Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:47 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Maybe this discussion should move over to the "sailing" area.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:10 pm 
David wrote:
Andreas,

There is no actual forestay, the halyard hanks on to the head and a short strop at the bow hanks on to the tack of the sail, when the halyard is tensioned this acts like a forestay. I agree that casting off the halyard would cause the sail to end up overboard but if I attach an extra line to the head and lead this line to the cockpit I should be able to haul the sail in at the same time as I drop the halyard, with a few turns on the sail it could then be lashed to the deck.As long as the halyard is long enough to remain threaded through the mast head roller and remain in the cockpit so the sail can be rehoisted I cant see any problems apart from having an unstayed mast. What do you think?

(Your right Chris, but I think we're finished up.)
David: That's what I'd do. :)
-Andreas

In the interest of tidyness, further postings on this sailing thread can be found: Twissle Rig

Last edited by Kapitän von Klepper on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: arrival
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:21 am 
Picked up my Wayland Harpoon at Melbourne Airport yesterday (it actually arrived in the country about a week ago). Assembled the kayak late last night =) and can't wait for the weekend to come so I can have a paddle. I plan on writing a review in the near future (in addition to the one Menedem wrote). The kayak looks very nice once assembled, and all parts and deck/ hull seem to be well made.

To be continued....
/alex

Post subject: Re: arrival
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:14 pm 
Solar wrote:
Picked up my Wayland Harpoon at Melbourne Airport yesterday (it actually arrived in the country about a week ago). Assembled the kayak late last night =) and can't wait for the weekend to come so I can have a paddle. I plan on writing a review in the near future (in addition to the one Menedem wrote). The kayak looks very nice once assembled, and all parts and deck/ hull seem to be well made.

To be continued....
/alex

Hi, Solar,

Great to hear that you got your boat! Definitely keep us posted on your experience with it.

Dmitry.

Post subject: Air valves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:46 pm 
Menedem,
I read in your review that you had installed NRS Valves instead of the plugs supplied for the sponsoons.

I have had a look at the NRS website and plan to order some valves. WHich ones did you get? , do they fit well?
/alex

Post subject: Re: Air valves
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:01 pm 
Solar wrote:
Menedem,
I read in your review that you had installed NRS Valves instead of the plugs supplied for the sponsoons.

I have had a look at the NRS website and plan to order some valves. WHich ones did you get? , do they fit well?
/alex

#3875, Float Bag Valve:

If the inflation tubes have not changed, the valves will fit over them perfectly. That is, the tubes slide inside the white end valve opening, and fit rather snugly. The fit is good enough so that I did not have to glue the tubes in, just taped over the seam. So far, the assembly has been leak-free. Not glueing the valves in allows me to carry spares, in case one of the valves breaks down.

Post subject: My Wayland skin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:39 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

should be arriving in San Francisco tonight. Hopefully play with the boat next week.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:44 pm 
tsunamichuck wrote:
My Wayland skin should be arriving in San Francisco tonight. Hopefully play with the boat next week.

Have fun with this. BTW, per our earlier conversation, -you're right you can roll just about anything. We're taking a class on rolling life boats! :shock:

-Andreas

Post subject: Re: Air valves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:03 pm 
Solar,

You have not posted for a while. How's your experience with a new boat coming?

Post subject: pics
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:53 pm 
Menedem,
Sorry about not getting back on the forum for a while....I have just created a new album with some pics I took the other week.

http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery/album66

I have only had a few chances to take my new harpoon out since she arrived. Assembly time is down to 25 minutes (this is after 3 outings), the kayak feels fast and relatively easy to manouver (only tested without rudder). Quality seems to be high and my experience purchasing from Wayland was good apart from an issue that seemed to be related to the shipping company wayland uses (the kayak was initially sent to Sydney instead of Melbourne, Wayland reimbursed me for the additional cost of transferring it to Melbourne).
All in all I am very pleased with my purchase and would not hesitate to buy products from Wayland in the future.
There will be more reports and a review as soon as I get some more time in the water with my new kayak.
/alex