Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:40 pm 
Having never owned a folding kayak (or even paddled one), there was a learning period for me to go through. Being used to hard shells, it took a while to learn quirks and ways of this boat. And now I really appreciate the engineering and design and advantages of the Fujita.

The frame is logical and goes together simply and smoothly. However, there are a few steps that must be done exactly as the instructions say to insure this smooth assembly. I like the fiberglass rods for their light weight, strength, non corrosiveness.

The sea sock works really well. After a four day kayak camping trip I had not a drop of water inside the boat. I didn't use the skirt because it was flat water. The welded seams also help the boat stay dry inside. The hatch covers work well. Of course this trip was on flat lake water -- it may be different in crashing waves of the ocean.

The boat has decent glide, is stable, and turns easily. Again this is on flat water. But I suspect it is going to handle rough water and wind well. I would say the Fujita 500 looks and handles like a hard shell of similar dimensions: 16'x 24" (500cm x 60cm).

The PVC hull is reinforced in all the right places, and took only minor scratches (scuffs really) from the the sticks and rocks in the lake. And I'm able to lift the (empty) boat up and carry it, though I have good upper and lower body strength. The specs say it weighs 42lbs (20kl), however with the seasock, paddle, and floatation, it's probably 50lbs.

Overall, I feel it's a good boat. I have no other experience with folding kayaks, but I feel it's a good one.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:13 pm 
Franz wrote:
The boat has decent glide, is stable, and turns easily. Again this is on flat water. But I suspect it is going to handle rough water and wind well. I would say the Fujita 500 looks and handles like a hard shell of similar dimensions: 16'x 24" (500cm x 60cm).

With folders you'll see the difference in frame flex (something that you don't experience in hardshells). You will feel it flexing in waves. To many people, including me, this isn't a bad feeling - to a degree. Feathercraft Whisper is probably the closest analogue of Fujita 480 (yours F500 is 8" longer), but more rigid and more expensive. Don't know how much more expensive - link to Fujita dealer on this site doesn't work, - apparently the address has changed.