Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:41 pm 
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding the purchase of a good deck mounted compass? I have a Feathercraft Kahuna. Naturally, you can't permanently fasten a compass to the deck, so a bungee cord setup is a must.
I just got a Ritchie K-TD 2 tie down kit and a Ritchie XP-99 kayaker compass in the mail today which I ordered. I asked a Rep. from Ritchie if this set-up would mount on my foldable Feathercraft. She said yes. Well, looking at the tie down through the plastic vacuum packaging, it has a fairly stiff mounting plate and a good size rubber ring that is supposed to mate with the kayak deck. I don't think this set up is going to work very well on my Kahuna and I don't want to open the packaging which would make a product return impossible.
So my question again: Is there a better alternative deck compass which would be more suitable for my foldable kayak?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:24 pm 
Quote:
it has a fairly stiff mounting plate and a good size rubber ring that is supposed to mate with the kayak deck.

if it's rubber, it will mate. You can always cut/sand a deeper V-groove for better fit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:51 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Andreadawn on the UK forum paddles a K1, with a compass mounted on the bow. The compass is visible in quite a lot of her photos - try this thread:
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =4&t=61604 - to see if her set-up looks possible for your Kahuna.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:36 am 
I use a cheap Suunto Orca compas with that came with rubber base and bungees with closed hooks that attach to deck rigging or D-rings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:19 pm 
I have an older AE2 which has no deck perimeter safety grab lines to use to attach a deck compass with bungees. The only D rings are for using with the mast stays, and they are placed too far back to use with a compass.

So-- what is the best way to put a deck compass on an old AE2 or AE1??

Thank you!!

Don

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:01 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Klepper make a compass board that clamps to the coaming with "j" bolts. I made my own which also holds a radio and GPS.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:55 pm 
BPDon wrote:
I have an older AE2 which has no deck perimeter safety grab lines to use to attach a deck compass with bungees. The only D rings are for using with the mast stays, and they are placed too far back to use with a compass.

So-- what is the best way to put a deck compass on an old AE2 or AE1??

Deviation from the FC deck issue (which I think isn't an issue at all, rubber will bend around) - but here is a suggestion. Get 4 Hypalon D-patches (D-ring with Hypalon patch) like those http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1462&utm_campaign=shop_comp&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=sz_NRS_Hypalonreg_2_Dring_Patch-1462 - can't remember where I saw them smaller and cheaper, either Longhaul, or Klepper dealer, or some makers of inflatable boats. Glue it just below the hull-deck seam, 2 on each side. You don't need patch as big as 6" round - I would cut it down to smaller size. D-ring on NRS patch is huge 2", for your purposes 1" or 3/4" is fine. D can be plastic or stainless - doesn't matter for this low-stress application. You can glue them anywhere you want - but not on the canvas deck, 'cause glue won't stick to canvas well.

I've done this on my Kahuna when needed D-rings in unusual location, only that I had to make my own D-patches out of Urethane FC hull material (Hypalon wouldn't work for me), with 1" stainless D-rings. Holds surprisingly well on the hull, and will likely outlast the boat.

As to the compass... With most trips done in visual proximity to the shore, I don't bother with deck compass. For me it's $10 compass on small transparent plate with lanyard to hang on the neck or keep in a pocket. Unlike deck compass, I can use it for working with maps ashore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 am 
Alex and John-

Thank you for the suggestions.

Alex, I doubt that I will be out of sight of shore since I am still a beginner. I do have a waterproof (it floats!) base plate orienteering compass. Perhaps that is a good way to start. I have lost the lanyard, but that should be easy to replace.

I already have a GPS which I use for backpacking, so maybe I can mount it on a board.

John- how do you keep your GPS dry when mounted on the board you made?

Since I don't have any immersion clothing, maybe that is a better place to put my $ instead of buying a deck compass until I get good enough to get out of the sight of land. (That may be awhile!!)

Thank you both.

Don

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:05 pm 
Quote:
Since I don't have any immersion clothing, maybe that is a better place to put my $ instead of buying a deck compass

Good idea, the problem is that good Goretex drysuit will cost 15-20 times more than deck compass. Though, you can buy a lot of useful things for those $40-50 - neoprene socks or Chotas, good gloves or pogies etc.

For GPS in a double boat like AE2 you might need a control board, but in a single kayak (even with cockpit as large as AE1) you don't have to. I found that fore deckbag suits the purpose well - GPS is useful in unfamiliar places or when you want to know how soon you'll be there at that crawling speed ;-) , but most time you don't need GPS in front of you. In AE1 (in my case it was MK1) small deckbag can be attached over the triangular fore end of the cockpit. Again, you might need D-rings for that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 am 
Alex-

Wellllll-- I was thinking more like a farmer John and a paddle jacket, rather than a full goretex drysuit which at $1200 or so is wayyyy beyond my ability to get thru the financial committee. Maybe a farmer Jane too. I guess those will run maybe $200 or so each, hopefully they will be adequate in the rather calm waters we are paddling in at this time.

Any suggestions on where to get a front mounting deck bag as you were describing for the AE-1? Long Haul??

Thanks!

Don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:12 am 
Don. check NRS prices before going to your financial committee. Kokatat Goretex with socks and relief zipper costs $900, and there are twice cheaper breathable suits by Kokatat (Tropos fabric) and NRS. Can't say anything for or against this choice. Farmer John/Jane care around $100, - not $200.

Regarding the deckbag - brand and model isn't not a big deal. Just any that fits your volume requirements. I like keeping many items there (besides GPS) - rain jacket, fleece vest, water flask etc, so it's average to large size. Made of an old daypack, soaked in water repellent. Dedicated kayaking deck bags start from $30 and are not waterproof anyway. If fabric is waterproof, water will get in through zippers, seams and punctures. You can even use a large waist pack as a small deck bag - buy some for $3 in a secondhand store if you don't have one collecting dust already.

There are no deckbags that can be mounted instantly on the fore triangle of AE1 cockpit without attachment points like D-rings. I meant that you can place the bag here and it will stay without falling through, but you need attachment points. Vaguely recall some small plate for compass or GPS utilizing the hole in mast collar, - but not a deckbag.

Hypalon D-patches with 1" plastic ring can be cheaply and easily made, now that I think about it. Just cut the slot in 4x4" patch, pass the ends of 1" Hypalon strip in there, folded around the ring, with ends inside and ring outside, and glue the thing onto the hull. My patch on the photo is for high stress, webbing loop sewn and glued to the patch, with completely flat surface on the hull (the webbing is all outside), but yours doesn't have to.
Another option is driving in some screws into the wooden coaming, but I somehow don't like this idea.