Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wooden Klepper Paddle
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:38 am 
I bought a wooden Klepper paddle from an Ebay seller, and am interested in knowing whether it is something I can actually use (which is why I bought it), or is more suitable for use as part of a nautical themed home decor. It should arrive sometime next week.

Thanks,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:15 am 
Site Admin

It's certainly usable, and not so valuable that you should hang it on a wall and venerate it ;-) There are of course newer, lighter and more efficient paddles, but if I were you I'd put a couple of fresh coats of spar varnish on it and take it to the river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:17 pm 
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Canoe paddles don't work well with the Redboat, I've already had to buy some spar varnish for the boat's repaired frames, and $49.00 is pretty cheap, from what I've been seeing at places like REI and Lightning Paddles, for a two-piece paddle. :D

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:06 pm 
Christov_Tenn wrote:
$49.00 is pretty cheap, from what I've been seeing at places like REI and Lightning Paddles, for a two-piece paddle. :D

Chris

Well, this would be a "hearsay evidence" on my part, but the word is that wooden paddles by Klepper are very basic - they are included for free with new boats. Folbot includes low-end aluminum-shaft paddles ($60 or $70 new). Low-end 2-piece paddles start from $50 or 60: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 6446401880 (canadian store, so divide the price by 1.25).

OTH, Lightning is the very top of the line - it's like a Porshe of paddles. I'm using a $120 Aquabound, - this would be somewhere in the middle of the line-up.

Post subject: No Worries
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:07 pm 
Alm wrote:

Well, this would be a "hearsay evidence" on my part, but the word is that wooden paddles by Klepper are very basic - they are included for free with new boats.

Basic is o.k., right now. I'm a beginner and am trying to limit expense. Did purchase better, lighter weight paddle for my wife. When I can justify to myself the expense of a better paddle, I'll hang the decorative Klepper paddle on the livingroom wall (but won't actually subject it to veneration :)).

The Klepper paddles look a lot like the older Folbot paddles, which I'd've bid on had there been just one for sale, as opposed to the usual pair at auction.

My two centavos? As to free, it's more likely the company factors in the cost of the paddles to the cost of their boats. Because they buy in volume, the cost of the paddles to the boat-makers is probably a break-even item or a slight loss chalked up to the cost of doing business.

Pakboats, for instance, doesn't include paddles with their boats, but does sell them as accessories.

Chris

Post subject: Drip Rings
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:17 pm 
Today I learned the importance of drip rings by not having them :oops::x . Will the drip rings available at online retailers fit the wooden Klepper paddle?

Thanks,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:25 pm 
Measure your shaft diameter (it could be slightly oval on some shafts) and compare to your another paddle , if you're in doubt. Drip-rings are made of rubber, and will fit a wide range of diameters.