Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:27 pm 
recent arrival

I've just encountered a new folding canoe out of Korea. It looks very much like an Oru knock-off, but in a canoe form. There's a bit of information here: http://www.mycanoe.co.kr/myshop/english.html

The specs look okay-ish. The weight:capacity ratio compares unfavourably to anything in the PakCanoe, but we should expect some trade-offs from the lower price. What worries me most is the absence of thwarts.

If this canoe performs comparably to the Oru, then it's a welcome budget-level alternative to the more expedition-oriented PakCanoe and Ally lineups. On the other hand, it could turn out to be the Foldlite all over again. Does anyone know more?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting. I didn't see a price there, so I'm curious what they'll sell it for here- if they plan to do so. I looked at the Oru patent (http://www.google.com/patents/US20110017121), and while I'm no patent attorney, it does look specific to kayaks.

Looking a bit further, I believe I found the patent application (not yet granted) for the Korean canoe:

https://www.google.com/patents/WO201508 ... M-Ch1-JAA_

which does cite the Oru patent (as well as an earlier, sectional kayak made of Coroplast that is thankfully off the market.) The Korean company's patents claims a number of differences from the Oru patents, but it's written in the Korean equivalent of Chinglesh and it's just about incomprehensible to me. So obviously the Koreans are aware of then Oru patent and are attempting a workaround.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:16 pm 
recent arrival

I dug a little further, and the manufacturers website did have an online store (just not in the English-language part of the site). With Google Translate's help, I saw that they were selling it for 990k South Korean Won: about 850USD, which is very appealing, if the boat performs more like an Oru than a Tote N' Boat. That price might be local-only, though. Given that they have included an English-language promotional page on their site, I'd suspect that they at least have their eyes on the American market.

By contrast, I found somebody called "himanworld" listing them on eBay for 1785USD each, which is quite the markup, and bringing it much closer to the PakCanoe/Ally price territory (though at least it includes shipping). And a German site called Gatz (which seems to primarily be a manufacturer of conventional hardshell canoes) is selling them for 1790EUR: about 1970USD, which is no longer very appealing at all, given how little more it would take to go up to the already-established PakCanoe 150 at half the weight, and with more weight capacity. (In fairness to the Korean canoe, no SOF boat can match the 10 minute set-up and 5 minute tear-down that they boast, but that's little compensation for poor performance on the water.)