Best float bags

PFDs, flares, signals, flotation bags, radios.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

big ron

Best float bags

Post by big ron »

Hi
looking at getting pair of float bags for klepper quattro. I keep reading that Feathercraft are amongst the best. Any thoughts suggestions would be welcome.

krudave
Site Admin

Re: Best float bags

Post by krudave »

big ron wrote:Hi
looking at getting pair of float bags for klepper quattro. I keep reading that Feathercraft are amongst the best. Any thoughts suggestions would be welcome.
Many good choices out there. I suspect that the Rec 4.0 or 6.0 from Voyageur might be the correct size for filling the ends: http://www.voyageur-gear.com/2002_produ ... r=B#V32610

Rutabaga can order these for you.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

Feathercraft bags are very good, but they're also very expensive. $60 for a float bag? Pish! Also, they lack grommets, so you can't tie them in, and they're designed for FC boats which are signifigantly narrower than Kleppers.

I've been using generic no-name float bags for three years with no problems. They cost the equivalent of $10 a pop. I've only ever had one leak, and that only a pinhole, so it deflated very slowly. Flotation is very important, vital even, but the risk of catastrophic failure seems very small to me. My advice? Do your wallet a favour and go for something cheaper.

Nohoval

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Feathercraft are indeed the best, as they combine a leakproof PVC inner bladder with an abrasion resistant nylon outer bag. But as noted, they're specific to Feathercraft boats.

I've used a great variety of bags, and never had any leak. I suggest you get 2 or 3 bags designed for white water canoing. They're perfect for the larger volume of folding boats. And bring a patch kit and a spare.

larrybluhm

Post by larrybluhm »

The float bags that came with my FoldingCraft lasted only a few weeks. I used two Seattle Sport large (stern) bags -had to buy two sets - and got a bit better wear but still had the occasional puncture. I then bit the bullet and got a pair of large FeatherCraft bags. Adding a grommet to each was a simple operation. They have been in service for over two years without even the hint of a problem. Very reassuring...

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

krudave wrote:
big ron wrote:Hi
Many good choices out there. I suspect that the Rec 4.0 or 6.0 from Voyageur might be the correct size for filling the ends: http://www.voyageur-gear.com/2002_produ ... r=B#V32610

Rutabaga can order these for you.
Hello,
I also have to find flotation bags for the Klepper Tandem
I tried the above link but I may not find my way around ... :oops:

Any help on flotation bags is very welcomed..

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

best float bags

Post by john allsop »

Look in the PHOTO GALLERY on page 2 you will see what Chris Wilkes has done, might tell you what you want to know.I have a number of slender bags made for hard shells with grommets so they are tied in and they have long inflation tubes.( made by DAGGER)

gregn

Post by gregn »

Ditto for Feathercraft. I have a pair and used them in my Klondike, and now with K-I. The inner casing and outer protective envelope gives me a pretty good insurance.

Here is one of the ways I install them.

joedog

Post by joedog »

NRS makes float bags that are very strong. Check them out online.

Return to “Safety and Navigation Gear”