"GPS Trackmaker" and Google Earth

PFDs, flares, signals, flotation bags, radios.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

VE3JC John

"GPS Trackmaker" and Google Earth

Post by VE3JC John »

In spite of some lousy weather forecasts, I decided to bring along the FC Big Kahuna to Vancouver BC, when I had a few days of vacation back in November. Between the dreary wet days and enjoyable family visits, I managed to sneak in a couple of pleasant paddles.
As usual I took along my Garmin etrex legend, to log my travels. After getting back home I downloaded my tracklogs, and decided to install the newest version of the free "GPS Trackmaker" program. One of the very interesting features of this new version is its "Google Earth" link, which superimposes your waypoints and tracklogs over Google Earth - providing incredible detail of your route.
Checking out some of my archived kayak tracklogs, I was amazed at the details, and recollections, this brought back. Marine charts and topo maps are great, but this definitely provides a new perspective for reviewing - and I expect for planning - kayak paddles.
Season's greetings from John C, London Ontario

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by chrstjrn »

Wow-- that's terrific!
Chris T.
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig.
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind and T12 restoration projects.
Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Kapitän von Klepper

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

Cool! I saw a blurb about this in January Nat. Geo.

Return to “Safety and Navigation Gear”