Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder for a Saranac
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:20 pm 
Just having purchased a Saranac, we are now thinking about mounting a rudder (also for a future sailing project). Has anyone here already made a rudder for a saranac? I am especially interrested in non-destructive methods of attaching the rudder to the boat (no extra glued attachments, no holes in the skin etc). The bolt at the end of the boat could be a nice solution, but as you are all more experienced than I am, perhaps you can help.

Thanks

Maarten

Post subject: Re: Rudder for a Saranac
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:44 am 
paddler

Hallo Maarten,

maybe you can use the idea I had, when I used a Puffin some years ago. Since the space for photographs is limited you will not see very much on the photos below. I will split my answer into two in order to give the pictures.

Mu rudder used a velcro strip construction (picture 1), and it fits around the stern of the boat (picture 2). It is fixed to the velcro strip on the boat and carries the velcro strip for the cover. The rudder blade is made of 3 mm glassfiber laminate (2 mm would be sufficient).
Image Image

Rest of description follows.

Artnat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:55 am 
paddler

Hallo Maarten,

now the second part of the description:

The rudder is controlled by the feet on the puffin inflatible footrest, which is slightly modified in order to enable tilting(picture 3 and 4). I was very satisfied with the function of the rudder. And the whole thing was about 200 gr. Even without rudder action it was very useful, because it enhances the direction stability considerably. Without it the boats turns anywhere in an unpredictible way when you stop paddling for a moment, now it went straight on.

The most important point: The construction is nondestructive, you can apply the rudder and leave it away as you wish. If I had to make the thing once more today (which I don't, because in the meantime I switched to feathercraft), I would modify the form of the rudder blade but not the construction as such.

Artnat.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm 
Bisschen sp├Ąt, aber doch: Danke!! Schaut gut aus. Jetzt haben wir wieder was zum basteln!

For those who don't speak german: Thanks! Looks good.