Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kyling Kayak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 am 
forum fan

Can anyone give me information on my newest find, a 14 foot tandem kayak by a company called KYLING of Chester, England. I believe it was produced in the early '60s. It looks remarkably like a Klepper Aerius ll.

Post subject: Re: Kyling Kayak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 pm 
The shortest AEII at 17 ft or 520 cm is about 1 meter longer than this kayak that you found. Which makes it quite a different boat, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 pm 
forum fan

Sorry, inaccurate information. This Kyling foldable is 15, not 14 feet long. If you like, I will post photos. I managed to repair/fabricate the broken componants, and have it fully assembled. I would love to know more about the company, but cannot find any reference online. I tried to attach photo, but my file is too large. I would be happy to forward pix to anyone who sends me and email address.
Yes, it IS a differant boat from the AE ll, but it is similiar in cockpit opening design a shape of hull.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 pm 
forum fan

More information regarding the Kyling Kayak: Have recently acquired and restored a 15 ft. tandem kayak, manufactured, apparently from the patch on the hull and the medallion on the frontpiece of the coaming, by Kyling Limited of Bumpers Lane, Chester, England. I was told it was produced in the early '60s. The accompanying instruction leaflet names it " The Kyling New Standard Canoe" and is marked "assembly no. 192". Just below that is a number series, " 161/50/3".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:02 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The historic canoe and kayak association in the UK might be able to assist you. A group well worth joining. The Kyling kayaks may have been mentioned in their journal "paddles past" which i think is worth the membership fee. And i think they would be interested in info you can give them.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:12 pm 
recent arrival

I have today been looking at an old Kyling Kayak that I have inherited - I have 'unsiezed' all the corroded clips and overall it appears to be in remarkably good condition, some sections of the canvas hull look as if they will need to be reglued as thay are coming apart - do you have an tips on assembling ? I have absolutely no info ...
also any idea of what type of glue would be best to repair the skin ?
any info much appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 am 
forum fan

Hey Lee,
Sorry for the late reply. I've just spent the last four months at sea, with no opportunity for regular internet service.
The skin of my Khyling was in good shape,until a friend battered me starboard amidship and put a six inch rip on part of the deck which traveled to the hull seam. It didn't occur to me to use glue; I got a half yard of "Sunbrella", a strong fabric and some sailing thread and sewed a patch over it. It held well and prevented water from coming into the cockpit.
I don't know if you've already worked on it, but if you did glue it, you might consider patching over it to ensure against the glue letting you down.
I sailed my Khyling with an S4 sail rig from Klepper, and with Klepper Lee boards. The design of the rudder harness was unique to Khyling and I was obliged to design a rudder system adapted from Klepper parts. When completed she was a fast sailor; after a few seasons of sailing it up in New England (she held together in some rough seas), the frame parts began to delaminate, especially the bow and stern sections.
Unlike the Klepper frame, the Khyling frame is designed to "snap" into positioned when opened, very much like an umbrella. This puts instant and enormous stress on the plywood parts of the frame, and so wears down it's integrity with regular use. I would say be prepared to install the halves of the frame into the skin with great care; you can damage and/or misalign the skin on the frame.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:50 pm 
recent arrival

Rick,

Thanks very much for the reply - I only just found it - much to think about there - I will definitely bear in mind what you say - must be great fun sailing one of these ! LEE.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:00 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Sounds like an interesting design. Any chance of some photos for the curious among us?
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:31 am 
recent arrival

I will get some pics as and when I next work on the boat - not too sure of when that will be though ! LEE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 am 
forum fan

Until Lee gets his photos to us, here's a photo of my Khyling. You might notice the yellow patch by my elbow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.