It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New version of Atlatl.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:39 pm 
I received this via email from the company in China, and post it here for info:

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your mail and question.
We do not have a distributor in UK yet.

From 1st May 2005, we will change price, and will not install more distributor or dealer from now.
Atlatl's price will be US$699. U-Atlatl's price will be US$799. With UPS freight US$200 worldwide, the price still lower than before and much lower than other similar products.

U-Atlatl is Updated Atlatl.
Atlatl use a pulley tension system to extension the skin on frame. Some users think its not easy to assemble the boat in cold temperature, and the frame looks mass.
So, we design out a Screw tension system for the Atlatl, with this system, the frame can be extension inside the skin much easier than Pulley system. Almost every Atlatl user love the new deisgn. So, we changed/modified all of QingDao stock from Atlatl to U-Atlatl.

Wish our answer can make you satisfy.

Sincerely
Ning Wang
info@atlyak.com
Boatory Corp. (QingDao)
Phone: +86-532-2878333
Fax: +86-532-2968177

Boatory Corp. (USA)
Phone: +1-832-8605199
lzhao@boatory.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:41 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

That's interesting, sounds like they've taken a leaf out of Folbot's book, with a Cooper-style tensioning system. Price looks attractive too.

Nohoval

Post subject: Price is Nice
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:01 am 
However, since I have a Big Kahuna, the physical characteristics are not compelling. Now if it weighed only 20 lbs and was 14 ft (alas, physics comes into play here) then I might be more interested.

For a new purchaser though, this may be a good starting boat. To get my optimum boat, I think one would need all the parts to be carbon fibre and a breakthrough in skin design. Don't look for this anytime soon. The cost would be stratosphereic. Donald Trump or Bill Gates might buy one, but not us normal income people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:25 pm 
Yes, carbon composites aren't cheap.
No, not only Mr Trump can afford one. Low-income folks like Timo Noko can too :-)... http://koti.welho.com/tnoko/omatekema01/index.htm (as I recall, he has managed to get a box of carbon fiber rods in army surplus in Finland, after the collapse of the Soviet Union. One could probably get a good jet fighter cheap at some point, but later these "liquidation sales" came to more or less regulated order....
No descriptions on this webpage; his earlier 1995 boat has some details shown. Web-address has changed, btw.

Agreed with Nohoval Turets - Atlatl doesn't look a better boat than Kahuna.

Post subject: Cost
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:51 pm 
Well yes, I was exagerating. However if you made the cross ribs as well as the longerons out of CF, then the cost would go up. Even if you could find some 3/16 sheets of CF, you can't really cut that stuff out. It has to be molded.

It would be interesting to see how light you could get as an exercise.

Post subject: Re: Cost
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:38 pm 
mel wrote:
if you made the cross ribs as well as the longerons out of CF, then the cost would go up. Even if you could find some 3/16 sheets of CF, you can't really cut that stuff out. It has to be molded.

It would be interesting to see how light you could get as an exercise.

Yes, ribs would be difficult. Timo made them of fiberglass, though, - in earlier 1998 boat, shown on that website. Fiberglass parts are same difficult to make in garage conditions - very messy and time-consuming. How light? Hmm... Tom Yost here could tell probably more on the subject; skin would weigh 18-20 lbs for a 15ft 25-27"boat, if it is durable enough, and has keelstrips. I wouldn't expect such a boat to be lighter than 30 lbs with some lightweight sling seat. My Longhaul seat weighs 4.0-4.5 lbs - ouch :-)... Makes a good camping chair, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:49 pm 
Makes the 35 lbs Kahuna all the more remarkable. 14'9" and Seal Skin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:04 pm 
I am new to the forum, but in your discussion of light boats I thought I would bring up one that I found. I am trying to find a very light boat for traveling, and I came across this company: First Light Kayaks out of New Zealand. From the sounds of it, the boats are extremely light, ranging from 8-10 kg.

Jeff