Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CM vs FT
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 pm 
I will make it short and sweet :( how many cm is 8'? ...also Iam 5'9", 180lbs ,just ordered a LH Mark2 ,.it was suggested to me to use a 8' graphic bent shaft paddle ANY comments would really be appreaciated. I will be paddling with my son who is a little larger than me allmost 6', 200lbs. and sometimes solo by myself. :?

Post subject: Re: CM vs FT
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:30 pm 
The short and not so sweet reply is 243.84 cm. The length of your paddle depends on the width of your boat and your paddling style. In a LH II the beam is wide and you will probably use a relativly flat stroke which points to a long paddle, usually 240 cm. Paddles can be very graphic but that adds little to the efficiency of your stroke. Graphite, which is what I think you meant, adds much to the cost of the paddle and shaves a few ounces. It's worth it if you do long trips. Bent shafts are a matter of taste. I prefer them but use both styles. As for going solo by yourself, have you figured out some other way to go solo?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 pm 
1'=12".
1" = 2.54 cm.
So - yes, 8ft is a little over 240 cm, and this sounds about right for MKII from the center position, though nobody usually measures paddles in ft - I donno why Mark does. Also, very few enthusiasts paddle big wide boats like MKII solo.

Quote:
As for going solo by yourself, have you figured out some other way to go solo?

Good point, 'cause doing it in MKII isn't the best way. A better way is getting a single boat, or a motor, or a sail (a single boat makes more sense to me if trip length/payload allows).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:25 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

240cm is way too long. That length encourage bad form and puts you at risk for shoulder injuries.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:29 pm 
Bad form (or, rather, a low-angle stroke) is inevitable consequence of paddling a very wide boat solo - you have to have a long paddle for it, unless you're very tall or sitting very high.