Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sawyer???
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:15 am 
Hi. I'm new to the forum. We are picking up a 50s era Kepper T8 this weekend. It has an original paddle and a new paddle. I'm considering replacing both of them. Sawyer is within a bike ride of my house. I did a search on the forum and didn't find a single reference. Does anyone here use them? Any thoughts on best designs? Thanks!

M

Post subject: Re: Sawyer???
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:34 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Sawyer makes some beautiful paddles, but my advice would be to try several styles, hopefully you can find someone with Werner and Lendal, and others to find the combination of blade and shaft that works for you. It is amazing how different your experience will be with each of the myriad of styles, so I would be patient and try several before you buy. As you probably know by now, they are very expensive. As for the Klepper paddles, their best use is hung over the fireplace in a summer camp somewhere, imo.

BEst,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:03 am 
gbellware wrote:
Sawyer makes some beautiful paddles, but my advice would be to try several styles, hopefully you can find someone with Werner and Lendal, and others to find the combination of blade and shaft that works for you. It is amazing how different your experience will be with each of the myriad of styles, so I would be patient and try several before you buy. As you probably know by now, they are very expensive. As for the Klepper paddles, their best use is hung over the fireplace in a summer camp somewhere, imo.

BEst,
g

Absolutely right, in each and every point!
Begin with the paddles you get with the boat and see if you can try out some paddles frome someone else or even from a store. It takes about a quarter of an hour of testing. Your wife will surely like another paddle than you. I made the mistake to buy a paddle without trying, I thought it was ok as a standby paddle. Than I made a tour and thought it was smart to take that paddle with me because it "folds" in three short pieces. Then on the water I began to hate it. It was just 10 cm longer and the diameter of the shank was just a litlle bit smaller than my usual paddle - I had blisters at once and muscle ache in the evening because the leverage was different so other muscels had to work, too. I felt no advantage in the lower weight of that paddle, the disadvantages were stronger.
So try some paddles and buy what feels best.
Your new T8 is a classic boat, but the paddle is an essential tool for this sport, it has to be perfect to your hand and body for best results: easy and effective paddling. That causes a maximum of enjoyment and fun. The only acknowledgment to your boat should be an adequate color if available. Maybe you are lucky and find something in wood.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 am 
The area I live in is relatively small (Southern Oregon), so there aren't a lot of options to try, but I'll ask around. I'm new to paddling, so it's going to be hard to know what I like and don't like until I have a better baseline. Sawyer is literally around the corner and I'm sure they will be helpful. They may be able to lend us a few styles too. Best of all, they have a "scratch and dent" inventory, most of which are two piece paddles. They make their way in there when the grains don't match perfectly, but they're all in 100% functional condition. I'll head over there in a week or two and take a look. Thanks for the advice!

M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:05 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

See if you can put your hands on this one http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/to ... /kalliste/.

After paddling for several years with basic paddles, I decided to do some exploration through local shop that rents paddles by the day. Kalliste was by far the best one and in fact, I cannot imagine a better piece of equipment ever built.

After all, a paddle is your transmission and as such it should be chosen with some thoughtfulness and perspective. Do not select one based on convenience only.

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:40 pm 
Wow! That is a cool paddle. I'm affraid though of spending that much without a better understanding of the sport. I think I'm going to pick up a pair of SeaFeather blems and get some time on the water. Then I'll have a better baseline to assess differences. Thanks!

M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:51 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Kalliste ...... I cannot imagine a better piece of equipment ever built.

That's a pretty definitive statement. $450.00 for a paddle is nothing short of criminal... unless you are competing in the Olympics.

If you paddle a feathercraft or something of similar width, spend $25.00 for a clear cedar 2 X 4 and a few hours of your time to make a properly sized lightweight Greenland or Aleut paddle... or 2 or 3.

Paddle with them exclusively for a few months to really get the hang of it, and then do a paddle session comparison to the Kalliste. I did this same test 15+ years ago vs my lightweight laminated Lendal's, a CF wing, and a couple of homebuilt Euro's.
I've never used anything other than the GP or AP from that day forward.

http://yostwerks.com/GP16.html - Making a take-apart GP

Quote:
After all, a paddle is your transmission and as such it should be chosen with some thoughtfulness and perspective. Do not select one based on convenience only.

On this we agree.... On wide folders, a GP May not be the best choice. I made a few Euro's ( Lendal clones) years ago using GF shafts, spruce back plates, and 1/8" aircraft grade blades. They were plenty good enough for marathon racing... even at the Nationals.

The first pic is of my son Steve and I making a paddle in 1977.... back in the days when I still had hair and he didn't.
The second pic is of my bother and I at a 1976 USCA race . I'm the Geek on the right. He was bigger, but I was faster :)

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:04 am 

Yostwerks wrote:
If you paddle a feathercraft or something of similar width, spend $25.00 for a clear cedar 2 X 4 and a few hours of your time to make a properly sized lightweight Greenland or Aleut paddle... or 2 or 3.

Paddle with them exclusively for a few months to really get the hang of it, and then do a paddle session comparison to the Kalliste.

Tom, I've done exactly that.

Using them was a pleasure on quiet lakes of Arizona. Then, back in the Pacific Nortwest, I discovered that more paddle blade support is needed, especially in some waves and swell, so common here. So, I rented a few different blades and ended up with Kalliste.

I agree that that paddle is rather expensive, but it works for me very well.

By the way, it took me 36 hours in a very well equipped shop to carve a pair of greenland paddles. Recently sold both for $235.

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:35 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Then, back in the Pacific Nortwest, I discovered that more paddle blade support is needed, especially in some waves and swell, so common here. So, I rented a few different blades and ended up with Kalliste.

Different strokes for different folks.

If GP's / AP's were good enough for the Inuit and Aleut , then they are certainly good enough for me. After many years of using spoon blades (euro paddles), It took me at least a year to fully appreciate the potential of the GP. I think most people simply don't want to take the time .

Quote:
By the way, it took me 36 hours in a very well equipped shop to carve a pair of greenland paddles. Recently sold both for $235.

I use a bandsaw to remove about 95% of the wood, and do cedar shaping / sanding with a palm sander. Little or no carving / planing is required, depending on the wood. I rub on a couple coats of Watco oil, and go paddling after about 4 hours in the shop. Take-apart paddles require a couple more hours.

I never sell them as I much prefer the satisfaction of giving them away.... Priceless :)

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:09 pm 

Yostwerks wrote:
I never sell them as I much prefer the satisfaction of giving them away.... Priceless :)

Hhhhmmmmm.... need my address? 8)

(Just kidding - got lots of projects in the works - now if I could just buy some TIME.)

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

Post subject: Re: 1970s VW Rabbit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:27 pm 
Yo, Tom,

Nice yellow VW Rabbit. The round-headlight years were the best. I drove cross country through blizzards and storms in a '79 diesel Rabbit. When it ran well, it was more fun to drive than any car I've owned. Planets, stars, parts, etc., all had to perfectly align.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:39 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Nice yellow VW Rabbit.

Chris,

It was my brother's, and yes, it was a fun car to drive. The red car in the same pic was my old SAAB 99. I think the Rabbit was more reliable.

My current BMW 335xi qualifies as the best handling, fastest, and most fun car I've ever owned. It gives the bikes a run for their money. :)

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:48 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Hhhhmmmmm.... need my address?

Hi Gerry,

If you ever build that Sonnet, I'll send you a GP to celebrate the event.

When I sold my Kahuna and K-Light last year, I included a GP with each boat.

Regards,

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:19 pm 
I used to have an ST 1100 like that. Great bike. I replaced it with an Aprilia Futura, quite possibly the most under rated ST ever produced. Great bike. Alas, no time to ride (let alone carve a GP <g>), so it's now gone too. Only the KLR 250 remains and it's soon to be on the block too. Buying an electric car. From fast and fun to slow, cheap and environmentally friendly. Times change.

M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:50 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Sawyers are nice paddles. Twigs are ok too and so are Werner's but I prefer the Windswift by Eddyline. Can get it as 1,2 or 4 piece. Plus it has some awesome fabric for the blades. As far as the Klepper paddles, they are good for display but are way too long and the blade is way too big. You are better off paddling with an uncut 2x4

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light