5-piece paddle

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

berniem
faltbootemeister

5-piece paddle

Post by berniem »

I am trying to find a 5-piece paddle that would fit into airline carry on luggage. I found two: SRS Kicker (http://www.simonriversports.ca/english/ ... icker.html), which looks well made and another by Sevylor (Coleman) that has poor reviews. Has anyone tried these or know of other brands?

Bernie
BernieM
Folbot Cooper, Pakboat Sport, Innova Sunny, Epic GPX, Oru Kayak, Wike Bicycle Trailer

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: 5-piece paddle

Post by gbellware »

Bernie,

Don't know where you live and what airport security looks like, but you should consider U.S. TSA policy. They will not let you carry on a paddle. They call it a potential weapon. I kid you not. I have tried my 4-piece fiberglass/carbon fiber Lendal and have been refused twice by TSA.

Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

berniem
faltbootemeister

Post by berniem »

In searching the web I found that others have also had problems with bringing a 4-piece paddle on a flight. The TSA does not specifically refer to a kayak paddle so that it is up to the individual screener. In one case, the screener apparently classified the paddle with hockey sticks and refused to allow it on. So - I guess the only safe option is to put it into a checked bag.
BernieM
Folbot Cooper, Pakboat Sport, Innova Sunny, Epic GPX, Oru Kayak, Wike Bicycle Trailer

berniem
faltbootemeister

Post by berniem »

g
When you were stopped from bringing the 4-piece paddle on the plane, was it packed in your luggage? I was looking for a 5-piece because it could be packed.
Bernie
BernieM

Return to “Paddles”