Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:20 am 
I currently paddle a hardshell with a 55.5cm (22.5 inch) beach and use a 220cm paddle which is probably
a little long.

I realize there is no hard and fast rule but I was just wondering what length people use in the wider,
fullsized single folders such as AE-I, E65, Nautiraid Greenlander or460 and Pouch E65.

Additionaly do most people go with fixed length or adjustable paddles.

Tim W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I use a fixed 215cm paddle with my 23" beam Wisper, and also previously my (about) 25" beam Puffin Swift. I also use it in my inflatable, which is wider (around 28" I think) but it's okay in that boat because I'm sitting higher up - it's really a sit-on-top.

Paddler height can affect the ideal length as well as boat width, but I'd have thought your 220cm would be a good length to try in a wide folder.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 am 
Hello Mary, thanks for the feed back.

There is a tendency for paddlers (hardshell) around here to go for
the shorter length (<215cm) paddles at the moment. I was hoping
to try a shorter length paddle but I did not want something to short for a
folder at some time in the future.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 pm 
I shortened my paddles from 240 to 220cm for both K-I (25" beam) and Klondike (31" beam) and felt comfortable in both kayaks. Now I'm using 230 Werner Kaliste, but I wish that this paddle was available in 225 cm length. It would be perfect for me and both of my kayaks. By the way, I'm 6'4".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Between 191 and 218cm, usually a 210.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:38 pm 
AE1 is 28" wide - correct me if I'm wrong. So I agree with Mary - in a folder that wide and with a high wooden coaming (a.k.a washboard) around the cockpit a paddle 220 cm will not be too long for a person of average height. Don't know about other boats - it depends on their width. Short people need somewhat longer paddle to clear the boards. K1 is 27" wide, btw (not 25"), but it doesn't have a high coaming like AE1, so the same person can use a shorter paddle in K1 than in AE1.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 pm 
Boat paid for, build underway, LH Ute.... :D
Making a list of items to be purchased in the states as I expect to find nothing in Brazil for decent price if even available.
First item is a paddle (then paddle floatation device, PFD, gear bags, sleeping bag bug cover...?)
Paddle:
Greenland style or European?
Maybe two different types?
Regardless it\they need to break in half at least.
I am 5'6", any suggestions on length, I really have no idea.
Once I get the hang of it the boat will normally be weighted down with gear and I am a bit concerned about it riding high and hitting my hands on the wooden cowling so can paddle length minimize this issue?

Ebay has a Werner Kalliste, 220cm for US$295.00.
Should I be buying quality right off the bat or go cheap and delay the expensive gear for a more informed level later?

Thanx.....

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

With a shorter boat like the Ute a shorter paddle will encourage a high angle stroke which will help keep the boat tracking straighter than if you used a longer paddle with a low angle stroke. Also with a shorter paddle you will tend to increase your stroke rate and that might be more efficient for a shorter boat. So far as cost goes, price inceases as weight decreases. An all carbon paddle is the most expensive and also the most fragile. Good quality carbon/fiberglass hybrids are much less expensive and still quite light weight. But, whatever, don't buy a heavy, cheap, clunker; it will prove to be a frustration and you'll soon want to replace it.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:26 pm 
Thanks for that.
Any numbers to guide me?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:45 am 

Probably nothing longer than 220cm, maybe a bit shorter. I use both Epic and Werner paddles. The Werner Premium paddles are reasonably light, very tough and not too expensive. Both Epic and Werner have paddle length guides on their websites.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Thanx Jake.
Couple more questions...a straight handle or these handles that look like bicep barbels...sorry don't have the jargon down yet. I imagine straight to begin with.
Going through the Epic paddle wizard they ask about the seat height...I've no idea...anybody out there for a Ute moderately loaded, I am 175 sliding down to 160 lb's.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:09 pm 

Straight shaft vs bent shaft is personal preference as with so-called European vs Greenland paddles. It mostly provides stuff to argue about on paddling forums. Most paddlers seem to prefer straight shaft

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Get a light, stiff paddle. Avoid very heavy ones, ones with aluminum shafts, with heavy metal couplings, and ones with PVC blades. There are some nice wooden paddles that are a lot cheaper than the carbon fiber ones, like the Bending Branches paddles.

I favor long, narrow paddles myself, but if you like the European style, go for that.