Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:41 pm 
paddler

A buddy of mine & I are heading up to Alaska this summer for an extended paddle, and after much debate we have decided to bring solid cedar Greenland paddles (220cm) as our primary paddles for the trip. Our last hurdle is finding the best way to transport them from MD to Alaska. We are weighing either flying with them or (hopefully) finding a good way to ship them so we can pick them up in Ketchikan.

Our main concern with flying is that they might not make it past bag check depending on how grumpy the person at the counter was feeling that day, but finding a good way to ship has been a little tricky as well.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for the best way to transport them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:06 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Several times when I've had heavy or bulky items, like camping gear or research equipment, that I needed at a distant location I arranged with whatever small hotel or B & B that I will be staying at the first night at the destination to agree to accept and store a shipped box from me that would arrive a few days before I did. One piece GP's can be shipped in a strong cardboard tube -- you may be able to get one from a carpeting store if you can't find one elsewhere.

A simpler long term solution is to get a 3-piece break-down paddle like the Northern Lights carbon. I love my one piece cedar GP but I travel with the Northern Lights one, packed with my kayak.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:53 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Or, take a couple hand tools and carve a new one up there... supposedly the best 'paddle' cedar originates from that neighborhood. Might want to practice on one or two at home first... ha. But how cool would it be to paddle with an original Alaskan paddle?

Otherwise I like Kerry's idea on shipping beforehand. Actually you might be able to buy one up there for a little more than the price of shipping. Those 'oversize' packages can get pricey and weight is generally not a factor.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:40 pm 
forum fanatic

Put the paddles in a ski bag and check them at the airport. My wife and I did that with two folding kayaks we picked up in Germany a couple of years ago. We had only carry-on's for our personal items. So, we checked two soft rolling-style bags with the hulls and ribs and two ski bags with the longerons and other long pieces. We flew economy on Lufthansa with connection on United and they didn't question anything and didn't charge us. Were we lucky? Probably. Just have a backup plan, such as Lee's suggestion.

Klepper A I & II
Klepper T- 9
Klepper T-65
Klepper T-66
Klepper T-67
Klepper SL-59
Klepper Vagabund 1929
Pionier 520 Z
Hammer Wandereiner
Hart Sioux Turbillon
Gesa Moell
Chauveau Slalom
Chauveau Greenland Style Sea Kayak
Gesa Slalom 58

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

What a great idea, the ski bags. Common luggage... camo in plain sight. Nice.

Hey is that list of boats getting longer? Looks like it. I take it the Museum is coming along.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 pm 
forum fanatic

Sort of. Those are only the folders. In addition, I have lots of fiberglass kayaks used for whitewater in the 60's as well as an original Hollowform, which was the first commercially available rotomolded plastic kayak. A couple of the folders are true museum quality. I doubt if the T 67 and the Hammer Wandereiner were ever in the water.

Flying with rigid kayaks is a much more daunting challenge. Europeans used to come to Salida, Colorado to race in the 50's, 60's and 70's with downriver kayaks, 14 feet, 9 inches in length. They would find planes with luggage compartments able to take the boats and carry them up to the ticket counter! But, they would not take them back because there were always local paddlers eager to buy the latest models from Europe.

Klepper A I & II
Klepper T- 9
Klepper T-65
Klepper T-66
Klepper T-67
Klepper SL-59
Klepper Vagabund 1929
Pionier 520 Z
Hammer Wandereiner
Hart Sioux Turbillon
Gesa Moell
Chauveau Slalom
Chauveau Greenland Style Sea Kayak
Gesa Slalom 58

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:20 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

What an amazing collection! Is the Chauveau Greenland Stule sea kayak what went on to become the original Nautiraid Greenlander that a couple of members here have?

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island