Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:22 pm 
The pair I have now from warmers: http://www.rei.com/product/685193 needs replacing as the lightweight nylon material on the sides of the fingers is coming apart. Similar gloves I've looked at all have the same construction: some thicker material on the palm and top of the hand, with a real thin - stretchy nylon/lycra like material in-between the fingers. The rest of the glove is fine, but the fabric in-between the fingers is just not strong enough.

Anyone have any recommendations? Going without isn't an option in Maine, and full glove will be overkill in Florida.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:15 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I used to be a fishing guide in NY Harbor about 8 years ago. We fished March through December, I feel your pain, literally.

I found a pair of Simm's fishing gloves during these years and I'm still using them every winter. The glove is fingertip-less, but it has a mitten that wraps over the top when you don't need the fine dexterity. I wore these with silk or polypropeline (sp) liners underneath (maintained tactile feeling and added a little warmth). I'm thinking I tried to keep them as dry as possible, but I'm sure they regularly got soaked.

I tried everything I could find, and these were the only ones that worked. I had some neoprene gloves for a while but the tactile capability was extremely poor and they stank so bad after a month I had to throw them away.

I'll see if I can find a link for the Simm's glove. I can't think of what they are made of. Not sure they're going to be the answer for kayaking, but may be worth a try.

Here's a link:

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/windst ... mitt.html#

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP