Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddle Reccomendation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:08 pm 
recent arrival

I have a Klepper AII and am 6'2" tall. What are your favorite paddles. What does anyone recommend for me?

Werner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:03 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Favorite?
I just use the standard old 240cm Klepper paddles for my AE II. They work just fine!
For lighter, modern paddles, Werner Camano's, Corryvrecken etc seem to be popular. I would recommend sticking with a 240cm length, considering the generous beam.

Debate on paddles heats up noticeably :wink: for single kayaks. There we each have our favorites!

So, a question or two: Which paddle(s) do you currently use? What is your primary intended use for the AE II, as in relaxed protected water paddling, or long(er) open water excursions?

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I've used the AEII originals. I find the Camano's lighter than the originals. But my favorite for paddling the AEII solo is a slightly wide blade Greenland Paddle. I also use the Feathercraft Klatwa with the AEII and I like that as well.

I like the two GP paddles because the AEII is such a heavy boat I dig the Camano in too much and end up hurting my shoulders and tiring quicker. The GP is very forgiving and as near as I can tell just as efficient over the long haul. The downside to the GP is that it's a much wetter paddle and can bring a fair amount of water into the boat. On the other hand it's fantastically versatile.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:47 pm 
faltbootemeister

Dennis what length is your GP in inches? I almost bought one at Canoecopiabut decided to wait on the BSD rig in April. The size they recommended was 92 inches & it weighed 33 Oz. I don't know if that's long enough & I don't know how much shorter my stroke will be.

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:44 am 

210cm Windswift. Used it in an A2 and really liked it. Easy on the shoulders and enough of a bite for good cruising speed. I am in the minority for recommending shorter length paddles here but many racers use shorter paddles for more ergonomic strokes.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 pm 

Frank my larger one is a 230cm = 90.5 inches - My Feathercraft Klatwa is a 220cm = 86.6"

I would definitely try a 210 as Chuck recommends as well. That would be about 82.7"

I just love the versatility of these paddles but the best part is the low stress on your body.

There are a few websites around that tell you how to carve one of these yourself. I'm hoping to get around to that one of these days.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 pm 
forum fan

I second Tsunamichuck's endorsement of the Windswift paddle. I have a 220 cm that I used for years as my main paddle, and carry it now as my spare. As an act of vanity, I bought an Epic Relaxed Touring paddle, discounted at a paddling expo, 215 cm, and capable of lengthening to 225 cm. Its blades were a bit larger than those of my Windswift and I never really grew to love it as it was. So I traced the outline of my Windswift's blades onto the Epic and then cut the Epic's blades down to match the Windswift's. The result was, for me, the perfect paddle--a tad lighter than the Windswift but with the Windswift's ideal blade shape and size, and adjustable length as well.