no force is needed
. I don't know if it is same old coaming design, but with my sprayskirt I don't have problem (no original nylon sprayskirt with Ladoga)
--- changed rudder - not good and I don't use it (boat has very strong tracking), no visible coper here, but plastic ends are there and a yoke-bar too (a joke ;-)) It will not last long in salty water.

Same (bad) design:
---------- "clutch" assembly of bow and stern parts (big problem)
--- spraydeck is connected with Velcro tape only, poor deck rigging - functioning but proper only for calm water.
--- not salt resistant parts: brass pins/buttons, one shiny part in bow, non anodised frame tubes and grommets on spraydeck (they are not from brass or brass looking coating but I wouldn't count on them in salty water)
- same plastic "hook" instead of the real clam-cleat. It is rudder related and I really wonder why they supply rudder with the boat for use in calm water conditions. At least there would be less minuses :-)
++-- in my opinion good and tough but not stretchy enough skin. After more than a month of usage it is still very tough to assemble boat. But I don't have alignment problems, including alignment with cockpit sleeves and location of ribs.

In my opinion it represents a good DIY platform - depending on your skills and on initial price.
I do not intend to comment/elaborate possible DIY work, it is not the right place - it should be in the DIY section, but we have only "Homemade Folding Kayaks" section. If 50% job is done by Triton then "Homemade" section is just right :-)
I'll post there in case somebody would be interested - any suggestions are welcome.
All I can say is that all from DIY list can be fixed, other vise I wouldn't bought Ladoga-1 in the first place. For 750 US$ to the FB Cooper's price in EU, I don't have to do all by myself.
Of course I would rather spare my time and pay high price for flawless Ladoga-1 version, but there is none.
-------
In my opinion (I don't own Swift nor Cooper) Packboat Swift is better alternative to Ladoga-1. It has similar price tag and is also intended for calm water - or that's where I would use it. Swift is lighter and goes together easier in less time, is salt resistant and its price is right (it is made in China but as a customer I don't care).

I don't see FB Cooper as a Ladoga-1 competition. Cooper is different type of kayak. It has some problems, but appears less problematic than Ladoga. Besides, I don't like a DIY type solutions made by some manufacturers (FB is not alone here - sadly).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yevgeniy,
Assembling Ladoga-1 is really very problematic and I do think that something should be done on this topic, especially when you consider boats price (not the one in Russia). Salt resistant components are also a must for most users. As I wrote, I would pay much more to get good flawless version Ladoga-1.
Can you tell me more about assembling procedure for longer and more open Triton's folding boats in comparison to Ladoga-1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy paddling,
Zoran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:07 am 
Don't worry about "provoking" me, Zoran... As most of particulars of my testimony were depicting the reality pretty much close, I would rather consider your reports what lawyers call "leading questions", - with my subsequent answers :-)

Post subject: Re: Triton Kayak
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:30 am 
Hello

It seams like Triton has come out with two other single seat craft , the Ileksa and the Varzuga, does anyone had some experiences with them?

bst rgds from France

Erkki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:30 pm 
forum fan

Since 2 years I own a Ladoga Advanced 1. My experience untill now with the kayak is excellent. Stable, great storage capacity, good tracking and fast enough. The only downside is the assembly time and how hard it can be. Someone else in the forum has the same model? I've uploaded photos and review of a 2 weeks expedition with the Ladoga in the blog http://unkayakenlamochila.blogspot.com.es/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:27 pm 
recent arrival

Having just returned from a two week 'expedition', i thought I would post my experiences of the triton advanced ladoga 2 (2013). We were in the med around croatia going between islands and camping etc the conditions were a mix of flat water, to 1 metre swell, and when we couldnt avoid it up to 12 knots wind. This is what we found.

Was hard work putting it together, but the effort was rewarded with rigidity. Occassionally the pieces popped out, but we realised that keeping the sponcerns inflated hard prevented this. that said i would back up with cable ties in future if I expected a battering.

It fitted lots of kit, and despite a heavy load it paddled well. The hatch at the front was useful to help cram it in, though not for access.

It paddled well on flat water, and was extremely fast. In swell it kept its course better than the piriton kayak my friends had, however it was perhaps a little less controlable. A heavy load doesnt help here. The rudder could perhaps be bigger. In big swell, with a long wave length (say 5 metres) it was fine but in choppy stuff, or confussed waves it was hard work.

the velcro connection of the upper deck, perhaps surprisingly let in minor amounts of water despite regular waves over the spray decks, it was fine for a few hours at a time...which is all i can manage anyway.

In terms of wear and tear the skin seemed strong, with only minor scuffing from tying it to a dock badly, though we were careful not to pull it accross sharp rocks. The breakage that occured was the stearing lines, which sheared. I had put it together wrong putting them under the frame, rather than in the straight line as (in hindsight) it is so obviously designed. The instructions were aweful! However, I still think that the ones provided are not strong enough, quite a lot of weight can come onto them, and I will replace these. If they break it real is hard work making corrections, as the waves pull it off course, because this kayak really wants to go straight. The other point I would make is that the aluminium tubes did have a lot of (superficial) corrosion. And the small press studs are on steel springs that corroded a bit. I fairness they give you replacements, but still. I was also given an anti corrosion treatment for the tubes, but stupidly didnt apply it...I will now.

Having only used it before in rivers and lakes, and reading reviews I had reservations. However overall, I have been really impressed. It feels really strong and gave confidence. It was super fast. The one big downside with this (and also other folboots I have used) is the hour and a half putting it together. This one however also took some strength (only slightly mitigated by technique). The reward was that it was more rigid than others I have used. I am pretty smitten.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

90 minutes is a long time- I can do a Klepper double in 20. In the Triton I tested what slowed me down was the friction of the skin and all the little fiddly bits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:19 pm 
recent arrival

mje wrote:
90 minutes is a long time- I can do a Klepper double in 20. In the Triton I tested what slowed me down was the friction of the skin and all the little fiddly bits.

Agreed. I see it as a multi day kayak, not for just one day. I could probably get it down to half my time, but never 20 mins. There are just too many bits, and it does require effort too, which slows you down.