Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:54 pm 
For a description of other, less common folding kayaks (Triton, Wayland, FirstLightKayaks, etc.) check out the website of this dealer: http://www.folding-kayaks.com/index.htm


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:55 pm 
Anne wrote:
For a description of other, less common folding kayaks (Triton, Wayland, FirstLightKayaks, etc.) check out the website of this dealer: http://www.folding-kayaks.com/index.htm


Whatever you do, don't by Triton Ladoga :-)... I thought that I was biased, but German forum paddlers who have it, are apparently of the same opinion. Could be considered a skin-on-frame boat, though; i.e. shouldn't be dissembled after assembled for the first time.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:34 pm
Posts: 1742
Location: Southeast Michigan
Anne wrote:
For a description of other, less common folding kayaks (Triton, Wayland, FirstLightKayaks, etc.) check out the website of this dealer: http://www.folding-kayaks.com/index.htm


All of those are linked to in the Makers section of the main foldingkayaks.org web page. If you're linking direct to this forum, try clicking on the logo at the top of the page.

mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Triton Ladoga 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:40 am 
Quote:
Whatever you do, don't by Triton Ladoga ... I thought that I was biased, but German forum paddlers who have it, are apparently of the same opinion. Could be considered a skin-on-frame boat, though; i.e. shouldn't be dissembled after assembled for the first time.

For anybody who can read German or wants to have fun reading Google translations, here are links to reviews of the Triton Ladoga 1 in the German forum:

http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?f ... eply_53769
http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?f ... eply_40084

Assembly seems difficult, but speed, manoeuverability and stability on the water are reported to be good.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:47 am 
Quote:
All of those are linked to in the Makers section of the main foldingkayaks.org web page. If you're linking direct to this forum, try clicking on the logo at the top of the page.

Mike, I didn't want to distract from the manufacturers links on the foldingkayaks.org site, just found it helpful to see kayak descriptions with comparable price quotes on one site.
Anne


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:34 pm
Posts: 1742
Location: Southeast Michigan
Anne wrote:
...
Mike, I didn't want to distract from the manufacturers links on the foldingkayaks.org site, just found it helpful to see kayak descriptions with comparable price quotes on one site.
Anne


I have no problem with that. I just wanted to remind people who look first at the forum that there's a lot of info over at the main site. My web stats tell me a lot of people come straight here without starting at the main site.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:24 pm 
I guess this doesn't belong to the thread but how about having some of the links from the main page at the top/bottom of the forum page (if possible), similar to when you open the forum from the main page.

Another suggestion for the main page: how about having a different page as homepage e.g., the What's new section with the calendar, or a site index that gives a more complete overview of the website. Just some ideas...


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:34 pm
Posts: 1742
Location: Southeast Michigan
Good suggestions. The first requires customizing the phpBB code, which makes it a bit harder to install updates and security fixes, so I haven't played too much witth that yet. The second idea I might try. Right now it's sort of set up for newcomers, and your idea makes more sense for regular visitors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Triton Ladoga 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:27 pm 
Anne wrote:
For anybody who can read German or wants to have fun reading Google translations, here are links to reviews of the Triton Ladoga 1 in the German forum:

http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?f ... eply_53769
http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?f ... eply_40084

Assembly seems difficult, but speed, manoeuverability and stability on the water are reported to be good.


I couldn't figure out how to link direct to Google translations from the Faltboot forum, so normally dial faltboot.de/forum/ in Yahoo search, and then click on "translate the page". These 2 reviews were quite favourable. Probably because spring has come, and people are enjoing paddling. The problem with Ladoga isn't only torturous assembling; it is also fragile plastic joints that may break in the assembling or dissembling (but not while on the water).
Besides, I judged this boat as a sea kayak (and this is what manufacturer claims), but it is not. Too high upswept bow (= windage), terribly inconvenient and unreliable rudder when correction is needed against this windage, and low-quality steel screws and nuts (not stainless). I've replaced them with stainless (a pain in North America, since metric hardware of that size is a rarity here), and made some other modifications (and used a Prijon spryskirt, since Ladoga skirt was terrible - but cockpit rim still had a weird profile, hard to put the skirt on), - but at some point this boat had just exhausted all my patience and I sold it. Newer model looks better on the photo - at least, they have added bow and stern grab-loops.
Yes, it is fast. 16 ft long 25" wide 55 lbs (25 kg) boat can not be slow.

Since we are in suggestions mode, - a question to Mike: this forum window is now stretched beyond the width of my screen (unless I open it in a new tab without a menu on the left). This didn't happen before.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Google translations
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:18 pm 
You can google-translate by copying and pasting the text into the translation box at: http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en You can also get to this page by clicking on Language Tools on the main Google page.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Google translations
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:09 am 
Anne wrote:
You can google-translate by copying and pasting the text into the translation box at: http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en You can also get to this page by clicking on Language Tools on the main Google page.


Yes; and there is a better option that copy-paste (how could I forget about it?) - copy-pasting the complete URL address into another window (removing http://).
Here is one excerpt:
"seawater fitness of aluminum am I not really convinced, the combination aluminum and feather/spring buttons from brass (od. similar alloy) with the fittings is at all enormously corrosion susceptible (ion river!!!) - I used feather/spring buttons from Nirosta with my boat meanwhile - and the plastic fittings are inclined to tearing and/or breaking (that should be already improved however as per importer with newer models)."

I have already forgot about this (memory is trying to protect the pscyhe, erasing unpleasant stuff). Yes, tiny push-buttons made of something like brass - they are terrible too. I broke 1 or 2, and replaced them - as a precaution for dealing with such a distant supplier, I've ordered triple amount of parts in repair kit. Fragile plastic fittings - I mentioned them already. May be something has been impoved since 2002 - at least importer says so.

And - somebody wrote at the faltbote forum - the seat is way too aft, so trim is out of balance, with bow pointing somewhere to the heaven (it is already upswept in this boat). Moving the seat fore? then what to do with a cockpit rim on the spraydeck? making your own velcro-attached spraydeck (this is how it is attached) with that rim? Oh, well... I bought it for less than $1000, and found to be not worth that much trouble. If something like Folbot Cooper for $1300 existed in 2002, I would have probably bought it instead, but it didn't exist. Folbot engineers apparently didn't know about this boat, creating Cooper in 2004 (because there were some very similar mistakes - not mentioned there - in the first few Coopers - but less than in Ladoga).


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group