Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 am 
Hi All,
I'm new to this site and am hoping someone can help me. I purchased a used Amphibian MK3 Commando Kayak in Toronto, Canada back in 2000 and have been wondering what it was ever since until I found this site last nite! I don't have any experience with other folders, but I really like this one. Seems very stable, and heavy!

Would anyone have information on the accessories that came with this boat? I'd really like to know what the sail looked like and how it worked.
Thanks!
Jewels

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I believe this was a kayak developed and used by the Australian military. It was very similar to a Klepper, if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Correct. This was an ambitious project by a man named Peter Pool, who sought to design and produce a superior kayak for Australia's commando forces. He succeeded in that, but ended up having a very bad experience dealing with the Australian government. The upshot was after one round of purchases Pool's project was ended. The whole story is told in the Ralph Diaz' Folding Kayaker newsletter Vol 7, Nos. 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

For details of this kayak and a lot of info log onto http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au then click on club magazine on the left, then in the search box at the top enter amphibian mk3 commando kayak when this comes up a small amount of info comes up and it tells you to click on "more info" or the equivilant. A big article will come up about the kayak and it,s good. Incidentially i am in northern ontario have you considered a long trip north? Now having gone through Australian specs for the boat you must have a good craft and the reason for the hole in the rudder. Are the sails original ? i am sure all would like to see them deployed, it would appear that this is a good sailer much better than Klepper.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:11 pm 
Hi John,
Lol, the "sail" is a duffle bag split open with two strings tied to the bottom corners to "steer" it!! Tied at the top to a metal shower curtian rod! Not pretty, but it saved me some paddling on Lake Huron and my kids had fun running the ropes to keep the sail "full".

I'd really like to find a pic or specs on what kind of sail these came with. Also, the bar that controls the rudder looks homade. Do you know what the cloth pocket directly in front of the rudder is for? I don't have any accessories except two paddles. I should have taken better pics when I had it all set up.

Haven't gotten any father north than the Bruce Pennisula with this!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:54 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The bag in front of the rudder was for an anchor, the sail spec,s are, a main, jib, and genoa. As it is very much like a klepper they might have used the same type of sail which is a gaff rig with a jib, i think a genoa is a type of spinnaker, someone who knows more about sails will i hope correct me. The klepper goes over quite easily with sails so if you are able to pick up a klepper sail take care. If you should purchase a sail other than Klepper,s both "Kayaksailor " and "Pacific Action" are good but check on both sails, Pacific Action being really a down wind sail but good at sailing across the wind on a reach although i keep getting told it will go up wind with a narrow lee board so thats my next trial, i can,t comment on other sails as i have not used any. I find it is usually better to paddle up wind anyway. For the children if they are big enough probably canoe paddles are best, no hitting of blades in the air and with the klepper rig i think a single blade or a canoe paddle is better. The Bruce Penninsula is about a two day drive south for me. I am about 80km north of Pukaskwa National Park . This is my klepper with the jib furled. A better way to find the specs is if you look at the "lead" under Amphibian mk3 commando kayak by capnjack April 20th in Genaral Folding Questions, my way is how if found it, as i am not a computer person at all so i have to say the way i found the info.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 am 
recent arrival

Hi Jewels, The Amphibian was designed / made when Kleppers future was doubtful back in the 80's. Approx 120 - 130 boats were produced and went into military service. I owned one for 15+years and took it on several extended trips to Fiji, New Zealand, Whitsunday Islands ( Nth Qld ) in that time.
My partner and I had only ever used the jib though. Which of course was pefect for running with the wind, it handled better fully loaded. I believe the sail is very similar to the Klepper rig. I'll try and track more information down on specifics.

The Amphibian is a reliable work horse, yes and heavy. It's perfect for expedition work came standard with surf rudder ( the hole is a hand hold ).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:17 pm 
Hi! Thanks for the responses! I'm thinking I'll start with a Jib sail next year. Looks like it might be the easiest to learn!