Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving a lot of water
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:52 am 
For exersize purposes I'm looking for a paddle with a high degree of resistance. Which paddle would fit this bill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Big mistake. A lrger paddle will offer high resistance, but so will just pulling harder and faster- and that will give you the option of taking it easy.

The highest resistance paddles are whitewater paddles, which need to develop high torque- but they're rotten for cruising. Yet I see people using them- usually gripping the paddle right next to the blade for leverage.

A properly used narrow Greenland paddle will propel you as fast as anything, and develop as much resistance as a large WW paddle, yet let you shift gears to a lower effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:01 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The lendal nordkapp is a nice larger blade if you really want to go that way, but I agree with Mr Edelman - smaller blades the way to go. Big paddle = big stress, which makes injury more likely. A smaller blade with higher cadence will give you the same excercise and will be much easier on the joints.

You can crank up the effort on any paddle till you're flat out.

2003 - Feathercraft Kahuna
2004 - Klepper Alu-lite (guest boat)
2005 - Feathercraft Khatsalano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:58 pm 
I understand and sympathize with everything being said. However, I would like to have three different paddles to adjust for the type of effort I would like to have on a given day. On one end I would like to have a Greenland paddle (cheap enough, I'm a woodworker), on the other a super hard paddle, and another one somewhere in the middle.

It's like my hiking. I practice ultralight backpacking. My basic load with everything I need minus food and water is under 12 pounds (that includes backpack, tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, cooking, extra layers, etc, etc, etc). Still, for day hikes I put 35+ pounds on my backpack. If I were to try and drag that for a few days I would probably hurt something, but for six to eight miles it is a good exersize.

Same thing with paddling. I'm looking for a paddle that will offer a lot of resistance, speed being just a byproduct and not the main goal. I wouldn't use it for long paddles but every once in a while it would be nice to change the pace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Dev wrote: I'm looking for a paddle that will offer a lot of resistance,

If you want a workout, get a paddle that has adjustable lenght, and stick with the same blade face. Extend the paddle 10-20 cms and that will do it. Some manufactureres (Werner, for instance) will make a short section that fits between the halves. Then you can have either form of resistance on the same trip.

BTW, I had the same thought you did in my second season of paddling, and got a larger paddle (a 250). Worked fine until I got severe tendinitis in my wrists and elbows. I had to go from a 240 back down to a 220 to eliminate the joint abuse.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:44 pm 
If you want a workout, I suggest trying a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SURF-SWIM-Hand-Paddles-KAYAK-CANOE-BODYSURF-PADDLES_W0QQitemZ180068043552QQihZ008QQcategoryZ87091QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

They'll give your arms and shoulders a really good workout. I have a pair, and use them when i want a good night's sleep afterward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:33 am 
Nice. What part of your body do you end up exercising with those? I imagine that they would work nice as a backup system, but if push comes to shove, how far would you be willing to go with those?

Scratch willing. If push comes to shove, how far you think you could get with those :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:37 pm 
shoulders, back muscles, triceps, and oblique abs. Me, personally, I did about a mile sprint in a Folbot Kiawah to get back to my launch point; all the while the heavens were opening up to an absolute downpour of rain. Before that I was cruising around the lake with them for a couple hours. They'll take you as far as you want to go with them, and rather quickly, with the proper motivation.

Side note, I'm a 22 year-old compulsive exerciser. I just thought i'd include that because I don't know your situation.

For an extended trip though, I couldn't tell you how far I would go with them, because I've never been on anything but day trips. If you want to train your muscles though, that's how i'd use them. I use them as my backup and as something with which to play around.

The guy I bought mine from uses them exclusively for white water kayaking http://www.riveraholic.com/, so they're not exactly intended for cruising (though, with practice and exercise, you certainly can do it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:50 pm 
Quote:
I did about a mile sprint in a Folbot Kiawah to get back to my launch point;

tialloydragon,

That is very impressive. I've got a pair of the Riverholic hand paddles. I used them once last summer. I found them very difficult to keep on my hands but that may have been my technique. I've aways intended to try them again but it was a frustrating experience. I did find them very difficult. I didn't buy them for speed but for just playing around but I much prefer my regular paddle.

Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:55 pm 
One thing about protecting your body; The key to avoid injuries is incremental buildup and periodic rest. A very good general rule is that you do not increment your effort by more than 20%, else the likelihood of bad things happening to your joints and bones increases dramatically.

For instance, if your regular run is 4 miles (not me) and you would like to train for a marathon, you should not increment more than 20% at a time. The first week you should do no more than 4.8 miles. After keeping that up for a number of sessions, you can increase to 5.75 miles, so on so forth. Anybody that runs 4 miles should be able to push themselves to do 6 miles and more right off the bat, but that kind of sudden increase is murder on joints and ligaments that are not use to the stress.

Some people can carry 80-pound backpacks uphill for 8 miles. Heck, anybody could do it, as long as they build up to it slowly.

I suppose it is the same thing with kayaking. Now that I’m getting a few too many years under my belt the rule of 20% helps me avoid injuries that would stop me from having fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:07 am 
I got the perfect paddle for my evil purposes, in a rather unorthodox way. I had a chance to borrow a Greenland paddle and was very pleased with the feel and cadence. I'm making them my first paddling choice.

But I still wanted a workout paddle, so while making blanks, I made a wide Greenland paddle with a four-inch blade. What makes it perfect is that fact that by using sliding strokes I can vary the level of resistance I care to exert at any given time. By sliding and burying the full length of the blade on the water it drags with as much bite as anything else. As a bonus it also get to practice Greenland-style paddling :D

So, my first three paddles are a regular sized, 3.5" wide Greenland, a backup storm paddle, and a short and wide unshouldered exercise paddle; shorter because I use it with sliding strokes anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:53 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

There are always pushups and pullups...

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:39 am 
chrstjrn wrote:
There are always pushups and pullups...

Can't stand regular exercises, to darn boring. I have to take advantage of my natural gift of a short attention span. On the great outdoors I can always find something to distract me long enough to keep on going :wink: