Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:17 am 
Clear Blue Hawaii´s reasoning being that the warranty counts from when the boats enter our (the dealer) stock – not from when the customer purchase the boat(!) from a dealership.

So, to those of our customers that are experiencing problems with products from Clear Blue Hawaii, we do not expect this manufacturer to honor their warranty.

What we have decided to offer, is a full refund with a return of any boat still within the warranty period – or a special discount with the purchase of any other boat – regardless of the age of the Clear Blue Hawaii product you´ve bought from us.

A claim has been filed with the EU Trade Commission, but this process is likely to take time and we´re not confident that any ruling will result in a positive change in respect to Clear Blue Hawaii´s refusal to stand behind their products and support of their dealer network and customers.

Best Regards,

Avventuri
Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:04 am 
Why buying this boat in the first place?... It's made of un-supported clear polymer film, as I recall. Putting a frame into something like this was a waste of manufacturing time and resources.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:31 am 
"Hindsight is 20/20"

Then again – Not all first time recreations padlers have the budget to match their desire for a collection of Feathercraft, Klepper or other hight quality boats.
Others may simply want to try if they enjoy padling, without spending the big bucks.

The boats in question is fine for recreations use, and if you read the post (again), please note that the problem in question is not the hull or the frame, but simply the air chamber.

That´s "why" and I hope that answer your question.

Morten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:15 pm 
With that length, width, open deck etc their foldable kayaks (both "framed" without sponsons and inflatables without frame) should be compared to inflatable kayaks or sit-on-top plastic kayaks, - not to Feathercraft or Klepper. The only exception is "framed" Napali - it does look like a sea kayak, and, to my best knowledge, it costs more than Feathercraft kayak of the same size. Here is their product line, for illustration purposes: http://www.clearbluehawaii.com/products/index.html. (Some models are non-foldable plastic boats, I'm not discussing them here).
Other than Napali, for most applications inflatable kayaks made of laminated fabric seem like a better option in the same price range as Clear Blue Hawaii (often - cheaper, because regular inflatables are so abundant on the market).

P.S:
As to the clear vinyl bottom (their main "card" in marketing this product), - users noted a few things. It gets scratched after a while, even by dragging over a sandy beach. Also, the view is partially blocked by your legs, drybags and kayak frame (where there is a frame). I agree, those windows could be fun for hanging around tropical reefs, - though snorkeling from some $300 inflatable or from the shore is better, in my opinion. Just don't see any other benefits, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:25 pm 
I clicked on the link provided in this thread and saw that the Napali has an unsupported urethane skin... meaning that it's the same skin material used by First Light of New Zealand. I don't know the long term durability of Uretane, but I can assure you that it's very tough, and way better than any vinyl you will ever find. Hockey pucks are made of this stuff.

My only regret is that I have been unable to buy urethane skin material in the small quantities that I use.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 am 
I vaguely recall complaints on permeability of the First Light unsupported skin (on this forum). That clear film on the Napali is a urethane-vinyl mix according to this report http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/04 ... e_hawa.php . Not to rekindle again debates on urethane VS vinyl hardness, but I wouldn't like to have either of two in unsupported version and at the thickness that is realistic for a kayak skin. Won't last long with heavy loads and cruel landings/launches, IMO.