Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fujita 500 tandem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:27 pm 
Dose anybody have any knowledge about these boats -- other than whats on the web site?

I was wondering how one would handle as a single. The web site says one has to sit in the rear seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:58 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Have you gone to the Japanese-language website and put it into a translater? There's a bit more there. Looks like an excellent boat to me-- good alternative to a FC Klondike.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject: Thanks,
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:32 pm 
but I can't seem to find the Add. for the Japanese site. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 am 

I'm sorry-- I was rushed to get to work when I made the last post.

Here's the Japanese page for the hybrid frames:
http://www.fujitacanoe.com/en/hi.htm

and here's the boat we're discussing:
http://www.fujitacanoe.com/en/pro/8.htm

And here's the relevant page in Japanese (try Babelfish or some similar translater, although I think this is entirely translated above):
http://www.fujitacanoe.com/pro/8.htm

This might be more helpful:
http://www.fujitacanoe.com/pro.htm

As I look at this, I'm seeing that the translations on their Japanese-based website (i.e. the manufacturer, not the US dealer) are getting much better-- this is very encouraging! Maybe their US dealer is helping out the parent company...).

Post subject: Much thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:49 pm 
You have been very helpful.

I also spoke with Mike at Fujita North America and received a wealth of information. Based on what he said and what reasearch I've done, I've decided to purchase a Fujita. (500 single)

The selling point for me was/is: the non coroding frame material (fiberglass/wood), and the fact that Fujita is now welding their seems -- instead of sewing. The boat is also $1,000.00 USD less than the Feathercraft K1.

I feel the Feathercraft K1 is a better boat, but since this is my first folder, I decided to go with the less expensive boat. I thought about getting the tandem because I like all that room in the cockpit, and I like all that storage room for gear. But I already have a wide STABLE boat and now need a boat that will cut through the wind.

Thanks to everybody on this great forum for all the info. I will check in after I get the boat and give a review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:27 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Frantz, do not be misled by the price. By the time you add rudder system, deck, sea sock, perhaps extra bottom strips, you will be ahead with Feathercraft K1 money wise. You will end up as well with the best folding kayak on the market.

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:10 pm 
Franz, I understand these hesitations - but Greg has got the point. Check again, (and ask users or factory), what is included, and what else you might need. Comparing Fujita 500 double with K1 single isn't fair - if you want a narrow double, Klondike would've been closer. But it costs more than K1. And (don't remember for sure) I think Klondike has more payload, than Fj500 (which is still not too much, - Klondike is a medium-short touring double). And Klondike can be paddled from midship position, but Fj500, as I understnad - can't. For a first try you might as well buy one of Folbots, - GII, fore example, - it is probably cheaper than Fj500 (check their website - they have sales all the time, - trying to lure new customers ;-) ), and try how it feels paddling from the rear seat. It is wider than Klondike or Fj500 - so it is not the same in handling, but you'll know how close or far this is to your goals.

PS: I have no connections with Folbot or Fujita - own one Feather and one LH currently. Whicheverver of them you choose, it will be fun, I'm sure.

Post subject: Fujita 500
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:24 pm 
Thanks.

I had already purchased the boat before your posts came through.
I got the 500 single.

I believe this boat to be the Toyota of folding kayaks. It did come in at $1,000.00 cheaper than the K1. Though I will have to upgrade to a better spay skirt.

But it wasn't the price that sold me -- it was the frame. It's wood and fiberglass and supposed to be quite stiff, light, and durable, and, engineered well. And not as corosive as aluminium. I was told aluminium frames can loosen up over time (I don't know if this is true or not), and that Fujita's hybrid frame remains stiff.

I still believe the K1 is a better boat. But I think the the 500 will be a good boat too.

I will post a review after I recieve the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:51 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Franz. Congrats on the boat! If you are looking for an aftermarket spray skirt, the NRS Monterey is a superb fit on my 480 and I believe the cockpit dimensions are the same on both boats. I have yet to find a neo skirt that has both an an adjustable bungee and enough return in the hem to lock onto the wide and flat coaming. If you discover one that works, I'd be entirely interested. It also looks like a new welded hull might be in my future, but not this week...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:39 pm 
Franz, - I believe that fiberglass-plywood frames are less stiff than aluminum/HDPE frames of Feathercrafts, but weight must be less than K1 and more than FC Kahuna. There was some discussion a while ago - difficult to compare really, as not many people had a chance to compare them side-to-side. PE500 single should have less payload than K1, and slightly less primary stability, due to 1" less in beam (website shows the same payload, but this is measured differently in different brands).
I think, PE500 falls in the middle between K1 and Kahuna, closer to K1 in price and payload. There was also something about hatches on Fujita single (Larry knows better) - to make them more waterproof. Feathercraft hatches don't need any improvements, and double kayaks don't have them usually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:56 pm 
forum fanatic

Alex, thanks for bringing up the hatch issue. Get the neo liners! They were standard when I bought my boat, this may or may not be the case currently. See Fujita assembly assembly pix, hatch detail.

Post subject: Hatches ...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:19 pm 
my boat also comes standered with the neo. hatch covers.

Larry, did you add keel strips to your hull? And is the NRS spray skirt nylon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:56 pm 
forum fanatic

Franz, the NRS Monterey Kilt is breathable WaveTex. My boat came with multiple keel strips as standard - no additional strips were offered at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:02 pm 

I have examined the frame, although I haven't paddled one-- it is a thing of beauty, stiff and light.