Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:19 pm 
forum fanatic

G'day fellow folders

I've just bought my first folder, a feathercraft k1 and am thinking about getting a Greenland paddle for it. My question is what length should I look at. I'm 175 cm ( which is 5 foot, 9 inches in imperial measurement). With my 580 sea kayak I paddle with a 240cm paddle (with a wing paddle) and for my down river racer I use a 214cm paddle (also a wing paddle), so I'm using a longer paddle than most paddlers my height. The question is should I also try a longer Greenland paddle? I'm now living in Sacramento and have limited options in terms of trying out different sizes.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Marty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:49 pm 
forum fan

The K1 is about 3-4 inches wider than the kayaks I generally paddle. I am 6' and I paddle with an 86" x 3" GP. Shoulder width is as an important factor as boat width so that adds another dimension to think through. Also the blade width is going to also affect how long you want it to be.

My suggestion would be for you to carve your own GP and start at 90" and then reduce in length until you find the size you are comfortable with. Similarly your loom width is going to change based on your boat width as well as your shoulder width, so start at 20 inches and carve it longer if you find it too short. If you want a typical blade width, most people paddle somewhere with blades between 3.5 and 3.0 inches. If you want to get to the real data behind these suggestions the QajaUSA forum has data from surveys showing the popularity of certain sizes.

If you are looking to buy one, then I suggest you speak directly to the paddler makers as they will have a wealth of knowledge on the appropriate paddle for your boat and body. But I would not recommend dropping much money until you have tried out many, either through carving or borrowing. There are designs of paddles that allow them to be varied in length, but that is simply by changing the loom length, so you are stuck with the same size and shape blade. This, in my opinion is a compromise, and you can potentially get a better fit by customizing the paddle to suit you and your boat. Once you know the specs that feel good to you, shop around amongst the many paddle makers to see who either has one or get them to make the one you want. But that is just my opinion. I have 14 carbon fiber Greenland paddles from nearly all the global carbon paddle makers and 6 wooden ones so if you want any advice on specifics please feel free to email me.

Good luck, I hope you have as much fun with Greenland paddles as I do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Ozpaddler wrote:
G'day fellow folders

I've just bought my first folder, a feathercraft k1 and am thinking about getting a Greenland paddle for it. My question is what length should I look at. I'm 175 cm ( which is 5 foot, 9 inches in imperial measurement). With my 580 sea kayak I paddle with a 240cm paddle (with a wing paddle) and for my down river racer I use a 214cm paddle (also a wing paddle), so I'm using a longer paddle than most paddlers my height. The question is should I also try a longer Greenland paddle? I'm now living in Sacramento and have limited options in terms of trying out different sizes.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Marty

I have a couple with me in Emeryville and you are welcome to try them either here or up on Tahoe later this spring, one is a Northern Lights take apart. btw saw a few whales under the GG Bridge last weekend

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks for the generous offer Chuck, I'd be very keen to take you up on it. If your heading out on the bay for a paddle one weekend and wouldn't mind an Ozzy tag-along ill shout the post paddle coffee's. I'm also happy to host a Sydney harbour paddle when I get home in return.

And Thank-you for your advice on carving a paddle Christopher. It's something that I'd like to give a go in the future, but don't have the tools at the moment.

Marty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:15 am 

Ozpaddler wrote:
Thanks for the generous offer Chuck, I'd be very keen to take you up on it. If your heading out on the bay for a paddle one weekend and wouldn't mind an Ozzy tag-along ill shout the post paddle coffee's. I'm also happy to host a Sydney harbour paddle when I get home in return.

And Thank-you for your advice on carving a paddle Christopher. It's something that I'd like to give a go in the future, but don't have the tools at the moment.

Marty

I am here for another 6 weeks, maybe longer and off the 1st weekend in May

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:50 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Ozpaddler wrote:

Marty

You'd be surpirsed at how little you need if you get a a good woodworking shop to do the initial shape with a band saw to your sharpie lines.You can get get away with a very good low angle block plane (mine is a quenshang mk 2), a chisel, sandpaper and a good tool sharpening system (eg scary sharp). As all the planing is done pulling you don,t even need a workbench but can do it across your lap seated, although a workbench is better. Doing it with Western Red Cedar is a good idea as it's light and sooooo easy to work, much easier than spruce imho. Lots of tips available on the net including http://www.yostwerks.com/GPIntro.html

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks again for the offer Chuck

I'm also away over the other side of the country for the next 2 weekends, ill drop you a line when I get back to see if your going for a local paddle that I could tag along to

Marty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:06 pm 
faltbootemeister

There are other avenues to obtain a Greenland ... or an Aleutian, for that matter.

One other such avenue yields the basis upon which, in your own time, you exert your own energy using common simple, inexpensive hand-tools.

[ Only supplied to show another option; nothing else implied ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 pm 
forum fan

What a great concept, thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:23 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks Kenton, what a great site, I'll definitely be going to have a look at his paddles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 pm 
faltbootemeister

Ozpaddler wrote:
Thanks Kenton, what a great site, I'll definitely be going to have a look at his paddles.

Offered to be helpful, I'm glad it seems to have been. If/When possible, share your findings :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 pm 
forum fanatic

G'day Chuck

I've just got back to California after a brief visit to the other Sid of the country and was wondering if you'd still in the Bay Area and interested in going for a paddle.

Marty

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 pm 

I am up for tomorrow, Mon or Tuesday. Will pm my #

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny