Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Currenty use
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:43 pm 
forum fanatic

the Carlisle "Day Tripper" with my Innova Sunny. This paddle fits well with the "don't spend too much until you know what you want" strategy. I paid $40 for it at Cabela's. It is assymetic, dihedral, and about 38 oz. I bought the 230 cm, which I've found to be the right size for me (6'-1") and my boat (33" beam). If possible, borrow different paddles of various sizes before you buy - that will at least help you to narrow down the options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:46 am 
forum fanatic

Lendal Kinetic Tour 220 cm. carbon. Soon to pick up a Greenland blank from Wolfgang Brinck and do a bit of carving.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 pm 
faltbootemeister

My wife uses a 240 Werner Camano carbon straight shaft and I use a 240 Werner Skagit carbon straight shaft. I may trade the later in for a Camano this spring. I bought the Skagit at REI. We paddled an Advanced Elements Convertible last year. Soon a LH MK2. Yea! I use a low angle stroke and hope I don't catch my fingernails on the deck. The AEC is 32 in wide with a flater deck (more or less). Will I want a 250? Or does the more slanted shape of the deck on the MK2 less likely to interfere with my fingers?

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

FrankP wrote:
My wife uses a 240 Werner Camano carbon straight shaft and I use a 240 Werner Skagit carbon straight shaft. I may trade the later in for a Camano this spring. I bought the Skagit at REI. We paddled an Advanced Elements Convertible last year. Soon a LH MK2. Yea! I use a low angle stroke and hope I don't catch my fingernails on the deck. The AEC is 32 in wide with a flater deck (more or less). Will I want a 250? Or does the more slanted shape of the deck on the MK2 less likely to interfere with my fingers?

you would be much better off with a 210-215 paddle. Try some shorter paddles at Canoecopia.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 am 
faltbootemeister

A 210 even with the 34 inch beam? The boat we used last year was 32 inches wide and 240 seemed best. In fact my wife started with a 230 Camano and took it back the next day for a 240. Fingernails on the deck. You just can't have that!

What reasons do you have to go with such a short paddle? I will try a shorter paddle in Madison but I doubt they will have the right kayak there.

What advantage other than being able to have a higher cadence and a little lighter is there in having a shorter paddle?

BTW, my question is not to challenge your answer, more curious after our experience last year. I have never been inside a MK2 either. Will the MK2 kayak design help you use a shorter paddle?

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 am 

FrankP wrote:
A 210 even with the 34 inch beam? The boat we used last year was 32 inches wide and 240 seemed best. In fact my wife started with a 230 Camano and took it back the next day for a 240. Fingernails on the deck. You just can't have that!

What reasons do you have to go with such a short paddle? I will try a shorter paddle in Madison but I doubt they will have the right kayak there.

What advantage other than being able to have a higher cadence and a little lighter is there in having a shorter paddle?

BTW, my question is not to challenge your answer, more curious after our experience last year. I have never been inside a MK2 either. Will the MK2 kayak design help you use a shorter paddle?

I used a 210 small blade with an Aerius 2. Its much more efficient ie easier on the body so can go faster and further with less work. What I found with the Klepper and Folbot double is the seat is way too low and I used a 3 in foam block as a seat to get an efficient seating position. I had a good video clip on this site that got deleted after Mike had to fix up after a hack attack. Will post if I can find it. A single blade will work well too http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=103 ... =3&theater Should be public so all can see

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am 

I got a chance to try out my new Feathercraft Klatwa paddle a couple days ago with the AII. 220cm and pretty narrow. I liked it. I have another GP paddle by Eric Schade that is 230 with a little wider blade (one piece) that I really like. The 230 has a little more bite than the Klatwa and is still easy on the arms. I was beating against the current with the Klatwa the entire paddle the other day which made the boat feel a little heavier than what I'm used to on my lake with the Schade paddle. So although the jury is still out until I get a chance to try these paddles side by side I did like the 220 length of the Klatwa. Like Chuck I sit a little higher in my AII. I put a deck on top of the ribs and a Long Haul comfort seat on top of the deck - probably raising me up an easy 3 inches. The 220 length resulted in a more vertical paddling position which brought a lot of water into the boat over the course of two hour paddle without spray deck.

My average speed with the Klatwa was 2.6 knots. I think it would have been closer to 3 without the current against me.

I must say that it was great to separate this GP paddle and put it into the back of the car. The Schade paddle gets pretty beat up when I travel with the family as it has to ride either on the roof rack or down the drivers side of the car with one end extending forward of my drivers seat along the door.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 pm 
forum fan

I have found that a two part paddle can be too long for aircraft luggage so I now take a three part Novorca Greenland paddle when I travel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 pm 

Wow Christopher, those are really cool looking paddles. How do you like yours?

http://novorca.com/paddles-2/color/

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:59 pm 

Looks like santa will be making some special deliveries, when i order one and receive it dare i use it, these NOVORCA paddles look fantastic. ( the goverment say i shouldn,t but time is running out)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 pm 
forum fan

I have never found a better multipart paddle, I have over a dozen Greenland paddles.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm 
faltbootemeister

We alternate, depending on how rough the landings are, between both 240 Camano straight and both 240 Kalliste straight. We like them both.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:10 am 
forum fanatic

I use some home made Greenland paddles, that I brewed up.....I like my paddles I've built better than any others. I , Like Christopher, have well over a dozen:}
Best Wishes
Roy