Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PFD help
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:51 am 
Does anyone have information on the Lotus Mildwater PDF? With nearly all mesh on the back, how safe is it for keeping you afloat?
Or the Lotus Deepwater?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:41 pm 
I tried to find a forum with a thread on this PFD (about 5 or 6 messages with photos), - but coudn't. As I recall, they also discussed its official rating - it was USCG approved. Here is one opinion (Malcolm has quite substantial paddlig experience, though): http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Techn ... read/16636
I'm planning on buying one, probably Mildwater. Deepwater's only difference is 2 lash tabs and larger left pocket for VHF (who keeps VHF in a pocket anyway?), and extra $40 price-tag. Don't have to buy any, actually, - after having my older PFD with multiple vertical panels modified to fit higher backrest (couldn't bring myself to maiming a newer one), but I like ventilated back of this Deep/Mildwater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:21 am 
I've had the mildwater for a year now. It works, I dont notice any less or more floatation than other vests I've used. The pockets are small, but on one side I can stash skyblazers and a few light sticks, the other holds a whistle, compass and can fit my vhf, though somewhat tightly. Rather than being noticeably cooler the mesh back allows you to layback more and lets me wear a dry bag type fanny pack which I use sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:08 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I have two Mildwaters I've been using for over a year, now. Love them. 16 lbs of floatation is 16 lbs of floatation-- they work at least as well as anything else, and are much cooler and much more comfortable with high-backed seats. If you want more carrying capacity on your person, get a sealpack/waistpack.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

I've been using the Mildwater for a couple of years for anything other than open water and big waves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:49 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

and... What do you use for open water and big waves?

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Alm wrote:
I'm planning on buying one, probably Mildwater. Deepwater's only difference is 2 lash tabs and larger left pocket for VHF (who keeps VHF in a pocket anyway?),
I do. I want it with me if I go in the drink or get washed ashore. Also makes listening to it much easier. Plus, gets better reception than if it is laying on the deck of my boat. Mine is lanyarded to the closure strap on its pocket.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:38 am 
Site Admin

chrstjrn wrote:
and... What do you use for open water and big waves?

My better judgment ;-)

Actually, I have a number of older PFDs in different sizes with higher flotation, but I couldn't tell you the model names. Two are Extrasports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:47 pm 
>I want it (VHF) with me if I go in the drink or get washed ashore. Also makes listening to it much easier. Plus, gets better reception than if it is laying on the deck of my boat. Mine is lanyarded to the closure strap on its pocket.

Sorry - I didn't make it clear; I meant - mounting it on the shoulder strap rather than keeping in a pocket. Laying on the deck it will be useless if you and boat get separated.