Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

I suppose a better comparison would be with the $1500 Kiawah. I'd strill like to try an Oru, but given the materials I don't think it's a boat that will last 25+ years. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course. Does Oru include a repair kit? I wonder if it's possible to repair a hinge that failed from fatigue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:20 pm 
recent arrival

The fatigue life of the material appears to be quite good, at least according to the material's manufacturer. Since nothing else packs or unpacks this quickly (unless you count inflatables) I'll take my chance and see how it is doing in 10 years.

They include a basic repair kit that includes some spare parts, and sell a different repair kit that I haven't evaluated.

It isn't obvious from the photos and videos, but the material is not scored to make a hinge. The only scored material is in the seat, which is an independent and easily replaced unit.

I was skeptical before seeing it, but ordered one through REI (easy return policy) because if it worked it would be such a good solution for me. I'm much more impressed than I expected to be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:20 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I was all set to get a Pakboats Quest when I 'discovered' the Oru. I looked at one in REI and it seems like a great yak! Rigid, durable, light, and highly portable. Unfortunately, I want a yak big enough for multi-day trips, and the Oru is too small for that.

I know the company is reportedly working on a 16' model, which would be just about perfect for me. I emailed them a few weeks ago and they replied, saying it's still in development. Does anyone have any info about when/if it might be available?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 am 
faltbootemeister

take the quest.
for after work-trips the oru is a good solution, but for multidaytrips the quest or similar is the better solution (i take a T9).

i tested the oro longer then 1 week. nice to build it up quickly but in waveconditions i felt it as too "woolly" (me: 180 cm, 110 kg)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:32 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

dschin wrote:
take the quest.
for after work-trips the oru is a good solution, but for multidaytrips the quest or similar is the better solution (i take a T9).

i tested the oro longer then 1 week. nice to build it up quickly but in waveconditions i felt it as too "woolly" (me: 180 cm, 110 kg)

Yeah, that seems to make sense considering it's dimensions. A 12' yak just won't handle turbulence nearly as well as even a 14-15' boat would. That said, if they do eventually introduce a 15-16' model with a similarly quick and easy assembly that would probably be perfect for me.

The company has been around for a couple years now and supposedly their only boat has sold well, so hopefully they'll have other models available soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:08 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Apathizer wrote:
Yeah, that seems to make sense considering it's dimensions. A 12' yak just won't handle turbulence nearly as well as even a 14-15' boat would. That said, if they do eventually introduce a 15-16' model with a similarly quick and easy assembly that would probably be perfect for me.

I never tried surfing or river running on a yak. I do find that 10-13.5 kayaks are a lot easier to handle in breaking surf and white water than 16-18 ft kayaks. But I have only paddled a couple times. YMMV

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light