Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:49 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have quite an involved history that is the background for this set of questions.
I'll fill in the blanks if you need, but it will get in the way right now:

1. )

Of the Paddle Types available, would an Aleut type paddle enable manoeuvering and forward locomotion of the water craft without requiring twisting your torso ?

2. )

Would using a single-blade Aleut style paddle be any more or less demanding, physically, than any other paddle type ?

3. )

Can you operate a single-blade paddle while seated in a Kayak seat ? Perhaps only for a canoe?

3. )

What paddle type do you recommend for the lowest physical impact that is still an effective tool to control and power the boat ?

Your input is much appreciated - thank you in advance :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:38 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

kenton wrote:
I have quite an involved history that is the background for this set of questions.
I'll fill in the blanks if you need, but it will get in the way right now:

1. )

Of the Paddle Types available, would an Aleut type paddle enable manoeuvering and forward locomotion of the water craft without requiring twisting your torso ?

Maybe, but any type of paddling will require torso movement

2. )

Would using a single-blade Aleut style paddle be any more or less demanding, physically, than any other paddle type ?
No, it will require the same amount of energy at a given speed to propel a boat. A smaller bladed paddle will be less taxing on your muscles and joints. I find smaller blades more effecient though. So you may be less fatigued over a given distance

3. )

Can you operate a single-blade paddle while seated in a Kayak seat ? Perhaps only for a canoe?
Tes
3. )

What paddle type do you recommend for the lowest physical impact that is still an effective tool to control and power the boat ?
Depends on the boat but I really like a 210cm Windswift. Use it for all my boats including a Klepper A2, but I use a lot of torso rotation.

Your input is much appreciated - thank you in advance :)

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:05 am 
Many people find Greenland style paddle less taxing on your body than Euro style (not to mention wing Euro style). Though, with a GP the cadence is faster and there is more torso rotation than with Euro. Wide boats are not suited well for GP - it is more efficient on beams 27" or less.
Not sure what you mean by Aleut style paddle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 am 
faltbootemeister

Alm wrote:
Many people find Greenland style paddle less taxing on your body than Euro style (not to mention wing Euro style). Though, with a GP the cadence is faster and there is more torso rotation than with Euro. Wide boats are not suited well for GP - it is more efficient on beams 27" or less.
Not sure what you mean by Aleut style paddle.

Since I'm once-removed from any meaningful experience, I've merely read the content of the links offered below -

What I've gathered is the Aleut style paddle is a one or two-bladed paddle, much like the Greenland style, but is made as a single- or a double-ridged paddle ( double-ridged sometimes being called a single-grooved paddle ) . Not sure I have it right, but the groove evidently supplies a drip ring effect .

As regards Aleut style paddles kindly review these notes and photos :
http://www.wolfgangbrinck.com/boats/paddles/index.html

These as well :
http://www.skinboats.org/skinboats/Aleut_Paddles.html

Here, these people produce both regular Greenland paddles and single-blade Alaskan/Aleut kayak and canoe paddles. This link is merely offered to show the page highlighting single-bladed Aleut paddles :

{ You'll have to cut and paste this as a link for the Single-bladed ... a limitation of the forum software which limits URL references to two :) } tuktupaddles.com/singleblade.html

Anyway, pointed longer paddle blades and the ridge running the length seem to set the AP apart from the GP. It appears they're finished differently as well, but I have no expertise to draw from.

Binck's website also shows Aleut wood hats ... I'm sure you've all been wondering where you can obtain one :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:04 pm 

Talk to the Tuktu guy as well as Don Beale http://www.bealepaddles.com/index.html
Don was messing around with King Island paddles for a while.
I occasionally use a single bladed toksook but found it too long with a lendal t handle and a half of a shaft. I have been meaning to make a sleave to connect the t handle and blade but it is pretty low on my priority list.
In the meantime,
you could go to Walmart and get a $10 canoe paddle and see if the dynamics will work for you.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:07 pm 
Single-bladed canoe paddle isn't as efficient in a kayak from low sitting position as 2-bladed GP or Euro. This has been my experience in 28" kayak where I tried canoe paddle because sail rig didn't leave enough room for GP. As a result, even with limited room and too wide beam for GP, it was still more efficient than single-bladed canoe paddle. I understand that single-bladed canoe paddle is designed for a higher sitting position like canoe bench, or for kneeling position. May be single-bladed Aleut paddle, despite being less efficient, is still more suitable for some health conditions, - don't know. GP seems to satisfy those with sore joints (there is no wrist rotation with GP), and with low cadence it results in a very low impact on your body, although the speed becomes slower too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 pm 

While I do not have any Aleut paddles, I do have a 40 inch Sawyer canoe paddle with a small blade you could try if you ever make it up to Tahoe. Another option is try 1/2 of a 2 piece kayak paddle to see if the mechanics work for you. I have used single blades in my Wepper and they work.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light