Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:14 pm 
I need a paddle that can travel in the same pack as the boat (an FC Khat). Given the 36" max dimension of the boat's backpack, a 2-piece paddle isn't going to fit. What 4-piece paddles have folks tried & what did you like about them?

Thanks.

Post subject: My favorite paddle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:09 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

is the windswift by eddyline. Available in a 4 piece. I found the connections loosen up. Lendal makes an excellent 4 piece system. All shafts and blades are interchangeable and the lock system makes a 4 piece feel like a 1 piece.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 pm 
Which of the Lendal blades have you tried?

Post subject: Use a Kinetic S
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:31 pm 

Have tried the Archipelago which is way too big and the Kinetic which is still a bit big.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:52 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I have the Kinetic Touring and the Kinetic Touring S. I like the S version a bit better; it's slightly smaller than the Kinetic Touring model. The Lendal 4 pc system is very good. I agree with Chuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:11 am 
These are the first and only two paddles I've bought: I have two 4 piece paddles from Aquabound: the Seaquel Glass and the Manta Ray Carbon. The latter is a smaller size in length and suits me better (as well as being lighter) but I like them and would buy Aquabound again - if only it were easy.

I found it very difficult finding anyone who stocked 4 piece paddles in the UK; both paddles were bought (the first with enormous difficulty!) from the USA. I've just realised that Lendal (spelling?) do make 4 pieces. But it seemed it was shock/horror when I mentioned the word 4 earlier this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:21 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I have a Lendal 4-piece with the Archipelago blade, which I like (admittedly not having tried many others). Because Lendal have so many options of shaft and blade, shops don't stock them all. I had to place a special order, and it took a while to be delivered (I can't remember exactly, weeks but not months). I agree with others that the Lendal locking system works well, quick to assemble/dismantle, solid when in use.

Lendal also do a special paddle-bag for 4-piece paddles - the bag holds 2 paddles, or 1 plus some extra space. I bought one of these as well, but in practice I've seldom used it. I usually carry the paddle in a bigger hand-held bag, along with buoyancy aid, water shoes etc.

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:18 pm 

Chuck, didn't you mention that cool Aleut-style blade that's sold by Hutchinson's folks in the UK? I remember noticing that they will sell you one that fits the Lendahl 4-piece system...

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject: Chris
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:56 pm 

I saw that. I may be ordering a pair. but first I need to get another drysuit, mine is too tight in the shoulders now, a rudder for the Big Blue Marroon and some parts for the BBM.
I had a set that were not compatable with Lendals. I let Derek Hutchinson talk me into a 230 90 deg angle and I could not shorten or change the angle. This time it would be a 205-210 cm with a variable angle.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject: 4-piece paddle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:10 pm 
Nimbus makes exellent 4-piece glass paddles. My 220cm KISKA, a rather small blade, weighs 833g (!). I have been using a KISKA for about ten years, it is still holding strong. The one I am talking about here is a new paddle with impressively improved blades. I ordered a new one because I needed a shorter shaft length with a smaller diameter. The connection of the segments is done in the `traditional´ way via spring buttons. That means you can´t adjust the length and degree of feather. That would be a nice feature if you like to switch between boats, like a Wisper and an AEII, or if the paddle is being used by different paddlers. If it is just you and the one kayak you probably don´t want to carry the extra weight (and may be trouble) of those sophisticated connections. There is no distribution for Nimbus in Europe. I ordered directly at the factory. Everything was trouble-free, great support. Although shipping and tax was added to the cost I ended up with a really competitive price. I payed far less than I would have had to for a Feathercraft, not to mention Werner; the quality probably being on par. You lucky people in North America can get the paddles for CDN § 280,- .
Besides traditional euro-style paddles they offer very long and narrow blade designs. They are 61cm long and their width varies between 10cm, 11,5cm and 14cm. Since the Wisper hit the market there seems to be growing demand for Greenland designs. May be some paddlers do not need a true Greenland paddle and could be happy with that hybrids.

stephan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:14 pm 
forum fan

I think this post is worth revisiting as the industry and availability of 4-piece paddles has changed in the last four years.

I am on a similar quest to find a fixed length, 4-piece paddle that is no heavier than 800g/28oz. Preferably with a bent shaft and an adjustable feather angle. I haven't had much luck finding one. The only brand that I know of that sells a 4-piece bent shaft is Lendal, and they are in the middle of transitioning ownership and supposedly they will be bringing back quality design and craftsmanship that the company was known for before they were bought up by Johnson Outdoors. So there is a supply issue as well as the fact that Lendal 4-piece paddle variations weigh in over 2lbs.

Nimbus makes light 4-piece custom paddles, but has no distribution network, so it would be a gamble to purchase a $375 paddle sight unseen - plus there is no adjustable feather and no bent shaft option.

Eddyline/Swift has 4-piece straight shaft-only designs, but I've discovered what their weight chart fails to show, there is a +3oz weight hit for the 4-piece design, which brings their lightest and most expensive graphite paddles in the 4-piece configuration to around 32oz. $390 for a 2lbs paddle is a lot when you can find many 2-piece paddles that are 25% lighter and 50% less costly.

I have found some inexpensive 4-piece paddles from Advanced Elements, Aquabound, and Cannon Paddles. I own a fiberglass Cannon Wave that is currently serving me well as a spare/backup paddle. But all of them are heavy and don't really have any of the neutral bend shaft options which is my main reason for this search for a new paddle. So does anyone know of another manufacturer, in North America or abroad, that produces a lightweight 4-piece paddle with a bent shaft?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:05 am 
forum fanatic

If the search for a four piece paddle is based on the weight of a two piece or a one piece...and 3 oz is too big a weight gain to be able to carry a paddle anywhere...then forget the search.

If a paddle is going to remain dependable and not be so poorly laid up as far as necessary material for strength....then it will need to be at least the weight of the existing paddles (until some flash technology comes about) to add ferrules and buttons or any connecting paraphernalia,and the supporting structure for them, will add weight.

I've been making my own 4 piece Greenland paddles and this is a major stopping point for the public to ever see anything like this on the market....weight...the public thinks it matters so much that for the ability to carry a paddle...3 oz is too much....price is another stopping factor.

to build a quality paddle it costs money....not going to find a good 4 piece paddle that weighs in the 20 oz range much less, for under the cost of the materials themselves.

sorry for the rant...but it's not going to happen :roll:

Best Wishes
Roy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:52 am 
FadedRed wrote:
If the search for a four piece paddle is based on the weight of a two piece or a one piece...and 3 oz is too big a weight gain to be able to carry a paddle anywhere...then forget the search.

Agreed 100%. Extra ferrules and push-buttons add weight (they also add more play on joints).

I can think of only one valid reason to own a 4-piece Euro paddle over a 2-piece ("packcamera" is looking for Euro) - taking it with air luggage. There is an alternative to this - a 2-piece Greenland Paddle. It will be portable enough for air luggage (low chance of damage), so there won't be need in complications and compromises related to 4-piece Euro. Good carbon 2-piece GP won't be cheap, and there aren't too many around. Inexpensive 4-piece Aquabound is good for carrying around as a spare paddle, it's easy on wallet, but it's not good for paddling.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:55 pm 
forum fan

Roy - no need to apologize, not really a rant at all. I think Alex got the point that I was looking for a Euro-style paddle. I was hoping someone who travels with their kayak as I do, knew of some obscure paddlemaker brewing quality 4-piece performance paddles carved from unicorn horns and sprinkled with fairy dust.

My issue with the 3oz increase is not so much of a weight penalty, but an metric indicator. There are many affordable 2-piece Euro-style, performance-oriented (multi-day trip) paddles in the 24-27oz range (I really like the inexpensive 24oz Grey Owl Zephyr). Once paddles hit the 32 oz mark, they seem to usually fall in the category of "recreational." Spending $400 for a paddle that breaks down to 4-pieces that weighs the same and has less features than a $200 2-piece, is a bit hard for me to swallow. If there was a reasonably priced 25oz 2-pc bent shaft paddle that had an option for a 4-pc with the same 3oz weight supplement, I would happily purchase it. I think that my specs are realistic, (unlike the 20oz that Roy suggests). Some of the brands/models I mentioned above come very close, (Swift) but the neutral bend option is really difficult to find. So alas, as this thread is proving , like the unicorn, perhaps there is no such beast...

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:59 pm 
Quote:
the neutral bend option [in 4-piece lightweight version] is really difficult to find. So alas, as this thread is proving , like the unicorn, perhaps there is no such beast...

I think such a beat has not evolved for a good reason. Folding kayak is already a compromise, compared to performance kevlar surf ski or custom made skin-on-frame. Makes sense going for further compromises, since we are (usually) flying for mere 2-3 weeks trip, not for a whole season or racing events. Less efficient or heavier paddle will have to do then. Possible damage in the luggage is another reason to fly with a cheaper, simpler and heavier paddle.

Some inexpensive 4-piece paddles are crap, good only as a spare paddle - Aquabound is one of them. Too much play on joints after very short time. If vacation trip isn't too demanding, many low-end 4-piece will do, as long as it doesn't shake like crazy.